1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Secret Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Jan 14, 2018.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am truly stunned by the hundreds of thousands of people packing that New York International Auto Show as displayed in that video!! NOT !!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

I can't believe it!! It's a MIRAGEE !! You ain't gonna see that ad out heah in Califormula!! Only the Toyota religious and pious (sorry, Priuscatprimeguy!) are endowed with the Prime Directive to purchase.
    Mere peasants shall not own one!!

#61 HPrimeAdvanced, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
  2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about an EV FRZ/86? Dual motors in the rear with battery up front in place of the ICE. Prime pack x 2?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. SR-71

SR-71 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "... assume Toyota made the battery significantly larger and I could do 85% of my driving in EV."

My rough math per mile works out to approximately 2.2 cents per mile on EV power and approximately 4 cents per mile on gas (given current gas prices and my cost per kwh), so the the further I can run on EV power, the more savings. YMMV

The limiting EV factor with the Prime is that it wasn't totally redesigned as a plug-in hybrid, but instead just modifications were made to the basic Prius to accommodate an extra battery and associated components We saw the EV range double from the 1st Gen Plug in Prius to the Prime. Perhaps we'll eventually see a redesign that incorporates a larger battery (or additional battery) under the rear seat.

jerrymildred and bwilson4web like this.
  4. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What do you think your current EV percentage is? I'm looking at something around 1/3 HV and 2/3 EV, maybe a little lower with recent winter weather.

Using your cost numbers and 20K/year usage and still assuming that a bigger battery would move you from 66% EV to 85% EV I get:
    At 66% EV usage, you're looking at $560 total cost/year.
    at 85% EV usage, you would be down to $495 /year

How much more would you be willing to spend for a bigger battery? You could save $65/year in energy and maybe more importantly drive an extra ~20% of your miles in EV mode.

I'm concerned that Toyota doesn't think we would be willing to pay for the larger battery. If they wanted to charge an extra $1000 for the 2x battery version, that would be a 15 year break-even if I only looked at cost.

And, that's a lot of battery for just $1000. Isn't the target to get below $100/KWh so another 9KWh for a prime would cost $900, not including any profit or other engineering work Toyota would need to do. AND, current costs are nowhere near $100/KWh so be patient.

Now maybe if we're willing to pay $3K or more for this bigger battery beauty, Toyota might see a market. I'm personally not...HV isn't that bad.

5. SR-71

SR-71 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Being retired, 90% of my driving is to our one horse town which is about 10 miles away, so I have a high EV percentage.

I'd be willing pay an additional $3k to raise the EV range from 25 to 100-120 mile EV range. Having that EV range would accommodate the major of my trips. (Some Tesla Model 3 owners are ponying up an additional $9k for an additional 100 miles of EV range.)

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Having two plug-in hybrids, 25 and 72 EV miles, the allure of having more of today's batteries does not tempt me. Full disclosure, we have modest requirements. I retired last year in a 200k sized, Southern town with my wife and her dogs.

A nice day, I drove the BMW i3-REx today. Two trips around town and home for a nap. At midnight it is L1 charging and already at 85%. By morning, it will be fully charged. Had I taken the Prime, it would have been one EV trip.

Bob Wilson

7. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

8. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We currently own a LEAF and a Prime but I'd like to swap the Prime for a Model 3 this year.
    That should work for years, and I'll retire along with the LEAF ;-)
    Then the single, all purpose EV just might last until my wife and I stop driving.

There. My life is planned out.

#68 Oniki, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  9. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I hoping that autonomous driving could save the day.

10. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This where my super light, say 2000 lbs, Prime Coupe, even with today's battery technology would provide a lot more range. Also not needing rear seating, there'd be extra room for a spare, AND bigger battery. Who needs a Tesla, if you can eliminate range anxiety with a Prime Coupe!!

Montgomery and RuthlessTactics like this.
  11. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sport-Coupe-Prime.jpg

cadha13, walterm, Montgomery and 5 others like this.
  12. RuthlessTactics

RuthlessTactics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with the OP. I only learned of this Car's Existence from a CNET review that was done regarding the tech that comes in the car over the summer and Mr. Mobile on YouTube who did a review of the car. I guess Toyota's model is "They will come to US".

13. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Montgomery likes this.
  14. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It might be fun, but maybe you should hold out for the understated elegance of the stretch limo and uniformed chauffeur...

Prius-Prime-Stretch-Limo.jpg

15. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dude, it does look elegant, but I really want a MUCH smaller, fun plug-in derived from a Prime Advanced!! And I definitely want to drive the puppy, no chauffeur (although he/she could come along for the ride!), and especially NO autonomous nonsense/craziness for me!!

Montgomery likes this.
  16. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The idea of a prime coup is really a cool idea. Of course, one of the big 3 will come up something first, load it up with the latest techno stuff to impress the masses, claim 600 miles between charges......................and, zero to infinity in no time and the last dig...........................they will say something like:
    "The first real Hybrid Sportscar" I still like Telsa's coup.

17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That has always been the case with the Prius, I can only assume all the dealerships are a bunch of dimwits.My last Prime Salesman knew almost nothing, but with every question or request he made an honest attempt, for that I give him credit. But he was unusual with his cooperation. At the very least, they should keep all in a high state of charge, for readiness and to protect the HV battery.

Montgomery likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh, surprisingly, it looks pretty cool as a limousine lol.

19. HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Airport Bum

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was considering the Prime last year and had filled out something online looking for information. My local dealer called me up and told me he had just received 4 Prime's and invited me to come down for a look... so I made an appointment and went in. Now I have owned 3 Prii and currently have a Camry Hybrid purchased from the same dealer...

So when I arrive at the dealership... they don't know where the Prime's are parked... and when found... none of them are charged. Pitiful way to sell a product.

Then frankly I got totally bummed when I saw that if you live in the NE Toyota will gladly knock $3,500 (last year) off the price before you even start to negotiate with the dealer. I think I have seen the NE USA is getting an even larger discount now!

Andyprius1 likes this.
  20. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One heck of a discount, if true.