1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Theoretically how long will the Prius last?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by annexedwa, Jul 31, 2017.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read this a while back "It would cost $125,000 to make one from parts (A $20,000 car) - from 60 minutes tv program." No, I haven't tried - but wouldn't be surprised. Bear in mind, that the Dealer is required to keep a certain level of parts - even slow moving ones, and the Manufacturer needs to have just about anything required in warehouses around the country. For some parts, it could be years before they sell the first one - and then sell a crate of them within a few months. But they need to have them available. An expensive process.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It gets real fun if part in the warehouse are all defective.
    I had body work some on my 1976? Chrysler Cordoba. The patterned factory stripe was gold. The part available was the left side stripe kit of 4 pieces. We only needed the small front piece. Apparently all the gold kits in Canada were mispackaged by 3M and had that front part in white.
    It took quite a while but we finally got the correct part.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a set of factory floor mats in one of my cars - with a warranty matching the factory warranty of the car. The heel pad on the driver's mat came partly adrift and I claimed on warranty. Sorry, sir, we can't quite match the "mid-grey" of that mat - would you be happy if we exchanged the 4 mats with a set of "dark-mid-grey" mats. Yes, fine. The silly thing was, I think the back seat had been sat in twice in the 2 years I'd had it - those mats were like brand new.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I bought a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. Not my favorite car, but it was a new hybrid vehicle, the technology was new, very excited about it! Year later it was totaled in a freeway pileup. Front and rear damage. It was still driveable but insurance company declared it a total loss. I still wonder what happened to those almost brand new batteries.

I replaced it with a 2008 civic 5 speed manual. Canada build. That thing was a tight little pocket rocket, very well built. I almost miss trading it in for the new Prius.