1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Ultimate Cheap Guy -- Your Frugal Tips?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Starship16, Sep 23, 2018.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the built in batteries. I'm still ticked that I can't just pop out the battery and replace it like I did with my ancient Palm Treo. But, if you have an iPhone and the battery is getting wimpy, Apple will replace it, no questions asked, for $29 if you do it before the end of the year. Then the price goes up to, I think, $79.

I still use the iPad Air I got in Jan. of 2014. I only charge it 2-3 times a week, but it doesn't get used very much. A little web browsing, video watching, and Kindle reading almost every day is it. iOS 12 sped it up a lot.

Edit to add:
    With the battery life, like the Prius battery, they have a limited number of cycles. Partial cycles add up. So heavy use will wear out the battery more quickly, while the same amount of use on a bigger battery will have less wear.

Starship16 and Salamander_King like this.
  2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We put everything we can on our credit cards to get cash back:

For credit card purchases we get 5% back when we first use:

Chase Freedom Card
    -5% back
    on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
    -no annual fee
    -$150 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening

then for remaining purchases we use:

Capital One Venture Card
    -2% back
    on everything (to erase travel expenses including air fare, taxi/Uber/Lyft, hotels, car rentals, parking lot fees, etc)
    -one-time bonus of $500 when you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
    -$0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95/yr after that (if you don't put enough on your credit card for this to be worth while, get one of the 1.5% back credit cards mentioned earlier in this thread is better at that point)
    -no foreign transaction fees

Just got rid of cable a few months ago. DirectTV Now for $40/month for 65+ channels including local channels. Unbundled internet and have 18Mb/s up/down for $34/month

T-Mobile ONE (military veteran rate)
    -$110/month after taxes
    -5 lines

-unlimited talk, text, and data in U.S.
    -unlimited talk, text, and data (first 5GB is 4G LTE) in Mexico & Canada
    -in-flight texting +1 hour of data on all Gogo-enabled flights to, from, or within the U.S.
    -unlimited personal hotspot data included at max 3G speeds
    -Netflix standard 2-screen subscription
    -stream unlimited entertainment; non-netflix video at DVD quality at 480p
    -unlimited data and texting in 210+ countries and destinations; calls from covered countries over Wi-Fi are $.25/min (no charge for Wi-Fi calls to US, Mexico and Canada; data speeds ~128Kbps )

#22 iplug, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Raytheeagle and Starship16 like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about roasting your own coffee bean at home. I drink coffee more than any other kind of beverage, but rarely buy brewed coffee in store. When I was in college, I drunk plenty of dorm room brewed Chock full o'Nuts, but never Folgers. After graduating college, for many years, I bought roasted speciality coffee at local coffee shops where they sold freshly roasted coffee in bulk. This practice continued even after the second wave of coffee gained the popularity and very good speciality coffee beans roasted fresh became widely available in stores like Starbucks, Coffee Connections (later bought out by Starbucks), Peet's Coffee, etc, etc. I was mostly satisfied with professionally roasted speciality coffees but was paying well over $10/lb. Little over ten years ago, when premium speciality coffee shops riding on second wave became accepted by general consumers, I moved on to home roasting. Ever since, no going back to store bought coffee including those highly touted third wave coffee shops. A cup of premium Geisha coffee which was sold at a few Starbuck stores in US for over $10 a cup can be had at home for less than $1. Most of premium coffee cost only $0.10/cup when you roast beans at home. I even take my own roasted coffee with me and brew myself. I don't even know what a cup of coffee cost at Starbucks nowadays.

#23 Salamander_King, Sep 23, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We used to buy whole beans by the kilo cheap, but now buying by the pound for over $15 CDN per pound, from a local independent coffee shop, they roast their own. One motivation was to avoid using multimaterial single use bags.

image.jpg

Starship16 and Salamander_King like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I now purchase bulk green coffee beans (unroasted coffee beans) from speciality coffee trader like Sweet Maria's, Burman Coffee, Bodhi Leaf Coffee in 10 - 20 lb bag. No storage bags are needed.
    green-coffee.png

Mendel Leisk and Starship16 like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    (y)You guys are some serious coffee drinkers. :D And I'm sure it tastes much better than my $1 cup from McDonald's.

Salamander_King and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I built my own house. Poured the footers, laid 4,000 block, back filled it framed it, roofed it, plumbing, electrical.

You get the picture.

I was saving a lot of money until my divorce.:(

m.wynn, Starship16, hkmb and 3 others like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you guys are making me feel like a spendthrift.:unsure:

Starship16 likes this.
  9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My parents once bought a house (for about £300,000 / US$400,000, about ten years ago) on their Amex card. It meant they had to make ten payments - paying up to their credit limit and then paying it off immediately - over a couple of days. But it gave them enough British Airways points to visit me three or four times in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

#29 hkmb, Sep 23, 2018
    padroo likes this.
  10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had car payments - I've always just bought cars I can afford to pay for in cash. And I don't buy new - I let someone else take that initial depreciation hit. I think that's two money-saving tips.

I think the house (and our previous apartment) are the only things we've borrowed money to buy. Saving up to buy a house or apartment in cash isn't an option in Sydney.

We're currently paying well over twice what we have to on the mortgage, and yes, that's saving us a lot of money.

#30 hkmb, Sep 23, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I time my supermarket visits for when they're reducing the price of the meat that's about to go out of date, and I freeze what I'm not cooking on the day. It saves us about 50% on our meat costs. I tend to go for the going-out-of-date stuff for other food too, with reductions of 20-80% off the original price.

I don't plan a menu before I go shopping. I see what's on special, and I work my cooking around that.

It's weird: it's something most Australians don't do. I'll see people - people who are clearly not rich - moving the reduced-price going-out-of-date meat out of the way so they can get to the full-price stuff. I do not understand why they would do this. The only people here I know who buy the out-of-date stuff are British (specifically, Scottish and Northern English) expats.

But it's something my family always does, and we've always been quite competitive about it. When we go to my aunt and uncle's house near Glasgow, the first thing we'll talk about is how much money they saved at the supermarket that week. At my parents' local supermarket in England, the receipt shows you how much money you've saved by shopping this way. Dad once spent £4 on one trip to the shops, and the receipt showed that while he'd spent £4, the original, not-near-its-sell-by-date price of what he'd bought was £39, so he'd saved £35. He was so pleased that he scanned the receipt and e-mailed it to me. I saved the file, and then got it printed onto a mug which I gave him for Christmas. He was delighted with it.

We also go out to a market in far-west Sydney on a Sunday. My wife buys antiques that she resells on eBay, and I do food shopping. We get cheap vegetables sold by the farmers there. And there's a very nice Lebanese guy who sells "frustrated stock" - stuff that's been shipped to the wrong country and that's not worth sending back - and out-of-date stuff that's still OK. I get my canned goods, soft drinks and confectionery from him - it's usually about 80% cheaper than it would be at the supermarket.

I reckon we spend about 30% of what our friends spend on food, and we eat better than they do.

We can't do apples here. But we have a grapefruit tree and a couple of mandarin trees in the garden, and they're an excellent source of free deliciousness.

#31 hkmb, Sep 23, 2018
    Mendel Leisk and Starship16 like this.
  12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Avoiding paying over the odds for a massively-expensive Apple phone is what Huawei is for.

Starship16 likes this.
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I rent the new movies on DVD for $1.50 and watch them at home. (Go to a theater and its 20 bucks for ticket & popcorn).

My folks washed and reused all plastic ziploc bags, several times. Mom even rinsed out paper towels and hung them to dry. No clothes dryer, so laundry was hung all over the place to air dry. I still do that with most of my clothes, today. And I haven't bought any new nice clothes in 15 years? Probably 20! :ROFLMAO: I live in shorts & t-shirts. My everyday wear. :D

And in the " Savers & Hoaeders" category:
    Dad saved EVERY plastic scoop that came in the laundry soap box. And EVERY plastic clip from a loaf of bread. And EVERY empty plastic pill bottle from all his prescriptions for 40 years. And EVERY book of matches he found or got from places they went. (But he didn't smoke) And EVERY penny he ever found. After they passed, and I cleaned out their house & garage, I found DOZENS of large boxes filled with those items, and several big Sparklets water bottles stuffed with matches or pennies. And in the garage, wow, it was packed from stem to stern with all kinds of weird odd & ends. Stuff he'd never use. He even saved EVERY pay stub, and cancelled check, and bank statement from the past 60 years? (Took me weeks to shred all that up.) Every kitchen appliance or dishes or cutlery or plasticware or furniture was hardly ever replaced... just "fixed."

Bless their hearts, they both grew up dirt poor, both served in World Wat II, and were very good people. I was very fortunate to have them as my parents.

#33 Starship16, Sep 23, 2018
    Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Starship16 likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, for a fee, as do several of my utilities. In every such case, the fee is greater than the reward, so I don't use cards for them.

No cable TV, I turned into a refusenik three decades ago. Free over-the-air has more than enough programming choice for the amount of TV I want to watch.

Spouse gets most movies free through the library. She doesn't need first-run stuff because the backlog of old stuff is more than sufficient to consume her available viewing time. I watch very few movies.

No house energy bill anymore, thanks to more energy efficient appliances / heat / building envelope and DIY rooftop solar. I still pay a fixed electric connection charge, but production incentive payments way more than cover that for now. (Incentives will expire in a few years.)

Back in the old days of near 10% interest rates, when the portion of the payment that initially went to principal was tiny, I was paying enough extra principal to knock off 3-6 months at a time. When the principal slice grew, so had my income, so the mortgage continued to get shrink fast. Gone by mid-late 1990s, so that payment stream went towards retirement savings (outside of workplace programs, which were already maxed out under the lower limits of that era).

In the 20th Century, I borrowed no more than 50% of a car's cost, with repayment no longer than 24 months. In the 21st Century, no car loans at all, just straight cash.

No coffee, it upsets my stomach too much. This must be genetic, all us sibling inherited it from mom, but only 1 out of 3 in the next generation inherited it.

#35 fuzzy1, Sep 23, 2018
    Starship16 and hkmb like this.
  16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I just don't like coffee. I think that saves me a fortune.

17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is anybody a "pack-rat"? What kinds of weird thing do you collect, or find yourself "saving"?

I collected coins for a long time... WHY??! Some very nice silver, etc. So did dad. I got the bug from him! One day I just gave everything to one of my Nephews. "Here, dig through all these boxes of coins and maybe you will find a rare one." :ROFLMAO:

And my dad also made his own ammo in the garage! :eek: Once a Marine, always a Marine! :) He had a couple of old rifles that he never shot, and a couple of old pistols. But he kept stockpiling the bullets. I called up the Nephews again.... Come get this stuff!! :LOL:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really very familiar with them.

I can understand objections to Huawei constructing network equipment. They were barred from building Australia's National Broadband Network, and with good reason. They've recently been barred from building any 5G infrastructure in Australia, which I think is less than ideal: I understand security concerns on a backbone, but not on last-mile stuff unless it covers critical government departments or other things that require security. This ban is just going to push up the price of our 5G services.

But barring them from consumer electronics is bizarre. There's really no risk there at all.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Netflix is a pretty cheap vice, around $9 CDN monthly up here. We go from one serial to the next, the occasional movie.

QUOTE="Starship16, post: 2785603, member: 165367"]My folks washed and reused all plastic ziploc bags, several times.[/QUOTE]

You don't do that? ;)

Yeah besides years old zip locks, we have a roll of saran wrap getting kinda dusty, 'cause we rinse and hang to dry the used pieces, drape them on the handle of a food processor, for reuse. For wrapping tomato halves, cheese blocks, that sort of thing.

Save-On takes plastic bags for recycling, as does Returnit Recyclers a little further down the road. The latter also take styrofoam meat trays, and sort of styrofoam.

Starship16 and Raytheeagle like this.