1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Wait

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, Dec 17, 2003.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

I agree that the question is time. The issue, however, centers around salespeople misrepresenting their ability to get cars for customers within a certain time period so they could "get an order".

My salesman, for example, told me, in effect, that it would be about 3 months (mid-Nov to mid-Feb). There are three ways to look at this, in my view: 1) he had no idea when he would be able to get my car at the time I placed my order; 2) he knew there was no way he would be able to get my car in three months but wanted the order (along with the $1k deposit) regardless; 3) he honestly believed he would be able to get me a car within the stated time period but, sometime after I placed the order, he discovered it was going to take longer (perhaps much longer).

If #1 or #2 obtains, then he basically lied which sort of speaks for itself. If the truth is more akin to #3, then the least he could have done would have been to contact me and inform me that the initial time frame would be problematic.....maybe even throw in something like, "since it may take considerably longer to get your car than we initially represented, we would like to offer to return your deposit because we don't think it's fair for us to keep your thousand bucks for months and months on end". Instead, I have heard nothing and he has done nothing.

Communication is key in these situations. I suspect that's why most of us who are pissed at our dealers are, well, pissed at our dealers; there hasn't been any communication.

2. bbridgewater

bbridgewater New Member

Hello, fellow waiters. I'm on day 93 of waiting...getting the same non-info as most of you, but sounds like the wait will be worth it!

Do any of you Blessed Folks have advice/comments/answers on the following?
    1. Is the extra warranty worth buying?
    2. Are there dealer additions I should consider (eg., floor mats, etc.)
    3. Does the dealership give you 2 key fobs?

Thanks,
    Beth in Tulsa
    Waiting on Driftwood BG
    (meanwhile still suffocating the planet in my '97 Explorer)

3. cybele

cybele New Member

Yes.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Priuschat will have a store set up soon, I hope, that will offer many of the dealer-available options at discounted prices. Just an FYI.

5. cstahmer

cstahmer New Member

We have also been on the list for our second prius since December of 2003 (at Toyot Carlsbad, CA.) The funny thing is, they say that they are delivering 15 cars a month, but for the past two months whenever we call they have told us that we are number 35 on the list. You don't have to be a genius to see that these numbers don't fly. Has anyone else experience this kind of problem. I'm beginning to wonder who we have to bribe or annoyt the hell out of to get them to actually follow the list. I don't mind waiting my fair turn, but it seems like there might be a black market here. Has anyone else had these kinds of difficulties?

6. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We've had some questionable wait list info as well. My wife was told we were number 35 a couple of months ago. Then when I called in late May, I was told we were number 43. She got a bit upset (it's her car) so she called back and was told I heard wrong, that we are 24 (I distinctly remember him saying there were 42 orders ahead of us). Anyway, our dealer uses a file drawer system and whenever they get an inquiry, they count the number of folders in front of you in the drawer. Seems like there is a lot of room for miss filing and reporting. He has told us twice we are #2 for a Salsa Red #9. Since I don't know how cars are offered to wait listers (or if they swap cars to meet higher needs), I'm not sure that there is any useful wait list information coming from our dealer. We are now hoping for July but I'm not counting on it. We've been waiting since January.... :cry:

7. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ordered mine in November 2003...still waiting with no idea when,...dealer said we were 4th or 5th on list...it will be a 2005 now...probably late summer, early fall...um...order in 2003, get a 2005...um...wait about a year?.. seems like indiana is getting screwed again, as compared to the rest of the country... :x