1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Toyota Mirai (FCV) Thread

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by usbseawolf2000, Dec 9, 2014.

1. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    to further de-rail this, but to also pull it back to fool cell vehicles...

I will go out on a limb and say a full cross-country (US) trip will be accomplished by a Model 3 before any other "200-mile" EVs or any FCVs. period. THAT is what will be a critical point in replacing the ICE. Once that hydrogen station is finished in Omaha i think that is doable <sarcasm>. Hydrogen won't EVER have the ease and in-place re-fueling that electricity has. Sure, drive your EV 200 miles. then what? Then drive your mirai 300 miles. then what? With Superchargers at the ready, the Model 3 will have a big advantage over these others.

I like the beauty that is a bit deeper than skin in the Tesla lineup. Sure, we all buy what we think is good looking, no doubt. Once u go EV, though, other things matter. I'm glad there are choices, but, really, don't see anything as superior overall as a long distance EV WITH re-fueling options.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    check out used X prices - successful sales;
    Tesla Model X | eBay
    Ugly? .... Nasty? ok great minds are entitled to think differently.
    ;)
    Some will pay $30k-$40k over the 'regular' 6 figure price for that 'nasty' looking car. THEN, pay to ship it to europe. So yea, there ARE Europeans already experiencing the fun of a 3 second 0-60mph crossover, that's 5,000Lb tow rated etc etc. So GC, hopefully you'll be able to get over that nasty look. We had our model X test drive last weekend. Haven't yet posted the pic's - but wow, imo, it's one pretty looking ride. We'll likely wait 'till we can pick up a used one, when the used prices become less astronomical then they are right now - maybe an early lease return. That's how we got our gen 2 2004 Prius on the cheap & that's how we got our' 06 hybrid SUV Lexus on the cheap. Save a few pennies here & there & before you know it - it becomes real money.
    That said, this IS the Mirai thread ... don't wana steal its thunder

#362 hill, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed re the looks of the X - saw one in a shopping center the other day. One of the guys in the office just ordered one in blue - we'll see if it looks any better.

This is my first post in a very long while on Prius Chat - so long that I don't remember what I used to post under. I joined with my 2006 Prius that unfortunately got hit but was still going strong up until then w 230K miles. I currently have a 2012 PPI Advanced with just over 100k on it. Time for a new car ? Yes and am picking up my Mirai after lunch today. But I'm still keeping the Prius. Look forward to catching up on this forum.

Mark

orenji, usbseawolf2000 and bisco like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    WOW congrats Mark! Are you buying or leasing? Give us some owner feedback when you can.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!
    We would love to hear any info/impressions you care to share.

6. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Super nice - drives better than I remember from the test drive in September - much quieter, more solid and comfortable than my Prius Advanced (which has the nice Lexus 200h style seats too). Looks better in person than in the photos. I got the white one and I think it was a good choice - looks like an Imperial Storm Trooper :) Very happy. Most interesting thing that caught my attention is that the back up lights are very small, but are bright. Will be interesting to se what actual range is - the screen showed over 320 miles as I recall. Lots of reading to do tonight ! Let me know if you have any questions. And I'm leasing.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! what are your fueling options?

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Great, you got one.(y) Since you're the first to post here, I strongly suggest you start a separate new buyers thread (with some pics of that color) for better forum recognition.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen1 Prius was a subcompact car too. Mirai is a much more refined car, almost Lexus grade. Having said that, $50k (after fed tax incentive) with 5 years free fuel is a reasonable deal.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats! I am now following your posts.

How does Mirai display instantaneous efficiency? Is it in MPGe or something else?

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They're not distilling the hydrogen from solar - so perhaps it reads out in tons of coal ash & co2 per tank full?
    ;)
    But yea, a (heavily subsidized) price of $50k for a compact is a lot of dough ... & certainly a lot more than the gen 1 Prius was . . . . plus, the gen1 (& all HEV's & plugins) has infrastructure - so you can get from 1 state to the other. Still, I salute anyone who will pony up that kind of dough towards their belief in a tech that's (at best) such a stretch - good luck!

#371 hill, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    vinnie97 and finman like this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The EPA classified the first gen Prius as a compact with 101 cubic feet of total space. The Corolla of the time(2001) had a hundred, and the latest Corolla is a midsize with 111.

As a subcompact, the Mirai has 99 cubic feet of total space at most. Being a higher grade than the first Prius doesn't explain how it has less passenger and cargo volume while being nearly 2 feet longer.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yet, my 2001 Prius (compact) was larger inside than my 1994 Taurus (midsize) it replaced.

14. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hydrogen (heh!) I have 3 fueling stations just a few miles from work, and one almost half way home. I work in Orange County and live in North San Diego County. They also have fueling stations open now to be able to travel up to San Francisco, Sacramento and Fresno. I do quarterly trips to North Las Vegas for work and will have to use the PPI for that.

They show MPGe - pics below - one showing my first drive home results, the second shows my range after fueling (actual will probably be less for me)

The storm trooper face is growing on me :)

#374 OldNSlow, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This!

(y)

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you forget - the best way to defend ridiculous claims is with more ridiculous claims, coupled with how things will be better, in just 10 years.
    why ... are you suspecting a flood of new buyers? Even when the Lexus sumforum came to be here on PC ... there were probably already 55k-60k units delivered. If that's the benchmark quantity to start ... we'll likely have quite a bit of time - if ever.

#376 hill, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No but I also don't think most members follow 19+ page, multi-year threads with only a few participants because, as with most long threads, they become a forum version of the telephone game. LOL Kudos to all for keeping this one on-topic but I think OldNSlow is best served by starting a separate thread.

orenji likes this.
  18. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Gasp - what, you want me to post where people will see me ? :eek:

Point taken fotomoto, Next post will be in a new thread. I assume still under "Other Vehicles / Fuel Cell Vehicles" correct ? Is there a "New owners of Hybrid Synergy Drive cars" area ? Mirai's do qualify. heh :D

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, I'd say keep it here in the same FCV sub-forum. The other sub-forum, Toyota Hybrids, is mainly for the Camry and Highlander.

Please post more pics too!

20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two