1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Ultimate Prius Battery Mod for 44% better Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Fibb222, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the volume increases (because it is on the denominator) the resistance goes down, no?

I think the heat isn't generated in the first place, is the point. In a normal battery 97% of the resistance is due to the electrolyte not the metal electrodes. So the amount of mass to heat and surface of cooling, staying the same doesn't matter.

2. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First two paragraphs, very well said.

The last paragraph though - It might be hard to otherwise explain a sizable increase in the Prius taxis' mileages. Hopefully there is one!! ha ha.

3. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, that's not the case. "Ohm/cm3" is shorthand for "ohms per cubic centimeter". Therefore, as you get more cubic centimeters you get more ohms. One way to read this is each cubic centimeter has "x" ohms in it.

10 cm3 x 1ohm/cm3 = 10 ohm (note that the cm3 in numerator of the first term cancels out the cm3 in the denominator of the second term, leaving you with just ohms).

100 cm3 x 1ohm/cm3 = 100 ohm

If you get 55 miles per gallon in your Prius, and you increase the number of gallons you used to 10 gallons, then you ended up with 550 miles.

10 gallons x 55 m/g = 550 miles

While we're on the subject, what about the claim of 5-10 times greater storage capacity. A battery (by definition) is a device used to store and discharge electrical energy by means of a chemical reaction. In a battery this chemical storage comes in two parts, the electrolyte and electrodes. Once you have used up all of one or the other, there is no more ability to store/discharge energy regardless of how much extra electrolyte (or electrode) you have.

In practice, a battery does not use up all of either it's electrodes or electrolyte during its charge/discharge cycle. So, it is possible to get additional capacity from a battery by causing the root chemical reaction to go further and to a different equilibrium condition. For a moderately complete dissertation on the subject, check out:

Nickel-metal hydride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from that, note the following charge/discharge equation pair:

The negative electrode reaction occurring in a NiMH battery is
    [​IMG]
    The electrode is charged in the right direction of this equation and discharged in the left direction. On the positive electrode, nickel oxyhydroxide (NiOOH) is formed,
    [​IMG]
    Since you can see in both of these equations that the reaction of one nickle complex and/or on metal hydride complex produces one electron, then, in order to get a 5-10 times increase in the storage capacity of the battery, one would need to effectively use 5-10 times more of the nickle/metal hydride contained in the battery. Assuming that the new method somehow uses 100% of the material contained in the battery, then the current battery uses 100/5 = 20% to 100/10 = 10% of the NiMH material in the battery.

So, the claim here is that some lone inventor with bad data has somehow managed to get a 5 to 10-fold increase in the amount of available (useable) nickle/metal hydride in the battery. Even a 5-10% increase in the use of the electrode material would have the major battery companies beating down his door.

Count me a skeptic until you can show me the data.

4. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And hoist by my own petard, since I mis-spelled "nickel" as "nickle" and didn't catch it until after the post. Can't seem to edit it, so apologies to all.;)

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bleh!

Reading about the ideas is interesting. What the idea will do to battery performance seems completely unknown at this point.

Why he would go straight to testing the batteries in a Prius instead of doing straight performance tests on a battery is really strange. Really, Really strange.

I am betting the guy is smart, but kind of an oddball inventor type. Not a real scientific type of guy.

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No he is a straight-up university chemistry professor type - just retired. He has already done lots of lab tests on various battery types and brands. The in-prius tests are him taking it to the real world. Stay tuned.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In an effort to separate the apples from the oranges, let's just
    take the car out of the equation entirely. MPG and range of
    the Prius has everything to do with how it's driven, NOT with how
    capacious or current-capable its batteries are UNLESS you're
    talking about charging from an external source to add energy.
    In the stock system you're getting all your energy from the
    gas and what you do with your foot dictates how well the driver
    utilizes the available battery capacity in and out.
    So now we're reduced to talking about battery efficiency through
    this "electrolyte convection" stuff, if I'm not mistaken, which
    can be discussed on its own as a topic. Now, let's consider
    the structure of the NiMH cell -- interleaved thin plates with
    a pourous separator, right? The many holes are presumably to
    increase surface area of each electrode. Would I be right in
    saying that battery current arises from ion and electron exchange
    between the plates? Such that the most benefit would come from
    taking the *shortest* possible path through the electrolytic
    medium? How, then, would altering the flow path via this
    "convection" stuff lower internal resistance when it seems to
    me that the object is to LENGTHEN the exchange path??
    It seems to me that you should get the good Doctor in here to
    catch up on this thread and start explaining things directly,
    because I'd like to think that the people around here could give
    him a good run for his money. [and no, I'm not referring to
    efusco here..]
    But don't base any sort of "proof" on the MPG of a Prius, base
    it on data about the *batteries* themselves and only then see
    if any provable improvement would be worth HEV utilization.
    _H*

8. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Therein lies the problem in my mind with using the Prius as a testbed. To my knowledge, no amount of battery capacity increase will result in significantly improved mileage in an unmodified Prius. The battery controller just does not allow it to make use of the extra capacity. Cal-cars gets around this by adding capacity and significantly overdriving the voltage to trigger "SOC drift" corrections. The nominal voltage of a cal-cars phev pack is 240V, while the oem pack is nominally 201V. Commercial phev converters mostly replace the battery controller with a custom designed/programmed one. Even once you get past this issue, just increasing capacity and lowering resistivity also doesn't significantly increase mileage. You can clearly see this in any number of the phev conversions around that have much larger capacity and lower resistance batteries than stock. They get great mileage when charged up off the grid, but once the battery is run down they are considered to be doing well if they can make up enough efficiency to offset their 200-300 lbs of added weight (ie 1-2 mpg). This is because ultimately all the power still has to come from the gas engine, whether its driven directly from the generator, or recaptured in slowing down the car.

Reduced resistance will decrease voltage sag under load (which can improve acceleration), but nothing in any of this information has implied that the nominal voltage of the cells has been increased. The test data supplied is consistent with reduced resistance, but does not indicate a change in nominal voltage or necessarily in capacity. To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, battery SOC can not generally be determined accurately by voltage under load. This is in part because a lower resistance battery will have a higher loaded voltage at the same SOC as a higher resistance one under the same load. SOC is normally determined by the resting voltage that the battery returns to after a discharge event. That data is not shown, only the voltage profile of the discharge. This is why most EVs run a "fuel" gauge based on a coulomb counting algorithm. The real time voltage meter is just not a reliable indicator of SOC, even when your batteries are well know. With nimh, its even worse, as even resting voltage is not necessarily a very accurate predictor of SOC. You basically have to charge them up with a peak detecting charger that also counts coulombs and see how much "gas" you have to put back in the "tank" to figure out how much you took out. The large run to run variation in the test data is worrying, and calls the test conditions a validity of the data somewhat into question. Any time your measurement reproducibility is less than or similar to the difference between the article under test and the control you have to be very careful about what you can claim based on the results.

Lastly, google popularity aside, there is a problem with the resistance units. Resistance is a calculated value for a specific geometry of a given material measured in Ohms. Resistivity is a physical property of materials, normally given in Ohm*m or Ohm*cm. Resistance is defined as resistivity, divided by the cross sectional area, and multiplied by lenth. Ohm*m*m/m^2 = ohms. Simplifications are sometimes made for specific cases. Sheet resistance is often given in Ohms per Square for materials of fixed thickness. The actual resistance is the Sheet resistance multiplied be the ratio of Length to Width. For a known cross sectional geometry, such as a piece of wire, resistance is sometimes specified per unit length, in Ohm/m or Ohm/cm. There does seem to be a quantity referred to as "specific resistance" which is the resistance of a 1 cm cube amount of something. The correct units for this quantity would be Ohms, as this truly is the resistance of a specific geometry as mentioned above. The temptation is there to call this Ohms/cm^3 since it is the resistance of a unit cube, but this is not correct. For a quantity to be expressed as per unit volume it must have the same value for any manifestation of that volume. The specific resistance is only valid for a cube 1cm on each side. Any other shape or aspect ratio also having volume of 1cm^3 will result in a different calculated resistance.

Ultimately I'm not really sure what we are trying to accomplish here. If he can convince Toyota that he's on to something, maybe we'll all be driving magnetized phev Prii in a few years. Given all the battery development going on out there, this isn't where I personally would put my money, but what do I know? I guess maybe its time to wish Dr. O'brien the best of luck and move on... :)

Rob

9. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope this helps....Question and Answer Time.

QUESTION

Hi Dr. O'Brien,

Somebody wants to know, if (just as an example) H2SO4 has a resistance of 1 ohm/cm3, then, if you increase the volume of sulfuric acid from 1 cubic centimeter to 2 cubic centimeters what happens to the resistance of the H2SO4?

Put another way, if the overwhelming source of the resistance in a battery is the electrolyte, and you increase the amount of electrolyte, does that not increase the resistance? Obviously you're stating that it doesn't, but how do you reconcile it with the units of ohm/cm3?
    Doesn't 1 ohm per cm3 mean for every cubic centimeter, the resistance goes up by 1 ohm?

It's a question that has come up on the Priuschat thread. Most posters are kinda rooting for you but at the same time they are very skeptical.

Thanks

Rob

ANSWER

Rob: I'm afraid I can't answer the question without some deep electrochemistry, but let's do it by numbers.

1. It is true that H2SO4 at room temperature and 5M has one ohm/cm cubed, but we are really looking at the distance between two electrodes that are some part of a mm apart - best for me is about 0.5 mm.

2. Put in linear form (like a wire) it is one ohm per cm, compared to the usual metals - Ni more than 5 orders less resistive.

3. In as manufactured batteries, the first thing to consider is to get to about 0.5mm apart which is in the region of most batteries presently for sale and in hybrids, thus lowering the resistance from much thicker electrolyte layers.

4. Now one needs a spacer; so it must be a non-conductor (electronic) which requires the passage of current to be electrolytic in the gap between metallic electrodes, ions must travel from one to the other.

5. When shipping batteries, the manufacturer wishes to be able to say they are "dry" and not dangerous, so they usually put in a spacer which absorbs most of the electrolyte, so that if you drill a hole in the container no electrolyte drips out - if they are crushed there is essential no liquid. So how does any electrolytic conductance take place? The absorbing spacer usually is an unwoven cloth which has rather large voids through which the ions can pass. There is also the wetted electrode.

6. Any working electrode has an electrical double layer, composed of a compact (no possible movement of ions) and a diffuse double layer. In the diffuse, the ions can be moved a little with the effect of a small electrical potential or in some cases mechanical flow. Outside of the diffuse layer, there is a transition layer where the ions and solvent have little resistance to movement if the current is small, even in a gelled electrolyte. This is the layer I wish to make for liquid, more able to convect, by adding more electrolyte than the spacer can absorb so there is more "free to move" electrolyte. I now put on a magnetic field.

7. The magnetic field at right angles to the upward flow of electrolyte at the cathode is the current (not the electrolyte carried current) which normally occurs in the earth's gravitational field (think of hot air balloons, hot air from furnace vent in central heating; this hot air is lighter than the air around it ) so that the motion now forced is across the electrode. Add the vectors of the two motions together to get an upward spiral.

8. At the anode, there will be a downward spiral (between the spacer and the anode) usually because an ion is being added and the electrolyte is made heavier. If the two can connect in a continuous spiral, the only diffusion taking place is in the double layer - possibly 5 nanometers deep, so instead of slow diffusion and migration, convention, much increased, provides all of the ions to the electrodes much faster and at much lower resistance.

9. To increase the rate of delivery of the ions, an indifferent para-magnetic ion Gd3+ is added again lowering the resistance.

10. MHD [Magnetohydrodynamics] cannot lower the practical discharge potential (or actually by only a very insignificant amount) for example in the electrolysis of water. We say arbitrarily the discharge potential is zero for hydrogen to get a scale that is reproducible, leaving oxygen to be 1.23 Volts. I can electrolyze water at quite a high rate at about 1.75 Volts when commercial (no magnetization, no Gd3+ ions) is normally done at 3 to 3.5 V.

11. So to sum up, the extra electrolyte, in this case 5M KOH (resistance ~2 ohms/cm) containing Gd3+ is to give more free liquid to be stirred faster by the magnetic field acting on the earth's gravitational field so that the internal resistance decreases and less energy is lost in uselessly heating the electrolyte because of its resistance.

This is very simple for an electrochemist to understand as soon as they see that it is not the current passing between the two electrodes that is the current in the right hand rule, but the movement of the ions in the convecting electrolyte. The Gd3+ role is harder to explain but I will if you want. The realization that the natural convective flow is the current in the right hand rule is the only thing I have seen that others haven't and that is because I did it interferometrically. RNO'B

10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds a lot more reasonable. The units are still wrong in my opinion, but as I suspected it appears this is just a difference between Chemistry speak and Electrical Engineer speak.

Adding more free electrolyte and keeping it stirred up will probably do good things for the battery in terms of resistance and capacity. My main concern would be crash safety. A big part of the reason why the batteries are "dry" is so in the case of an accident you don't have acid or in this case drano (KOH) splashing around the passenger compartment. Other concerns would be effects on battery life, temperature performance, and various other parameters. I had thought that at least in the case of lead batteries, one of the reasons to run somewhat electrolyte starved was to protect and prolong the life of the electrodes. Anyway, as I said before, battery design space is a very complex trade of many performance variables. Its not that hard to optimize one of them to be really impressive, but this is usually at the expense of others. Starter batteries are a good example of this. They are optimized to provide a lot of current for a very short duration. A big trade off is that in general they have very little tolerance for being deeply discharged. They may fail in 10 or even fewer cycles if you attempt to do so. Conversely a deep cycle battery will have generally much lower current/capacity rating for the same size/weight, but is able to be cycled hundreds of times.

At this point there is no real evidence to show whether this is an overall improvement, or just an optimization trade within the same space at the expense of other parameters. To be fair there really hasn't been any data to show an improvement at all, but thats just my interpretation of the initial data. We'll have to wait and see what the data says. Unfortunately in this regard, any data gathered from use in a Prius will in my opinion be highly subjective and not really admissible in a scientific court of law :D It will be interesting, but highly subject to interpretation.

rob

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But the Panasonic modules aren't "shipped dry". They come with
    their full complement of presumably well-mixed and well-
    distributed electrolyte already inside.
    The measured internal resistance as measured by the ECU is on
    the order of a couple of hundredths of an ohm per block, i.e.
    12 cells. At fifty or a hundred amps you'll get a little
    heating from that, sure, but not a whole lot. You would get
    significantly *more* heating by trying to overcharge, since
    now all that energy needs someplace else to go.
    I think we can just stop here.
    _H*

12. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the lengthy reply Fibb. It still leaves a lot of questions, but what he says does make more sense that all of the general claims. (5-10 times capacity) Please post any additional data that you receive from your friend. Hobbit may not be interested ("I think we can just stop here.") but others of us are interested.

Clearly, the main thing he is shooting for is a passive way to mix the electrolyte, which will lower the internal resistance of the battery. How a lower internal resistance affects the overall performance of the battery, has not been clearly explained.

Thanks.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i never expected the explanation to be complete, but it does very well considering the expert to novice translation issues.

there are a lot of questions imm as well, but i think it be a combination of my ignorance, misconceptions, and his interpretation of our intelligence. the post as long as it was, would have to be much longer to even scratch the surface of what we are dealing with...

also, i would be hesitant to provide too much detail as this is a public forum and revolutionary ideas like these have a tendency to be intercepted and buried if the wrong people get wind of this.

the OP suggests real world trials currently in progress. i guess what we need is someone in the Vancouver area to independently verify the results these changes are causing

Jonathan??? you live in the area dont you?

14. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i dont think this is true, you would have to do a huge modification to the management system.

classic prius for the win!

15. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Update: I ran into Dr. O'Brien and told me he is beginning to modify a few more prius batteries for more taxi trials. Unfortunately he didn't have any details for me on the current taxi trial results. I promise to pass that data along as soon as I get it. Cheers. Fibb.

16. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Taxi Trial update: According to Dr. O'Brien, on 2 of the 3 taxis, the transmission and inverter were ruined and had to be replaced to the tune of $5000! Dr. O'Brien says his battery was too powerful for the drivers with "lead-feet". The 3rd taxi is still going fine with the modified battery but its mileage data isn't available yet - but that cabby is apparently happy with the results so far and doesn't want to quit the trial.

Dr. O'Brien agrees with many of you that the car's electronics should really be modified/re-engineered to work with his battery since it is so different from the stock battery.

He personally didn't have a problem with the modified battery when it was in his Prius, probably, he says, because he drove it gently.

From a marketing/practicality standpoint he is of course discouraged but from a scientific point of view, the taking out of two transmissions was, in an unfortunate way, a verification of his hypothesis.

Needless to say, there won't be any more trials with private taxis. But don't fret hopeful EV advocates, Dr. O'Brien has sparked the interest of a government agency (not to be named until after the research is conducted) who will be testing his battery mods extensively. Hopefully we'll see his work in commercial production some day. Cheers.

17. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol damn but nice try, at least you now know toyota preferred reliability rather than short term performance.

18. Hybrid Effects

Hybrid Effects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you magnetize none ferrous metals? Or are they particles from space?