1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The UK's first four-seat, all-electric production car goes on sale

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Silver bullit, May 13, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the word is ignorant, not difficult :p

This is interesting. I did not know this at all. If that's the case, then the long charge hours using a "standard" 110V outlet is partially uncalled for.

It would be the case if you were to charge outside at the mall or the cinema but just treat it as trickle charging :D

2. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    We lost the 5 mph bumper standard in 1983. The current standard is 2.5 mph. I think this is a perennial issue with the US insurance industry.

This is from the US DOT:

On April 9, 1971, the agency issued its first passenger car bumper standard -- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 215, "Exterior Protection," which became effective on September 1, 1972. This standard called for passenger cars, beginning with model year (MY) 1973, to withstand 5 mph front and 2 � mph rear impacts against a perpendicular barrier without damage to certain safety-related components such as headlamps and fuel systems.
    In October 1972, Congress enacted the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Saving Act (MVICS Act) which mandated that the agency issue a bumper standard that yields the maximum feasible reduction of costs to the public, taking into account the cost and benefits of implementation, the standard's effect on insurance costs and legal fees, savings in consumer time and inconvenience, and health and safety considerations.
    The new requirements under the MVICS Act were then consolidated with existing requirements in FMVSS 215 and promulgated in March 1976 as a new bumper standard, which was added to NHTSA's regulations at 49 CFR Part 581. The new standard which applied to passenger cars beginning with MY 1979, was referred to as the Phase I Standard. At the same time, a "no damage" requirement (Phase II) was placed on bumper systems for model year 1980 and subsequent years. (See question 6 for more information on Phase I and II requirements.)
    The most recent revisions to the bumper standard took place in May 14, 1982, effective for MY 1983 and subsequent model year passenger cars. This amendment reduced test impact speeds from 5 mph to 2.5 mph for longitudinal front and rear barrier and pendulum impacts and from 3 mph to 1.5 mph for corner pendulum impacts. In addition, Phase I damage resistance criteria were substituted for Phase II criteria and a bumper height requirements of 16 to 20 inches was established for passenger cars.

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That front grill looks so retro and cool...

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Canada still has the 8km/h (5mph) bumper tests in place.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's why this EV exasperates me. I'd love to have this EV too. Even though other country's standards are different, it doesn't mean their inherently worse than the u.s. crash standards. But that's what our legislators would have us thing ... yet the U.S. (an other countries too) enact protection-type legislation and couch the real motive.