1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'The Protector' Option / Alternative

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Clever Moniker, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just purchased a v Five w/ AT, black/bisque last night.

During the process, we were offered an external & interior protection service called The Protector. Basically a paint clear coat & some sort of coating on the interior to prevent stains & such from settling in.

As most of these things are BS, I passed on all of them (& actually laughed out loud a bit when they offered the 'soundproof undercoating').

Now, some are good ideas I believe, but the price markup is just absolutely ridiculous. Just wondering if anyone knows of any kind of coating/spray thing (i.e. Scotchguard) that I could put on the fake leather we have? With two young kids + dog, it is just inevitable for something to happen.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you need....The Protector!

If I was you, I'd just Google Interior Fabric Protection.

I know most people are mistrustful, and rightly so, of dealership extra's.

You have a juxtaposition of attitude going on here. "As most of these things are BS, I passed on all of them" vs. "Now some are good ideas I believe".

Your instinct that you probably can obtain these services cheaper DIY, or even professionally outside the dealership is probably correct.

How ridiculous was the mark-up? Did the dealership offer any personally backed warranty to the interior and/or exterior with purchase of said service?

I think I side with you that usually these services can be had cheaper. But I admit I had the dealership I purchased my Honda Fit from install a 3M clear-bra, to the front. It was a weak moment, and even though I knew I could probably have it done cheaper on my own? It was simply convienent.

I have to admit? Even though I suspect I paid more than I should, in this particular instance it seems like it worked out. A couple months into ownership the Clearbra was stained by an WMD style bird dropping, and the dealership stood behind their warranty and had the section professionally detailed, removing the stain. Maybe an aftermarket installer would of offered a similar warranty? But it was convienent to simply leave the problem at the dealership.

I'd do some investigating. Depends on what level of protection you want. Depends on how much you want to do yourself.

There is a whole world of paint sealents, wax's, polishes, etc. Many people like Zano.

There is a whole world of interior fabric protection products DIY as well as usually locally busineses that offer the service.

And then.....there's THE PROTECTOR.....

Oh, and some dealerships have an outside shop do this work anyway. Sometimes if you casually ask around, you can find out "who" is doing this work for the dealership, then call them directly and pose as just a public customer wondering how much to have similar services done. You can see exactly how much the dealership mark-up is, or whether a warranty is offered by the installer/service provider.

I think the internet and your phone are your friends here.

....I just noticed you purchased a Black vehicle...with a bisque interior? So basically the hardest exterior color to keep looking good, coupled with a light easily stained interior color....2 dogs and kids?

Make the phone calls today.

3. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I did not elaborate too well perhaps. Basically what I meant was that most of that stuff is BS (like that soundproofing thing) - but some things like some fabric/leather protectant is probably a decent idea, just marked up a ridiculous amount.
    I really doubt they 'personally' back anything. They do the corporate-given stance on the matter. IIRC, The Protector is a 7-yr system, with exceptions.
    Convenience is certainly something that is hard to quantify in dollars. But in my case $1K for some mostly questionable items was too much.
    This forum was step1 of said research. I just don't know if Scotchguard for example could be used on this 'fake leather' mat'l or not. I was hoping some others would.
    Coloring=wife's choice. I essentially had no input on this part whatsoever.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd like to know more about the soundproofing. maybe they have something there.

5. jbarch

jbarch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As for the exterior protection, I know a guy who runs the bodyshop at a Ford dealer. He claims that the "clearcoat" dealers offer is a total ripoff – basically just a $1,500 wax job. Your car's paint already comes with a clearcoat, standard.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A paint clear coat? All new cars have clear coat over the paint. They would probably only be putting something like a Zaino sealant on. Maybe only something off any auto parts shelf. Complete waste of money. There is nothing you can put on your exterior that will protect it for some extended period of time regardless of what happens. And quality detailing takes quite a bit of time, I've found.

Wouldn't be surprised if the interior 'coating' is only Scotchgard or the like. Again, complete waste of money.

I heard a ridiculous initial figure of $800 mentioned for this. pffft. DYI or pay your trusted detailer.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is 0% chance anyone is spraying anything on the paint to protect it. Painting at the manufacturer is done in cleanrooms with robots and IIRC, NUMMI said it takes about 11 hours per car to do all the steps.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They saying you wouldn't need to wax the car for 7 years? They're FOS.