1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The worst car you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ny_rob, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like he had two happy days with the Jag ... the day he bought it and the day he sold it!

2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    5. A 1974 Chevrolet Vega GT- Auto hatchback - Cons: it was rusting from the inside out despite the dealership anti-rust coating - due to bad factory welds. It leaked/burned about a quart of oil each month mainly round head gasket and the oil pan. The 3 speed auto tranny was poorly matched with the 4 cylinder engine so it had very poor acceleration and wasn't very fuel efficient ( about 23 mpg with regular 100% gas). Over inflating the tires and hypermiling increased my fuel efficiency to 24-25 mpg but the ride was very harsh made worst by the cheap driver's seat. McPherson struts made changing the shock absorbers a pain. Local mechanics simply hated it:eek: - it was if it was some anti-christ demon child. :rolleyes: Pros: It had Air Conditioning. Hatchback with the rear seats down created alot of cargo space. Simple to maintain: I did my own oil changes and tune ups. easy to replace headlights/tail lights. changed the coolant and soforth. Upgraded the AM radio to a Am/FM stereo/tape casette unit myself. With a Helm's Factory manual - it was easier to assembly and disassmble than most cars. Easy to find junkyard parts to fix it. Lack of funds to keep it functional was the Vega's undoing since the Vega was a very *needy* car ... I literally drove it into the ground by 1986. :whistle:

3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Vega! Almost forgot about that gem! While not mine, my parents had a 1974 red Vega "Kammback" - back windows didn't roll down, it was always hot and it decided to implode once it was sold to a new owner with its hot little aluminum engine (if I recall correctly).

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, an aluminum block with no iron liners and an iron head.

5. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My parents had, and I drove for a while, #74 on the Edmund's list - the Datsun/Nissan 280ZX. I thought it was great, though I've never been in one of the 280Zs they compare it to. It remains the only manual transmission car I've had a lot of experience in. I've driven manual once in a great while more recently, and I manage to re-learn. Good experience. The scary thing is I saw one in a car museum recently...
    I often compare the performance of the Prius that I have now to the 280ZX. Engine power (motor+engine combined for the Prius) is about the same, handling is about the same, and it's only a little slower (the 280ZX was a bit lighter).

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lucas and Jaguar=Cabin fire

7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All that = "BOOM"!

8. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My favorite car of all time was my 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T. It had a 224 intercooled garrett turbocharged engine with the Chrysler common block 2.2l engine with Lotus heads. A 5 speed getrag manual trans. It was the fastest production family sedan in the USA at the time of manufacture. 0-60mph in 5 seconds. I had that car pushing 18lbs of boost and it would completely eat up ricers and bmws, spit them out, gargle with them, and then spit them out again...lol. I also loved my 87 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo... the car that talked!! ("Your door is ajar" No dear, its a door. A jar is what jelly goes in. lol) Far ahead of its time when it was manufactured. And luxurious, believe it or not.

The worst car I ever owed? Well, Ive owned a lot of cars in my day so this is hard to narrow it down to just one but it would have to go to my very first car when I was 16 - a 1978 Ford Fairmont. 2.3l four cylinder engine with a 3 speed auto trans. Was.slow.as.hell. And despite having a four cylinder engine (carbureted nonetheless) and a 7" rear axle (LOL), it got about 15mpg.

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh... almost forgot..... my father owned a Gremlin! Need I say more?

One funny, short (and embarrassing) Gremlin story- I was 17, just got my license- was out on a first date with a girl I had been aching to go out with for some time. I borrowed dad's Gremmy to take my date to the movies. That Feb night it was really cold, like in the teens, earlier it was rain then freezing rain-then it stopped and just turned frigid. We got to the theater alright, sat through the movie- by the time we got out it was probably in the single digit temps and really windy. We got out to the car- we were freezing- I put the key in the passenger door to unlock it for my date- the lock was frozen! After almost breaking the key off in the lock I decided to try the driver side door- same thing, locked solid! Pretty much the entire car was glazed over with a coating of ice! Well, the Gremlin was a 2-door car... there was only one other way in- through the back hatch window. After some coaxing and tearing the seal- the window opened. So I climbed in, figured I'd go over the crap in the back trunk area- over the back seat, then up to the front seat then force the front doors open from there. Unfortunately, neither front door would open even from the inside! I even broke one of the window crank handles off while kicking the door from the inside. This whole time my date was still standing outside in the single digit freezing weather waiting for me to let her in. I finally gave up on the doors and told her she'd have to climb in the back window too! She finally agreed (I guess it was better than getting frostbite waiting outside) and made her way to the front. Only problem was... we were literally locked in the car at that point, and the rear hatch window was still open. After running the engine for probably 20min or so, I finally got the passenger side window to roll down (I had broken the crank off the driver side window earlier) so my date had to climb out her window, go around back, close the hatch window- then climb back in the passenger side window again...
    Luckily, by the time we got back to her house- the doors had defrosted enough that they opened once again.
    What a night (to forget)!!

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As of the most recent recall, the Prius is the most-recalled vehicle I've ever owned.

11. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I take the Toyota recalls like a grain of salt... Consider the big 3 and how many things they should've had recalls for (sludged Chrysler 2.7/4.7 engines, Ford brake switches, etc) but never did to protect their image or so they didnt have to admit anything regarding their defective products. Then to add insult to injury, they wouldnt even help consumers with any of the costs associated with the repairs. I know 8 out of 10 times, even far out of warranty, Toyota does.

At least Toyota steps up to the plate and mans up "yup, we made a mistake".

12. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Toyota had engine sludge issues as well, and it took a class action suit to bring them to action.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/automobiles/04SLUDGE.html?pagewanted=all

13. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah but at least they budged with a little prodding from some lawyers, the big 3 did not. Google "chrysler 2.7 problems" and give yourself a few hours to look through all of it.

14. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah just 6 years of "a little" prodding.

Toyota settles class-action suit on oil sludge buildup - Los Angeles Times
    Settlement was in 2007.

15. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Olds Omega... total POS.

16. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't that describe a lot of Oldsmobiles?

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My mom owned a Pinto. Now that was the worst car ever. She bought it new (I think 1978) and it was wore out in two years. I was in about 6th grade when my mom bought it and I could tell then it was a POS.

I still see one around on base. An old lady that volunteers at the thrift shop. Hers is still really nice (well maintained).

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you ever notice that the first letters of the 4 badge engineered versions of the X-body spelled out Nova?

Nova
    Omega
    Ventura
    Appolo

Edit: Thanks El Dobro. The Nova series was the RWD X-Car predecessors, not the X-Cars

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In the USA, the X cars were
    Citation
    Omega
    Phoenix
    Skylark