1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The United States of Toyota

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Oct 23, 2007.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oooh this topic just continously burns me!!! why hasnt Toyota brought this back??

i had the chance to buy one for $55,000 a few years back... didnt because i thought SOMEONE would have done SOMETHING by now...and i was willing to go $35,000 for it.

man was i WAAAAY OFF!!...

oooh this topic just continously burns me!!! why hasnt Toyota brought this back??

i had the chance to buy one for $55,000 a few years back... didnt because i thought SOMEONE would have done SOMETHING by now...and i was willing to go $35,000 for it.

man was i WAAAAY OFF!!...

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You must be mad to post it 3 times in a row ;) You're talking about minivans?

With regard to the demonizing of SUVs, to me, Chevy's new ads promoting their "full-size hybrid SUV" are attempting to degrade the "hybrid" image as much as possible. Their guy is all smiles, talking to a group of children (the old "children are our future" gag ;) ) the exchange goes something like this:

Guy: Hybrids are weak and tiny, right?

Children: (in chorus) yes!

And he goes on to tout "full-size." It seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot by trying to convince consumers that they NEED something huge. Some do. Most don't. It almost sounds like GM doesn't want to sell a vehicle that weighs less than 5,000 lbs.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nope not mad... just testing

i actually was replying to the Toyota RAV 4 EV thread... i did have both threads open at the time i made the post. now knowing i did not post to the wrong thread, i simply reposted to the RAV thread to see if the error could be duplicated and it was...

so u can ignore the post. was waaaay off topic

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Oct 23 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]529338[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure you are not reading into it a bit? I think they are trying to let people know if they need a vehicle that hauls alot they can still consider a hybrid.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Oct 23 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]529328[/snapback]</div>

Blah blah blah.

PR department my a$$.

PR doesn't sell cars if you build cr@p.

I owned a Saturn SC2 coupe. I didn't have to sell it. But I did and I bought a Prius. I looked at what Saturn had to offer five months before I bought the Prius. I test drove what they had to offer. What they had to offer sucked.

GM needs to get off their PR high horse.

If you build it, they will buy.

So build something people want to buy. Advertising isn't going to convince people to buy something they don't want when someone else is offering something they DO want.

Malorn, you are a broken record. Move on. It will lower your blood pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Oct 23 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]529338[/snapback]</div>

I teach middle school. Every kid that has seen my car knows exactly what it is, and wants one. They know what a hybrid is and they want one.

Maybe if GM started to build cars that will appeal to the future generations instead of trying to convince them through their PR department that they want their grandfather's idea of a car, they might get somewhere.

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Oct 23 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]529351[/snapback]</div>
    I only infer what they imply ;)

You might be right though because I'm comparing their own PR record with what they're saying, when really I should just take their words at face value.

They have another ad with the same guy and same group of kids gathered around the Volt. Boy, do I wish I could actually buy one of those. Seriously! If I could, GM might start winning over some of us hippies...

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Oct 23 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]529371[/snapback]</div>
    Its coming!

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    cool!! So , it's official then? 2010? ...2011? ...2015? ...after our Mars colonization? Before the next Who killed the hydrogen car movie?

Still waiting...but until then, Toyota has my $$$.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No individual or company can stay as hot as Toyota has for as long as it has.
    What Brainiac wrote that? :huh:
    First he is saying that "no individual or company can" . . . but then he say that Toyota did!

Or is he trying to say, 'Only Toyota has the capability to stay as hot as it has for as long as it has.' ;)

And just a curiosity . . . why the double standard?

Why is it when, after many years, Toyota has a car which DOESN'T make the 'recommended list' . . . it's earth shattering news - YET, when a domestic car DOES make the list, it too is earth shattering news, but with different conclusions attached. <_<

Toyota misses one = doom and gloom.
    Domestics get one = it's 'happy days are here again.' :rolleyes:

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 23 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]529385[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota has been the media sweetheart for 15 years, eventually the media was bound to start investigating some of the claims in Toyota's press releases. :lol: