1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Toyota Mirai (FCV) Thread

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by usbseawolf2000, Dec 9, 2014.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ditto to natural gas fuelled BEV or coal fueled BEV.

What about solar fuelled hydrogen car? Do you support it?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    you're still missing the point. An EV (& plugins) will reduce gasoline usage, since most are in California where the grid is cleaner already. Once again, you are still arguing like many plugins are in West Virginia. That's just not the case, and continuing to say it, won't make it so.
    we've already beat that dead horse, and provided links that show what a huge waste of electricity that is, regardless of whether its coal, solar, or PV electricity.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You should probably check the budget before making such bizare statements. There were suposed to be 100 stations by 2010. Chu attempted to cut the budget for comercialization, but congress restored it.

Congress Forces The DOE To Take Hydrogen Funding - Business Insider
    You can't blame the lack of infrastructure on the federal government. They have spent over $3B. Again this is fred's house of poltics stuff, but really it wouldn't have taken much of that $3B to build 40 good 5000 psi stations (the ones car companies wanted at the time) in southern California if there were actually cars that were ready when the federal government wanted to spend the money.

Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you are the one missing the point.

Plugin incentives were given national wide (thanks god more are not sold in dirty electricity states). A cleaner hybrids would also reduce gasoline usage, even more. Only if they were given an even level incentive ground. The point was the incentive was not leveled, despite both techs being capable of reducing gas consumption.
    Nope. Only if you have heard about Photocatalysts. Don't let Photovoltaic close your mind.

Panasonic moves closer to home energy self-sufficiency with fuel cells | PriusChat

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    "Closer" being the operative word. In other words we ain't there yet. But I hope it works for them. Until then it's just not our present-day reality.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, keep your mind open and stop saying natural gas hydrogen car.

There is an efficient path from solar to hydrogen that can be stored relatively easy and refuel as fast as gasoline. It will be a game changer. Building the infrastructure for that future is a wise investment.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hybrids have tailpipe emissions, so they shouldn't get any ZEV credits. They have also been available for 15 years now, don't appear to need any help with continued sales, and rising CAFE numbers will push more hybridization.

Neither does the Volt get 'real' ZEV credits. Since PHVs do accomplish the ZEV goals for most driving, they probably should get a credit during this transitional time.
    The link, as always, is in my signature.

And a FCEV driver can take advantage of that incentive too. It isn't just for plug in owners.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wow this is wonderful, I am convinced! Any transportation that can run on lemonade is OK by me. And 30,000 people are interested. That can only mean that we need to quickly earmark a trillion dollars to build out a national infrastructure. I hope that our taxes can be raised, so we can quickly create this miracle of science. Thank You Toyota, thank you thank you thank you. I should tear down my solar panels right now & get the gas company to install a much larger main line to my house so I can install a huge renewable energy fuel cell.

#189 hill, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    vinnie97, lensovet and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    WOW!

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tell me that's not an actual tv commercial? :eek:

When I saw it it reminded me of this;

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I saw it I thought of the onion, and looking it up it was produced by J.J. Adler one of the producers of the onion news network. I'm sure he was inspired by some of those simpson's fake films. Still much better than the Lexus advertising. Perhaps he pulled a fast one on toyota. Look at some other similar onion work.

And hill's last post might fuel this concept, note they were making fun of GM and fuel cell cars back then.
    New Anger-Powered Cars May Revolutionize The Way We Drive - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

#192 austingreen, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    hill and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just fyi on the sugar in lemonade to hydrogen idea.
    Sweet hydrogen: how sugar could help satisfy the world's energy needs | Lou Del Bello | Science | The Guardian

definitely possible, but expensive right now. The trick is that same biomass could be used to create electricity, ethanol, methanol, or methane. That is electricity or biofuels. Bacardi has wonderfully efficient distilleries where agricultural waste is converted to animal feed and bio gas (methane mainly) then the bio gas burned to generate electricity and steam. The bacardi methods need a lot of water, but much of the US midwest has good growing and lots of rain, river, and lakes. I'm sure you could make hydrogen not ethanol and electricity, but that ethanol and electricity might power a flex fuel phev much cheaper. Key is to figure out how to get cost down, but as the guardian article said, people are working on that.

Trollbait likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Déjà vu - of the creepiest kind - the ad man.
    these campaigns we joke about above - I'm reminded of another work of art;

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No need for that. You just need to stay quiet and let others that find hydrogen fuel cell suitable for their needs, enjoy their FCV.

You keep on enjoying your solar panels and BEV.

Yup, solar panels cost a lot more 10 years ago. Cost will come down. It is a concern now but it is not the point.

The point is, Mirai can be powered by bullshit or lemonade :) It can be powered by anything. That means, shifting away from gasoline and importing oil. That point is lost with the plugins and BEV advocates, whom they are trying to achieve the same.

#195 usbseawolf2000, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hill has a special need to give others unwanted opinions, now he is in Ludicrous mode, :). He does not like trumpet, so nobody should be playing the trumpet: Small, Angry Man Yells at Trumpet Player in New York City

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hydrogen can be made way, but so can electricity.
    Turning cow poo into power is profitable for US farm - Yahoo News
    And there are farms that have been operating these systems for far longer, and we already have an extensive network to get the electricity to where it is used. It is cheaper to do than trucking poo or hydrogen around.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have to choice to build the grid or hydrogen highway, which would cost less?

Consider the speed of the energy that can transfer.

#198 usbseawolf2000, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  19. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An electric grid exclusively for cars? Then that would be silly. The grid is already there as it powers my house, and the local businesses too.

Hydrogen is a solution to the problem with what to do with s8*t loads of natural gas the US suddenly has from fracking. You'd be better feeding it straght into powerstations and closing down oil and coal plants instead.

I'm not sure if you genuinely believe hydrogen is the future, you're playing devils advocate, trolling, or work in the hydrogen industry. Hopefully not all four. :unsure:

vinnie97 and austingreen like this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Oh - but i DO love trumpets ... and the alto sax ... flute ... guitar ... and the bassoon. You see - it's ok to like some THINGS more than another. But the video was not about liking or disliking the trumpet. It was about public humiliation / scolding of a fellow human. Hopefully you can grasp the difference? There, we experience a personal attack on a persons skill / talent ... it'd be like going to the special Olympics just to goof on the athletes.

But hydrogen cars are not an attack on people's talent. Hydrogen cars attack tax dollars. Toyotas' marketing attacks truth with a theoretical possibility of some time in the future as though its now. I really don't mind hydrogen R&D. What I mind, is when it's funded, to the detriment of much more proven tech. See the difference? No personal attack necessary. When lemonade & poop are put forth as something that's actually being laid out as a reality, then we can talk. But it's not. Natural gas is put forth ... and that truth is deliberately not advertised. I can't be the only person who is willing to counter the King's new wardrobe is just plain ol' naked-ness.

vinnie97, lensovet and Trollbait like this.