1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Secret Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Andyprius1 likes this.
  2. RuthlessTactics

RuthlessTactics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can confirm that is true. Since trying to find this car in Chicagoland was next to non-existent, I ended up taking a red eye to New Jersey, bought the car and drove back home. I’ve had it now for 3 weeks and was worth the trip!

#82 RuthlessTactics, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    pilotgrrl, HPrimeAdvanced and padroo like this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Both of my local dealers only have four Prii on their lots and no Prime.

4. SHDL

SHDL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like the idea of a stretch Prius Prime! It brings to mind the day I arrived at the Austin Texas airport about 3 years ago. I called my hotel for a ride, and they picked my up in a stretch Leaf! The driver told me that the hotel special ordered the car from Nissan, and he thought it was one of a kind. Maybe Toyota could solve the 2-passenger rear seat limitation the same way! ;)

Stretch_Leaf.JPG

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those of you who want a Prime coupe: it exists and is marketed as a hybrid sports/supercar. It's called the Honda NSX.

[​IMG]

I was inclined to pick one up, but all the local dealers wanted 20k over MSRP and they mandated that you option the car with the carbon-ceramic brakes (which are nice, but fairly pricy).

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honda licensed Toyota's Gen 4 HSD? If not, it is no Prime!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    $14,000 for replacement on a Vette.

8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, and it costs a little bit more than $25, too!!! If you're looking at Honda/Acura, the original Honda Insight Hybrid Coupe CONCEPT, should have been developed to plug-in, with Prime-style drive, and extensive use of carbon fiber.
    The price would be seriously less than that so-called Supercar from Acura. Kids!! It's all about Power to Weight ratio!! Let's get serious about getting rid of FAT freaking, oversized jumbo wagons!!! Some of us appreciate a BALANCED, high performance, efficient automobile. Lotus had the right idea; he just needed Toyota to build it!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They last pretty long, but that's consistent with the pricing I see for the new NSX. Each front rotor is about $4k discounted and the rear is about 3.

I think you're reaching quite a bit when it comes to pricing out how much that Insight concept would have cost: The Alfa Romeo 4C exemplifies what a small, lightweight two-seater with extensive use of CF and a carbon tub (complying with current safety regs) can be made for, and they retail at about $65k. Keep in mind that this doesn't even include the cost of a hybrid system. Altogether, you're probably talking about a $70-80k Toyota - that's Luxury-status-symbol money, and people end up buying Porsches and Teslas. I think the only exception that I can think of is the Nissan GT-R, and that's a car with a long (and interestingly sordid; see Motorex) history with a huge number of enthusiasts.

Also, unfortunately Americans are flocking to SUVs in record numbers. If we're talking Toyota specifically; for the first time ever, in 2017 the RAV4 outsold the Camry (although the fact that 2017 was the end of the Camry generation). More broadly, American automakers are to some extent abandoning sedans. Hell, Toyota is thinking of trimming their car lineup in favor of SUVs and Trucks, which have So. Much. Margin.

All that said, I really don't think your average (70.7% of Americans 20+ are overweight or obese) American is going to even fit in a modern Lotus - I'm thinking the Evora here, won't even mention the Elise/Exige (which I have a bit of a love affair with).

pilotgrrl and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  10. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agree with most of your comments, and I know I'm asking Toyota to build me a niche car, but that's what manufacturers do for prestige. Yeah, the large Slobovian peasant masses want their Lumber Wagons and Stupid Useless Vehicles, but I want an ultralight, small plug-in hybrid coupe from the big "T"; hey, if you don't ask, you won't get! The Alfa 4C, is unreliable; Fiat is now running the show, and as a certified Alfaholic, I can't abide purchasing a Fix It Again Tony! Alfas were FANTASTIC in 1969; not anymore! I have taken great pride in not buying a car beloved by the masses; I like quirky and different. My 2012 PiP made me feel like one of the masses; my Prime doesn't, and I like that. I just wish it were MUCH smaller/lighter. I know I'm bucking the trend here, but sc..w the trend!! One thing the fear mongers pushing Land Barges (for so-called safety!), is as America ages, and all those kids move out, people will not NEED these Terrain Turds.
    Hopefully, they'll be able to overcome the marketing brainwashing, but I'm not holding my breath! I stand by my view: America, you and your vehicles are too damn fat!! Lose the weight!!
    BTW, I too am a pork chop, but at least I'm working on it!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

11. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We bought almost a year ago, I stopped into the local NC stealership(SEToyota) for BSM at that time, and the sales manager came running out and asked "where did you get this car, we've been trying for months to get one?". I told him about the journey up North, and discussed Jim Moran Enterprises, in which he was well versed. Now almost a year later, I stopped in again for touch up paint, and what do you know, there right in center front of the stealership sat a Prime Advanced. The service manager, a very competent guy said it came directly from Toyota, not another dealer, and the window sticker supported this. Of course he told me they had a buyer on day one, but management refuses to sell it?? Marketing and selling this car is a dark hole.

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that was what was supposed to happen at my nearest dealer. But they went ahead and sold it anyway. Then, I guess they managed to sell another one, but I think it was probably special ordered.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.