1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Wal-Mart poll

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Feb 14, 2006.

?
  1. 1. never; there isn't one near me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. no; always supported smaller local retailers, even if more $

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. used to, but no more, after recent revelations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4. sometimes, when I want items they carry that others don't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. yes, to save my family's $, but don't like what they do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6. yes, they're more efficient than others at what they do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7. other (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

The 'group' to which I refer is the 'liberals' who bash Wal-Mart with whom you don't wish to be associated.

I haven't seen the documentary yet.

2. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never said I didn't want to be associated with liberals. I disagree with anyone liberal or conservative that bashes Wal-Mart. It's definitely both sides.

I have found that trying to convince people that Wal-Mart isn't bad is like trying to convince people that gay marriage isn't bad for society. It's pointless since they have already made up their mind.

Andy

3. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, let's have your defense of a company that encourages hourly employees to work off the clock? Who underinsures them so various state healthcare safety nets will have to pick up the slack at great taxpayer expense? Who would rather close a store than listen to their employees who are attempting to gain a collective voice through organization? These are all well documented cases from multiple sources. What else do you need to know? Also, regarding Wal-Mart charity, for a looooong time Wal-Mart was very conspicuously absent from the giving community. Finally, in very recent years, they have started to attempt a reversal of their stingy image at very little real expense to the Walton family. These efforts are nothing but shill-fodder for those who 'already have their minds made up' (like YOU).

4. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No ones putting a gun to these people to take jobs at Wal-Mart. I don't believe it is the tax payers responsibility to pick up the slack for anyone's health care regardless of where they work. Wal-Mart is a business and a very successful business. As with any organization, I'm sure there's a few examples of bad decisions, but that's not the case the majority of the time. That's all I have to say. I am not responding to any more comments from you.

Andy

5. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah yes, the 'no ones [sic] putting a gun...' I love that one! By that logic, every employer in the world should be able to treat every employee in the world as badly as they wish, because, hey, they can always go somewhere else, right? Right? Beautiful. How about the moral implications of crapping all over the people upon whose backs you became wealthy? I hope you can take it with you, Waltons!

Some interesting facts collected at the National Education Association's website (you know those communist nuts who want to educate our citizenry so they can compete in the world's marketplace?)

US taxpayers subsidize Wal-Mart.

US taxpayers provide medical insurance for many Wal-Mart employees who cannot afford or are not eligible for the company's insurance. California, for example, spends $86 million each year on public assistance for Wal-Mart workers, including $32 million on health care. (Hidden Cost of Wal-Mart Jobs, UC Berkeley Institute of Labor Relations, August 2004) In Georgia, over 10,000 children of Wal-Mart employees rely on state-funded health care. (Atlanta Journal Constitution, 2/27/04) In Tennessee more than 9,000 Wal-Mart workers -- one-quarter of the company's total employees in the state -- are enrolled in the TennCare low-income medical program. (Chattanooga Times Free Press, 1/20/05) In Alabama and at least seven other states, Wal-Mart tops the list of the state's largest employers whose employees receive publicly funded health care.

Wal-Mart has received over $1 billion in subsidies from state and local governments. This money could be used for education and other public services. ("Shopping For Subsidies: How Wal-Mart Uses Taxpayer Money to Finance Its Never-Ending Growth," Good Jobs First, May 2004)

A Congressional report estimates that every 200-employee Wal-Mart store costs federal taxpayers $420,750 a year: $36,000 for free and reduced school lunches; $42,000 for housing assistance; $125,000 for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families; $100,000 for Title 1; $108,000 for the federal share of state children's health program costs; $9,750 for low income energy assistance (Committee on Education and the Workforce Democratic Staff, U.S. House of Representatives, 2/16/04).

Wal-Mart employees were eligible for $2.5 billion in federal assistance (paid for by American taxpayers) in 2004. (Harper's Magazine, 3/2005)

You're leaving already? Whatever happened to STAMINA!
    Ciao!

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I shop Target rather than WalMart because Target has consistently been way ahead of competitors in supporting community services, schools, non-profits like ours, kids groups.
    Walmart does not allow for "purchase order" shopping where as Target does. For a non-profit it is great to have a relationship like that with a community retailer.
    I also find that there is a higher quality in the Target products.

7. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So you're another member of the conspiracy! *secret wink*!

8. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Been there about Three Times - May be four. Most of their stuff is badly made. I prefer Target. It's not a heck of a lot better.

Sam's Club is better though. I've asked the employees. They have better stuff at any rate.

Lisa

9. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually I really love thrift stores for alot of things!

CostCo should be in here somewhere too.... great lunch place (samples)

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Their policies on their employee benefits including L&I and Health Care are abysmal. Until such time as our society chooses to address this issue the fall back is employers, the state or no one and that means both of the above. Wally World and others are taking advantage of this. It is the policy that my father called "I got mine, how are you doing?" I for one am willing to join hands with the rest of the country and support them. For me I am doing fine... how are you doing? I could extend a hand and do. Right now it is cold out here and people are sleeping under trees and bushes. People from the Gulf Coast do not have a place to live or work. I am not proud of that as an American. We can do better.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And great employee benefits and support!

12. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No,
    but the reason is that it is a dirty disgusting store.

I prefer target for my everything store.

13. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

14. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Criticism of WMT is common. Since they are large, they getted blamed for even larger systemic problems. Many companies, actually all companies, have negative environmental and social impacts. Companies can get rid of some of these impacts and make more money. But most of these impacts cannot be eliminated. To do so would be corporate suicide. The enemy is not so much WMT as the economic and political systems that compel firms to damage the environmental and social realms. WMT and other firms should act more responsibly when they can. At the same time, we must work to change the systems that set the rules of the game for WMT and all firms.

Companies are designed to put profits ahead of all else. Getting mad a WMT or any firm for not putting workers, the environment, children, etc ahead of profits would be like throwing your dirty laundry in the back seat of your Prius, then coming back an hour later and getting mad at the car because it didn't wash your cloths. The car isn't designed to do that. Nor is the firm designed to balance profits with other goals. If we want firms to act differently, we must give them different incentives.

The major problem is not holding firms fully responsible for negative impacts. In a competitive market, firms cannot mitigage impacts and remain in business.

I advise WMT and other firms on corporate responsibility and system change. I just published an article on system change and WMT. For those interested, it can be downloaded at: www.globalsystemchange.com