1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Sun Controls Earths Climate not CO2

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by mojo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some issues for me here in completing this reference list. Sorry

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well this is painful. Assuming the last cookie thing is readable for y'all, my last link would have been to

"Attribution of observed surface humidity changes to human influence"
    Katharine M. Willett, Nathan P. Gillett, Philip D. Jones & Peter W. Thorne
    Nature 2007
    doi:10.1038/nature06207

Again I apologize for the jumble. What you should have is links to 6 published papers and 1 submitted, that analyze global humidity trends. Whether the gold standard is among them would require some close inspection.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I would not want (my clumsy) linking to humidity literature to distract from another point mentioned @36.

When it is warmer, sea water must thermally expand. No doubters there I trust. So look at the wikipedia sea-level page (I fear to link to it but you know where it is :) ) The last graph is smooth over the last 6000 years, during that time 1 meter of sea-level rise. Some of that is melt and some expansion, but let's pretend for now that it is all expansion. This is 0.17 millimeters per year, rounding upwards.

Current sea-level rise from the "sealevel.colorado.edu" web page is 3.1 millimeters per year. Is this dominated by melt? No, according the very recent Science paper I, Zen, and Austin have all linked to in the ice thread. Current sea-level rise is dominated by thermal expansion.

My point is that 3.1 is greater than 0.17. Therefore, current thermal expansion is rather out of range for these 6000 years.

There have indeed been warm and cold periods during those 6000, but the literature I have seen and cited at PC suggest that they were regional and compensated by contrary patterns elsewhere. This is not a presumption as it is consistent with the 6000-year steady gradual sea level rise.

Until recently, and we do now seem to been in an unusual period.

Of course, this is also consistent with the non-polar icemelt exposing 1000's of year old things. I feel that we have been through all this before here, but my inclination where possible is to be patient with slow learners.

All this excitement makes me sad to be missing the AGU meeting in San Francisco, happening now.