1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The V.I.P. RS 3200 Plus Security System--pros & cons

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by marcusa, May 20, 2009.

1. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, something is fishy. It comes with the glass breakage sensor and is installed at the same time.
    2010 Toyota Prius RS3200 VIP Security System w/ Glass Breakage
    [PT398-47090]

1 person likes this.
  2. JCoomes

JCoomes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is what I thought. Do you have the VIP on your Prius? Is there a manual or some doc on line I can gather to go in and prove the point?

Thank you very much.

3. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Yes, I have had the alarm installed. The part number tells the whole story in that it comes as a complete kit! I don't know if they could have installed a VIP kit from Gen II, where the glass breakage sensor is optional and the wiring harness would have to match the Gen III? I would ask them to tell you which part # they installed!

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there any good reason to have an alarm? I notice car alarms going off from time to time in parking lots and even in my neighbors driveway. They are fairly common and people tend to ignore them. If your car does get broken into and the alarm alerts you the thieves are probably going to be gone before you can do anything anyway.

If the intent is to steal the car they are going to be unable to drive it away because of the immobilizer. I think the only way to steal a Prius, unless you leave the key fob in the car, is to winch it onto a flatbed truck and the alarm probably won't prevent that.

If my car was ever actually stolen I wouldn't want it back anyway, I would prefer to fight it out with the insurance company and buy another one.

5. JCoomes

JCoomes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks agian for the info. I think they may be using the parts list for the GII but want to verify. Do you happen to have the part number of the system that comes with the Glass Breakage sensor?

Thanks again for your insight.... no pun intended...

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I live in a tourist town. All summer long we have car alarms going off. They never mean anything. If you want to steal a car with an alarm, just look stupid and shrug your shoulders. There's a good chance someone will come over and help you.

I suppose the gas breakage alarm could offer some small measure of security for protecting personal possessions left in a car in a city, but quite frankly, I think in that situation most thieves will smash and grab, so the alarm will be of no help.

Tom