1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The world as Aussies see it

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Aug 26, 2013.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

JMD and amm0bob like this.
  2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not to mention all alien civilizations below the south pole.

3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ˙ ˙dn ʎɐʍ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɥʇ ǝpɐɯ ǝɹɐ ʇɐɥʇ sɹɐɔ ʎluo ǝɥʇ ǝɹ’ʎǝɥʇ :suǝploH ʎnq ǝʍ ʎɥʍ s’ʇɐɥ┴

˙sɹɐɔ pǝʇɹodɯı uʍop-ǝpısdn pıdnʇs ɹnoʎ ƃuıʌıɹp puɐ 'sǝɹnʇɔıd uʍop-ǝpısdn ɹnoʎ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool puɐ ʇxǝʇ uʍop-ǝpısdn pıdnʇs ɹnoʎ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ɯoɹɟ sʞɔǝu ǝɹos ǝʌɐɥ ʎlʇuɐʇsuoɔ ǝM

˙ǝɹǝɥ uʍop sn ɹoɟ sı ǝɟıl ʇlnɔıɟɟıp ʍoɥ ǝǝs uɐɔ noʎ ʍoN ˙sʞuɐɥ┴

KK6PD, Chuck. and FL_Prius_Driver like this.
  4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great response! BTW, Canada looks quite impressive on that map.

5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, that's the trouble with the Mercator Projection, which is the world map we use most often. It's good for navigation, but it wildly misrepresents land areas, and makes Canada, Russia and Europe look far bigger than they are. The Peters Projection gives a much more accurate idea of land mass. In particular, it gives a more accurate idea of the relative sizes of Europe and Africa. Peters said that the Mercator Projection reflected colonialist prejudices; I'm not sure that that's true, but it may actually diminish the importance of Africa in people's minds.

Here's the Peters Projection.
    [​IMG]

And here's a comparison between the Mercator and Peters Projections. (Peters on the left, Mercator on the right).

[​IMG]

Here's a quick introduction lifted from the Peters website.
    Which is bigger, Greenland or China? With the traditional Mercator map (circa 1569, and still in use in many schoolrooms and boardrooms today), Greenland and China look the same size. But in reality China is almost 4 times larger! In response to such discrepancies, Dr. Arno Peters created a new world map that dramatically improves the accuracy of how we see the Earth.

Mercator's projection (created at a time when navigators were sailing on the oceans in wooden ships, powered by the wind, and navigating by the stars) was particularly useful because straight lines on his projection were lines of constant compass bearing. Today the Mercator projection still remains useful for navigational purposes and is referred to by seafarers and airline pilots.

The Mercator is also a "conformal" map projection. This means that it shows shapes pretty much the way they appear on the globe. The mapmaker's dilemma is that you cannot show both shape and size accurately. If you want a true shape for the land masses you will necessarily sacrifice proportionality, i.e., the relative sizes will be distorted.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know why it's not more popular, but there is a map that is accurate in both shape and size. Buckminster Fuller invented what he called the Dymaxion Map and is also known as 'The Fuller Projection'. I think it's the best projection of all, yet it seems rare and relatively unknown. I've never seen a map of this type in a classroom, yet the educational opportunities are extensive. There's no 'right' way to orient the map, so we can dispense with the 'Australia's upside down' nonsense. It can also be rearranged to show either continuous land mass, or continuous ocean, and it makes a great jigsaw puzzle.

Here's a starter.

hkmb likes this.
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - that's really interesting.

hyo silver likes this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're very welcome. I find Bucky's many inventions fascinating.