1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Secret Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Jan 14, 2018.

1. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First year rollout is always slow for a variety of reasons, including that one. With worldwide distribution taking place, there's limited inventory available. That tends to create a market target effect... filtering out all but the early adopters, despite being a mainstream intended product. That works great for the sharing of real-world data, prior to the big production ramp-up.

It's how realistic expectations are set. You avoid backlash by not just flooding the market with a product people don't understand.

Remember, it isn't just the disenchanted to be attentive to. There are those who want Prime to fail. Taking the time to let the initial owners guide the way is priceless. That underlying goal of making more money takes a lot to achieve. Great engineering alone is not enough.

jerrymildred and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. stuyguy

stuyguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    January is a tough sakes month and 2017 inventory must be cleared out. That's a great opportunity for those paying close attention.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AL? It's not moving to Mexico? (Is the AL one the new Toyota-Mazda Joint Venture?)

Not much. I don't think. I've seen more push about "Canadian made" on RAV4 and Civic. (and not so much Corolla or Odyssey).

HPrimeAdvanced and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mostly agreeing but with a shading:
    The Huntsville Toyota dealer also owns the Mitsubishi franchise which is where their only L2 charger is located. But there is no charger on the Toyota side. Of course this is SouthEast Toyota region who has history dragging their feet with new technology. Only one dealer, BMW/Jaguar/Land Rover, has nine EVSE ports:
    [​IMG]
    How does a dealer repair a charging circuit if they don't have an EVSE?
    This is why it is important to give Toyota feedback on their first model year:
    • Gen-1 2003 Prius was improved over the 2001 with addition of cruise control.
    • Gen-2 2009 Prius better than the 2004 if nothing else than fixing the poor solder joint Hobbit diagnosed.
    • Gen-3 2015 Prius improved over the 2010 by leaving the factory with the 'brake pause' fix.
    Sad to say there is one Prius Prime problem, excessive wheel camber, that I've not tried to share with Toyota. It is highly technical and also found in our BMW i3-REx. The effect wears out tires sooner than necessary. Tire sellers see the pattern of uneven tread wear but the defect sells more tires.

Bob Wilson

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is a matter of HOW, not WHY.

Approach makes a huge difference.

Know your audience.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So Toyota gives owners a web interface:
    Toyota Owners Official Web Site

So I logged into my account and found a contact page listing:
    • phone numbers
    • e-mail form - does not work with Safari
    • postal address
    When Safari would not let me enter an e-mail message, I wrote a letter. Later, I found Firefox worked so I cut and pasted the letter. Curiously here are the e-mail options:

1. Select a Topic
    *Required
    • Recall Information
    • New Vehicle Information
    • Toyota Certified Used Information
    • Dealership Sales Experience
    • Dealership Service Experience
    • Website Content
    • Entune/Bluetooth
    • Navigation
    • Accessibility
    • Other
    Notice there is no "suggestion" option. Just the generic "Other" which is what I used. Now there is a difference between a 'suggestion' and a 'problem.' A suggestion doesn't cost me anything but problem costs money. For example, I would suggest Toyota switch the steering wheel functions to be identical to my BMW i3-REx. But this doesn't cost me money. In contrast, unnecessary running the gas engine does pick my pocket.

Monday afternoon was nice so I drove the dogs to the dog park. But I forgot to check the temperature and SOC and used the cruise control. Sure enough, the engine came ON. Knowing I would probably have to wait at a left turn light, I restarted the car at the light, no problem.

After the turn, I drove without cruise control but had to go over a small ridge line and OPPS, the engine came ON. Since I was on the downslope and no easy place to park, I continued until I could safely restart the car. Ultimately it turns out I burned 5% of a gallon, 1/20th of a gallon because of the defective Prime control laws in "EV mode" dealing with cruise control and possibly the hill climb and descent.

Since I haven't reported the hill climb and descent, your recommendation is to write a 'suggestion' letter and/or e-mail? Is there a better address to Toyota than the one in "My Toyota?"

Let me try a first draft:

Dear Toyota,

I suggest the Prius Prime "EV mode" is misleading as it sometimes starts the engine going up and descending hills. A retired engineer living on a fixed income with my wife, we bought the Prius Prime to cut our driving cost in half by driving in "EV mode."

This winter we found that "EV mode" can start the gas engine going up or down a hill. Turning on the engine burns gasoline and increases our cost. "EV mode" is not the same as "EV Auto" mode that should turn on the engine to meet power demands. This behavior on hills is not described in the Owner's Manual.

We bought the Prius Prime so we could afford to drive affordable and unambiguously in "EV mode." We expected "EV auto" to be a blended EV and engine mode. Sad to say, "EV mode" appears to be an undocumented, blended mode.

cc: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howle​

This draft starts with "suggest" and soon brings in a legally definable term, "misleading." It incorporates the hurt, the cost of running the engine, and identifies the injured party, a retired family. For good measure, a copy sent to some land sharks.

Hummm, maybe we should just work with the land sharks? Yes, instead of reporting a problem or even a suggestion, let the lawyers handle resolution of the suggestion. ... NOT!

Bob Wilson

#49 bwilson4web, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes
    Toyota, Mazda announce $1.6 billion plant for Huntsville, Alabama | Reuters

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently they are planning on making Tacomas in Mexico at that plant.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I initially read that line differently :oops:

Prius Maximus and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now bob, you should know by now that toyota never has, never will and can never do anything wrong.:cool:

15. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody, (besides Tesla) needs to get off their rear ends and make a sexy, sporty electric car. Remember when the first Scion XB came out? Everybody laughed at it...........that is...........until they sold like crazy due to its roominess, utility, gas mileage and sportiness. Most of the Car companies are trying to compete with Toyota when it comes to hybrids or electric cars. I say, develop the most sexy, fast and affordable hybrid or electric car...........and watch sales go thru the roof.

In regards to the prime, I am confused like everyone here. I have seem more Primes on the road than 2016 Prius's. Toyota needs to build a car called the "PrimeX" or, "PrimeFactor" or "PrimeSport". It should be a two seater, fully loaded, and sexy as hell! I would sell my 2015 Prius to get one.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here I have seen a few Gen 4 on the road but no Primes. Quite a few older Prii though.

17. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr. Montgomery I'm in lockstep with you!!
    I was, and still am looking for a hatchback, 2 seat plug-in hybrid Prime-type, super lightweight, sportscar! No, because of my driving style, I don't want a BEV. A 2200 lb, 15kWh or so battery pack plug-in with full instruments, no GPS (just provision for a Garmin), and I'll trade in my Prime Advanced!! Call me when it comes in!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Montgomery likes this.
  18. SR-71

SR-71 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "There were no Advanced models; there was no demo, prepped for test driving!"

I had to laugh at this. :) Heck, no local dealers within 250 miles my location even stocked one Prime in 2017, let alone demo's! I had to drive 500 miles north to buy mine.

Perhaps Toyota probably realizes the Prime's 25 EV miles (or so) isn't going to save owners enough money in fuel costs to write home about (over a standard Prius), not to mention the trade-off in hatch storage area and no spare tire, so they were never anxious to flood the US market with Primes (hence the lack of advertising). I'm guessing Toyota realizes with so many car manufacturers stepping up their EV efforts, Toyota needs step up their game beyond 25 EV miles (or so).

We're closing in on February 2018 and the 2017 Prime is still be advertised on Toyota's website. Something is up.

Liz Waters and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  19. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I struggle with the economics here and can see why Toyota might not be really pushing for a larger battery.
    My Gen3 Prius used about $1000/year in gas. That's 20K miles at 50mpg and $2.50/gal
    My Prime is looking like it will come in closer to $700 for similar usage. 20K miles with 2/3rd EV at $0.03/mile and 1/3rd HV at 55mpg.
    Yes, everyone's gas/electric prices are different but I'm seeing $300/year fuel savings.

BUT, assume Toyota made the battery significantly larger and I could do 85% of my driving in EV.
    That would reduce my yearly fuel cost to about $650...Not a huge difference...
    I love EV driving but there is only so much more I would be willing to pay for a longer-ev-range Prime and it probably isn't enough to get Toyota really excited about adding battery cost to a Prime.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add some data to the mix, my 2010 Prius II with 105,000 miles had a total average cost per mile of $0.057 (with no gas prices from 2009 to 2017 over $3.50). My 2017 Prime with 5,381 miles has a total average cost per mile of $0.0169 to date. (no gas prices over 2.49 so far) The $0.0169 includes charging costs @ $0.06 per kWh.

Yes I expect the future gas prices to rise and match the 2010 Prius gas price history closer but even so, if I drove a lot of annual miles, that a big cost difference even in a cheap gasoline state. Yes, lots of variables with kWh prices, gas prices etc., but I think Toyota is missing out by making these so hard to get USA wide. I'm realizing a definite savings over my 2010.

Note, our 2014 Camry Hybrid with 30,513 miles has a total average cost per mile of $0.0633.