1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Secret to incredible range ( right here )

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Andyprius1, May 21, 2018.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, if EV charge is around 18 or lower, just hold the hv/ev button until the charge light comes on. If it is done too soon the computer will read battery fully loaded and not charge.
    May come in handy on trips. Definitely works if your short on gasoline but want to insure you make it to the gas station. Helps me prepare for next uphill portion.

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    F5148FDC-3EF0-487C-A7D2-F1FE6F15DD0A.jpeg
    I am interested in the kwhrs, gallons and miles traveled to baseline the efficiency of your trips.

Then I can compare
    My 231MPGe
    And
    49.6 MPG
    metrics on a specific trip to the Prime metrics

Andyprius1 likes this.
  3. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Only in the same way that it includes e.g. going down hills.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so not the wall charge.

5. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I apologize, I may have muddied the waters here...

The MPG reading is gallons of petrol consumed divided by miles traveled. While you are using battery to move the car the numerator will stay constant while the denominator will increase. The same would be true while coasting down a hill.

In my car the maximum MPG displayed is 199.9.

Example:
    Let's say the car consumed one gallon over 90 miles in HV mode. The MPG would be 90 MPG.
    Then you switch to EV and travel 10 more miles. The reported MPG will now be 100 MPG.

Working backwards to calculate petrol consumption:
    Over 90 miles, 90 miles/90 mpg = one gallon
    Over 100 miles, 100 miles/100 mpg = one gallon

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks!
    in the pip, even in hv mode, the car consumes a few miles of wall charge before going straight hv. have they corrected that?

7. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    During the ICE warm-up phase the car typically uses some battery energy to keep the ICE in a low load condition. I presume this is done to reduce emissions. After the ICE is warm the car burns a little extra petrol and returns the battery SoC to the value before the ICE warm-up phase.

So it is possible (for a little while, anyway) during a "pure" HV drive to consume a few percent of battery charge. This is why I report all my trips with THREE values:
    Miles traveled
    Battery SoC consumed
    Gallons consumed (calculated by miles/MPG)

For any trip that consumed both NET battery energy and petrol I typically do not know how many miles I traveled by plug-in and how many by petrol, but I do know the amounts of petrol and battery SoC consumed. Since I know from other plug-in only trips how far I can travel on one full charge on level ground, I use that information for my estimate of plug-in miles and then calculate HV mpg.

Clear as mud ? I suspect I am complicating the explanation for what is actually a straightforward exercise.

#27 Oniki, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  8. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Going to HV early in the Prime results in the car consuming a few miles of wall charge, then maintaining about an 80% charge (I'm guessing at the percentage - others may have a more precise answer).

I wouldn't call it *behavior that needs to be corrected* - I would call it lithium battery management, and making sure there is room for regen energy :)

bisco likes this.
  9. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Prime does not report MPGe, and I have no idea what it means in a Volt.

I really think you have to report:
    Trip miles
    kWh from the meter
    Gallons of petrol

Your car might tell you kWh from the battery for a trip, or certainly beginning and end SoC. Either should be enough information to back calculate kWh from the meter. L1 charging has about 17% charging losses and L2 about 12% charging losses.

Of course the driver and conditions are not the same. If you just want to compare Volt Vs Prime, look up the EPA values for CS and CD in the form of MPG and MPGe. The mpg is HV mode and MPGe is plug-in ("EV") mode.

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 3.47.17 PM.jpg

For the 2018 model years, the Prime is 54/42 = 28.5% more efficient in HV ("petrol") mode
    And 133/106 = 25.3% more efficient in plug-in ("battery") mode
    Both are combined highway/city values

.... And now, back to OP's topic. If you want to compare the two cars some more, please start a new thread.

#29 Oniki, May 22, 2018
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what my pip does. because of that, i have no way to calculate mpg's unless i start with no wall charge.

11. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just note the start and end SoC

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do i work that into the calculation?

13. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Example:

You drove 11.5 miles,
    Used 10% SoC
    Displayed trip mpg is 60, so gallons consumed are 11.5/60 = 0.1917 Gallons

Let's say you know that your typical range from the use of full charge is 15 miles. Then 10% SoC use is 1.5 miles
    HV miles are then 11.5 - 1.5 = 10
    And HV mpg is 10/0.1917 = 52.17

This calc has an underlying assumption of level ground driving. Which is fine, since it is not very interesting to wonder about a drive that e.g. is plug-in going up and ICE going down ;-)

#33 Oniki, May 22, 2018
    breakfast likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha, thanks!

15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The volt works with a onboard generator that automatically charges the HV Battery when necessary and thus works quite a bit differently. It’s really more a BEV with unlimited range. I am curious about the 231MPGe tho.
    Tell me about that. I should think that with a onboard generator fuel consumption could always be the same X
    the minutes in operation. It’s apparent that you do have precise fuel used, Prii do not have that. With that figure and trip miles, MPG can be figured

#35 Andyprius1, May 22, 2018
  16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it’s one thing 2013 plus Volts do correctly

The Volt is a fair to hot weather car, my EV portion is mostly 45mph or slower country roads with 6 miles of 60mph freeway,
    the Volt is the easiest car I’ve ever owned to hypermile (but only electrically, difficult to hypermile gas side)

Gas use is mostly on 65mph freeway,
    8 months of the year my electric metrics on that trip bounce from 68-73 EV miles and ice side 40-50 mpg which is mostly from temperature variations.

The Volt does engage the ICE to the wheels at higher speeds so it’s not pure series, also why the ICe can do poorly in the city but well at slightly higher speeds

Andyprius1 likes this.
  17. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, This is what was confusing to me as well (what I mentioned in post # 4). What mode are you using There are three: "Normal Mode", "Power Mode" and "Eco Mode". You are using "Eco Mode" according to your post. You also have choices of "EV-HV" or "EV-Auto". That was the auto mode I was asking about when I asked about auto mode in my post. That lets the computer decide whether to use EV/HV/ICE. That's what I was also questioning as Salamander King pointed out: "You "said "if EV comes on, eliminate it". That means you are switching from EV mode to HV mode."?

Andyprius1 likes this.
  18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry for the confusion, yes I was only in eco mode, but, the ICE comes on more than I had thought so cancel that whole post. I think I thought I was getting free energy. It’s probably because the energy monitor is to the right.

I wanted to test the volt on the same day I bought the Prime, Dec 2016. I ended up being sidetracked by the Prime that was on the lot. I was very interested in the prime at the time and had done some research and visited other dealers. The fact that they had one on the lot floored me! To make a short stormy long, I never got over to the Chevy dealer.

#38 Andyprius1, May 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
    bwilson4web and Dudley1030 like this.
  19. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I know those roads well. They are the same ones that I routinely get 140+ mpg on a 120 mile trip. Hypermileing is real easy in the ,Prime, with a 4000 foot drop in elevation. I once went 85 miles on 24 miles of electric range on those roads. It was almost all down hill.

benagi and Dudley1030 like this.