1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The real demand for 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sshaw10, Mar 15, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Memories . . .

My father bought a Buick Estate Wagon in the early 70s. He was quite pleased with the purchase. I think it came with the 455 CID engine (7.5 liters, I believe). The wheelbase was about 116 inches, I think, and the car itself had to be at least 19 feet long -- it wouldn't fit in our garage!! We had gone with 8-10 years of Ford Country Squire Wagons in the 60s and early 70s. What a hoot! The giant Ford fit, but the Buick boat didn't! Our garage was at least 20 feet deep! (Closing on 6,000 mm)

2. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is this good news for those looking to buy a 2010 Prius?

Hybrid Car Sales Go From 60 to 0 at Breakneck Speed

I would think that an ailing economy, low gas prices, and greater hybrid competition should moderate the 2010's increase in MSRP, and also allow greater bargaining for prices below MSRP.

Then again, I suppose Toyota might compensate by decreasing production, resulting in less bargaining and fewer options.

I'd guess that Toyota will sell the base model at a "low" MSRP ($23k) and significant loss in order to compete with other hybrids and the poor economy in general, but attempt to compensate by attaching heavy premiums to the upgraded models ($27k for Model 4, $29k for Model 5, plus $1k+ for any option packages)

Get 'em in the door with a base model price, then show 'em all the cool toys they can have for $5-10k more.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All I can do is relate it to our Prius buying experience:

1. 2001 - we test drove a Prius and even rented it for two days. But the only version they had included the navigation option; no cruise control; and the price was $10k over an equivalent Echo with cruise control. No deal.
    2. 2005 (spring) - we're on a waiting list for a Prius and the dealer calls,"First person here with $1,000 get a chance." No deal! I am not going to a Prius auction.
    3. 2005 (fall) - lost commuting car in accident and found a used, 2003, $17k, about $1k under Kelly Blue Book, from a Toyota dealer who would give me temporary plates to get it home. DEAL!
    So I'm looking at getting a base model or whatever is available in the USA at base model prices. If so, DEAL. If not, well my 2003 is not broke and I have this road map for what works to make it more efficient. ... <hummmm>

Bob Wilson

4. Herodotus

Herodotus New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with the other two posters, this is an important concept.

In a nation that was doing no long term planning for Peak Oil (back in 2004), voting with my wallet for a technology supporting battery assisted vehicles (leading soon to very impressive lithium-ion hybrids or electrics) was important. In 2004 friends told me "the numbers" didn't add up for a Prius, but I pointed out that gasoline prices will rise most summers, which they have. And as expected, there is now a global race for an automotive lithium-ion battery, almost ready for market (2010, 2011). This will be a game-changer, and they will continue to improve with engineering tweaks.

Some people pay $thousands extra for more horsepower. "The numbers" don't add up, if you are thinking in terms of time=money. Some people like more horsepower and going fast; I like supporting 21st Century new technology, and having a spaceship-type car. I've been watching the Chevy Volt development, and I like Toyota's progress with hybrids.

Bring 'em on.
    :D