1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The word, "PROBLEM" displayed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MrK(2), Apr 25, 2016.

1. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yesterday, my display beeped and the word, "PROBLEM" was displayed. There was no explanation as to what the PROBLEM might be, and the word went away after a few seconds. A short while later, this happened again, and this time, the Red Triangle of Death came on, but only for a few seconds. I decided to take the car home.

This morning, I hooked up TechStream to the Prius, and could find absolutely nothing abnormal. No codes were displayed, and everything looked to be in order. I especially looked at the HV battery, but all cells were within spec. (all within 0.7 volts and .001 ohms of each other).

I've owned this Prius since it was new (10 years ago), and it has 167,000 miles on it. I did have the HV battery replaced about 2½ years ago, but again, the battery is fine. So is the 12- volt battery.

Has anyone experienced this PROBLEM before? What does it mean??

Dale

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    probably means you have no oil in your engine

Mavi likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like JC said, check the oil level in the ICE.

4. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, I think you guys hit the nail on the head! I checked, and the oil was just touching the stick. Shame on me for not keeping a better eye on it.

Since there was no message other than 'PROBLEM', how did you know it was the oil level?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The intermittent problem usually is oil pressure going up and down into the danger zone and back again

SM-N900P ?

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's the nature of the beast. Keep an eye on your oil level. You don't want to burn up the engine. Best of luck to you!

7. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes that can display of you are in gear with a door open or a misadjusted door switch. Did it come up with a PS or Bat box on the MFdisplay?

XT1585 ?

8. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't see anything light up, just the word, PROBLEM. Since the PROBLEM message disappeared within a few seconds, something else could have been on and my wife and I simply didn't see it. I really don't think anything else was lit though.

I changed oil and filter today. I don't think I drained much more than a quart of old oil out of the engine. I've driven the car for about 50 miles, with no recurrence of the 'problem', so I'm going to assume it was "lack of oil" related.

bisco likes this.
  9. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Uh oh. Nothing like putting thousands of miles on your engine in a few seconds...

XT1585 ?