1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The triangle of death comes and goes and there is no DTC codes.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by derekc, Apr 9, 2018.

1. derekc

derekc Junior Member

Haha. I have owned this car for 11 yrs and now I know how much I don't know it. I thought that was some high beam warning. I will check it out tonight. Thanks.

2. derekc

derekc Junior Member

Ok. I drove the prius this morning and caught the triangle along with the "problem" light, then the headlight leveling fault light. Before I could take a pic, all disappeared.
    So, what is the headlight leveling light? More search led me to believe I have a problem with the Headlight Height Control Sensor.

Headlight leveling sensor failure - detailed post with pictures ..

2004 Prius Headlight Height Sensor

I will check out the control sensor this weekend.
    I will also need to fix the techstream so that it does a "health check" and I need to learn more about how to use techstream.

Thank you guys. I will update.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Henribayo

Henribayo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It seems like you only checked the HV battery. If you do not get a code, I would check all the other ECU.

4. derekc

derekc Junior Member

I did but I did not do a screen capture before I exited out.
    It would be a lot easier if my version of techstream has the "health check" button. I will fix it.

Question. If it is the headlight leveling sensor that causes the triangle, now that the triangle is gone, I will still be able to scan it? Which section would it be in? And would it be in "history" somewhere? (I am not very familiar with techstream.)

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that the light and error icon come and go, it would seem that you will find the reason it is intermittent when you inspect the sensor. I suspect that your issue won't be as bad as the two threads you linked. The most common problem is a broken control arm.

If you clear the codes, either by command in a scan tool or by disconnecting the 12 V supply (as you did) the current, pending and history are cleared. If you have a genuine fault, then the current, pending and history will start building again. So, it may appear that any of those sections did not clear. Also, some (such as ABS) are not cleared by disconnect of the 12 V supply, but only by direct command.

The history (in particular) is not a log in the computer admin sense, in that it only exists for the duration, certain circumstances (such as a certain number of drive cycles without reoccurrence) will clear pending and history and even current – the illusion of self healing.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. derekc

derekc Junior Member

Ok. Oil changed and "maint reqd" light reset. Then I took off the left rear wheel to see the headlight leveling sensor. I removed one 10mm bolt on the linkage (not broken) and the sensor arm moves up and down smoothly.
    Also downgraded to techstream 9.10.037. I got the "health check" and all ECU sections are scanned ok - all white. I still don't know where to dig up any history (if any is stored) but for now, I will do nothing unless the triangle comes back (with our without the headlight error icon). If it does with the icon, I will buy a $20 leveling error on ebay and just swap it (assuming it might be getting rusty inside).

2018-04-14 12_10_32-W81STICK - TeamViewer.jpg 2018-04-14 12_10_11-W81STICK - TeamViewer.jpg IMG_20180415_132431516.jpg

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The second TS image shows that TS is not seeing any of the ECUs, indicated by the * (asterisk) in each ECU box.

If this is after you have run the Heath Check, then I strongly suspect your J2534 cable is faulty. Try buying another cable, or upgrade to a VxDiag Nano for Toyota J2534 interface, if you want a faster and more reliable interface. If you do this, you only need to install the interface driver and then your current TS installation should see it.

#27 dolj, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. derekc

derekc Junior Member

So much fun...
    Thanks. I will look into it.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Why are you isolating the battery to charge it? That's alot of work and not necessary. Just charge it at the front jump points.

Top off your oil to the full line see if that helps.

10. derekc

derekc Junior Member

Right, I was charging it while I was rebuilding my hybrid pack (changing 3 cells). I thought by charging it by itself would eliminate one source of error when I am done with the rebuild and ready to start the engine.

I did top off. It is now down to the headlight level and me making techstream work correctly.

Thanks.

11. derekc

derekc Junior Member

Upgraded techstream to v10.xxx and I finally have "health check" button. This is the scan result. Maybe it is the infamous B1421 solar sensor DTC that gave me 10 sec triangle of death once a while. Well, it has not happened for 3 days and the car drives fine.
    Done for now. If triangle comes back, I am ready to scan and hope to see something somewhere in "history" even if triangle is gone.

2018-04-19 19_01_43-W81STICK - TeamViewer.jpg

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad it working!
    I have that code every time I check the health in the shade or on the garage. Never got a triangle from it, though. I guess, all you can do now is keep your eyes peeled and hope for the best. (y)

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right, the B1421 will never put a warning on your dash. It's just a code that's present in the shade and not present in the sun, to give you a way to tell that the sensor's working.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.