1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Then swine flu farce...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amm0bob, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Nothing compared to a SHARK !!!!!!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm afraid your medical provider was grossly misinformed.
    CDC H1N1 Flu | Interim Guidance for Clinicians on Identifying and Caring for Patients with Swine-origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection
    Clinicians should test persons for the novel influenza (H1N1) virus if they have an acute febrile respiratory illness or sepsis-like syndrome. Certain groups may have atypical presentations including infants, elderly and persons with compromised immune systems. Priority for testing includes persons who 1) require hospitalization or 2) are at high-risk for severe disease (as listed above). To test for novel H1N1 influenza virus, upper respiratory specimens, such as a nasopharyngeal swab or aspirate, nasal swab plus a throat swab or nasal wash, or tracheal aspirate should be collected. Persons who perform nasal and tracheal aspirate collections on ill persons require appropriate personal protective equipment. Specimens should be sent to the state public health laboratory. Not all people with suspected novel influenza (H1N1) infection need to have the diagnosis confirmed, especially if the person resides in an affected area or if the illness is mild. Recommendations on who to test may differ by state or community. Clinicians should be aware of local guidance on testing and should use their clinical judgment in addition to this guidance for deciding when to test for novel influenza A (H1N1). View the Interim guidance on specimen collection, processing, and testing.

While you may have presented too late to benefit from treatment with anti-viral medications, we are clearly supposed to be testing for epidemiological and clinical treatment purposes.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Let me tell you, a shark is a pussycat compared to a pig. Wild hogs are vicious and extremely dangerous. They'll rip you open as soon as look at you. I'd much rather encounter a grizzly than a wild pig. And sharks are downright tame compared to either.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I highlighted text in red that you cited that seems to indicate the decision on whether to test or not is up to the clinician. The clinician made the call not to test. As to what drove the decision not to test, I don't know. The medical center that I went to is the Palo Alto Medical Foundation in Palo Alto California. URL: Palo Alto Medical Foundation Regional Page

I wouldn't be surprised if California Dept. of Health sent a notice out directing testing be done only on people that are presenting symptoms when seen by a clinician - the state is insolvent; any expense that can be spared is being spared. amm0bob can better explain how insolvent the state is - he is experiencing the sharp end of the stick as it were.

5. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The media has to have some crisis to push. It's June, and the next thing we'll hear is how many hurricanes are going to hit Florida this summer. In truth, hurricanes aren't much of a threat until Aug-Sept.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Flu is a winter illness. Watch what happens in southern hemisphere over the next couple of months to know how serious it will be overall.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, but a Hippo Virus is too big to get into most peoples noses.

Tom

8. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Thanks Cliff.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What about people with large noses (and a baby version of the hippo virus)?

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's not how it works: The hippo bites you and sucks your blood, and the virus gets into you through its saliva. Not many people know that female hippos need human blood in order to be able to lay their eggs. When the eggs hatch, the larval stage of the hippo emerges, which is a duck. Not many people know that ducks are larval hippopotamuses, because in temperate climates they are unable to form cocoons and metamorphose into hippos.

1 person likes this.
  11. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, it does not spread so easily, but it can be a lot nastier, severity of symptoms vary from person to person but nose bleeds are a fairly common occurence. ;)

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've always found domestic pigs to be quite friendly and curious. At least the ones on my grandparents farm were.

Ever been chased by an angry gander? Geese are very mean birds

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Except for breeder sows. Those big females can be very nasty. I remember retrieving model rockets and airplanes from a neighboring farm when I was a young lad in Indiana. You had to keep a wary eye out for the sows.

Tom

14. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Geese. Nothing compared to chickens. Chickens are possibly the only life form more vicious then SHARKS!!!.

I'm flashing back to that childhood encounter with a chicken again. The memory makes my nose throb.

I think chickens were just getting started when they developed the Avian Flu.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Teddy bears are more vicious than sharks. Mother Theresa is more vicious than sharks. A sock puppet of Dr. Livingstone is more vicious than sharks. :cool:

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You must not spend much time around bodies of water that are frequented by sharks. If a Great White decides to confuse a human in a wetsuit with a seal, it is pretty much over for the human in a wetsuit.

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Peacocks.
    Stupid, vicious, will kill their own young.
    But then, so will swine (the males, mostly, will kill and eat piglets if they get a chance).

Prevention is the best policy. Wash your hands.

18. turapeach

turapeach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My grandmother's mother was killed by the 1918 flu. My dad says it spread so much because as soldiers were coming home and got sick on the trains, they got kicked off where ever they happened to be at the time.

I have always feared pandemics, but this one has served to immunize me from my fears. Ironic, eh?

Will get whatever flu shots are out in the fall, but not worried in the least,
    Patricia

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmmm. On my grandparents farm, even when a sow was about to farrow, she was usually pretty calm. If I recall, about a half day before the farrowing, she'd get nervous but *never* mean

Maybe the sows were angry with you because your model rockets were landing almost on top of them???

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those traumatic childhood memories are the worst to overcome. For me it was an angry gander, for you it was an angry chicken