1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Rebirth of the electric car

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by daveleeprius, Sep 21, 2007.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This past Sunday, my report on the rebirth of the electric car aired on “CBS News Sunday Morning.†You can see it here.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/06/...in3239838.shtml

CBS gave me a juicy long time for the segment–but the truth is, there was enough good material to fill a miniseries. Like the interview with auto-industry superstar Bob Lutz, now a top executive at General Motors (vice chairman, global of product development), and the driving force between the upcoming Volt electric car. He’s a funny, smart, engaging guy, although he’s certainly got GM’s interests at heart.

But since I now have the luxury of an e-newsletter, and you have the luxury of a scroll bar, here it is: is a longer chunk of that interview.

[See the rest of the article here:]

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/...r/index.html?hp

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice stuff David, can we clone you and send one of each of the clones to every major news outlet?

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, thumbs up ! I really enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing with us.

It was quite entertaining - something lacking in many news stories.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi DaveLee...

Great report! You, and people like you are the reason I still watch the TV I do.

Still think the GM is not giving engineers a free hand on the Volt. That exterior design is just not compliant with a high efficiency car. If anything kills the 40 mpg goal, it will be the juvenile engineering of the shape of the car, including the monster tires.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Tesla is an electric car.

The Volt is not. It still has a gasoline engine. How much the engine will be in use is still a question. Yes, that 40 mile range will do for 85% of the population. If it gets the 40 mile range. But having that engine doesn't really make it an electric car, just another type of hybrid.

I'll wait until Tesla comes out with their sedan that seats five and is priced under $50,000.

Nice piece though. And I'm looking forward to "Who Saved the Electric Car".

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Reading the comments of the N.Y. Times blog was refreshing, seeing what so many think of what's being promised.

7. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Excellent work. Hope to see more of these types of pieces. Thank you for it.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 21 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]515990[/snapback]</div>
    Well the GM released a much more mature version of the Volt concept for their European consumers at the Frankfurt Auto Show called the Opel Flextreme. It uses the same chassis as the volt with a wagon / people-mover body and has a diesel engine instead of the volt's gasoline engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The follow link has some more information and many more pictures:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/frankfurt-auto-sh...show-297707.php

9. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it just me or does that Opel Flextreme have a very similar body shape to the Prius (especially from the side)?

I guess Toyota can be satisfied that imitation is the greatest form of flattery! :lol:

10. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Phenominal piece.

Great job of explaining everything from the drawbacks of ethanol and hydrogen to the pollution concerns about coal-generated electricity, to the upcoming electric cars from Tesla and GM.

The report couldn't have been much better.

11. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JustLurkin @ Sep 22 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]516164[/snapback]</div>
    It is just you. :) Really the 5 door hatchback is a very common shape in Europe. The Prius shape isn't anything special there. Just a few examples.

Ford Focus:
    [​IMG]

Ford C-Max:
    [​IMG]

Mercedes A-Class:
    [​IMG]

Mercedes B-Class:
    [​IMG]