1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"There are no mud flaps for a Prius"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AJP, Jan 23, 2012.

1. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is what my Toyota service department told me. But the mud flaps sold through the PriusChat shop reference them as OEM. So are they or aren't the official?

Side note - can't believe my dealer is going to charge a whopping $70 to put them on but I'm not capable of doing it myself. Urg.

2. moshe_levy

moshe_levy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are certainly OEM mudflaps available, here and elsewhere. They come in Toyota boxes. I had mine installed when I bought the car.

-MKL

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 came with mudflaps on. They are OEM, but for some reason, they don't seem to be standard issue in the US.

4. redcoral

redcoral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 came with mudflaps on as well. She was purchased in Toronto, so maybe the Canadian models come with mudflaps as standard, while at least some of the US ones don't.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "There's no mud flaps for a Prius" .... in the US. I don't think it was ever offered as a dealer-installed accessory (which may explain why it's not in the system). Canadian models had them as standard equipment and you can buy replacements from the dealer (or through the PC Shop)

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the 'some' fraction of US models without mudflaps is approximately 100%.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The some that came that way, maybe. But they aren't all that same way now. :cool:

8. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The strange truth is that there are a lot of official Toyota Prius parts that don't show up in US dealer's part catalogs. Perhaps the strangest one is the engine block heater, which is a common Toyota-produced dealer option in Canada but absolutely unheard of at US dealers. My mud flaps came from the UK, not listed in the US Toyota parts catalog but they're an official Toyota part.

What I can't figure out is that there's significant $$ in offering these other parts thru US dealers - why is Toyota turning down the money??

9. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    May I ask why you feel you are not capable of doing this yourself?

This should be an achievable project for most people and poses little risk. This should be something that, even if you get half into it and feel you can't finish, backing out would be pretty easy with little loss except some time.

Try it--- best case, you get to save $70 and know that you did the work. Worst case, you pay the dealer $70 to do it for you and know that you made your best effort and learned something in the process.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We don't have mud; that's a Canadian problem.

Tom

2 people like this.
  11. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, very strange!

Don't you have to jack up the rear of the car?

12. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sure, but there should be a jack in your car that can be used for that purpose.

Not only would this be an opportunity to complete a project on your own but it sounds like it would be valuable practice for you in case you ever need to change a tire.

13. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Not to derail the thread, but just wondering if anyone noticed if there's any loss of fuel efficiency with them on versus with them off. I've always been curious.

14. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I may give it a go.

Dan, there have been several threads about mud flaps/fuel: the answer is no.

15. Notts Dave

Notts Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have them in the UK for Gen 3, Part number

PZ416-G0961-00 rear and PZ416-G0960-00 Front. Priced at £21.

16. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer - it implys, but does not mean that they are official Toyota approved and marketed mudflaps. How? Well first, let me be clear that I have no idea what the actual case is here, but someways that this could all be the case.

Let's start with who makes them, don't know in this case, but for ease let's say the company is Acme.

1) Acme makes lots of plastic parts for Toyota, which Toyota then officially uses when building the prius. Acme is an independent company and makes other parts for retail sale and/or for sale to other auto manufacturers. They are truly an "Original Equipment Manufacturer". The "official" mudflaps are made for the Prius by Joe's mudflaps. Doesn't change that Acme is an OEM company too, just not on this product.

2) Acme makes mudflaps for all Toyotas but the Prius, which may or may not have an "official" mudflap availible. Acme is still an OEM just not for this product.

There are other scenarios I have, but I have to go, the point is just because they are an OEM doesn't mean that this product is the same as Toyota uses themselves. In fact because the Prius doesn't come from the factory with mudflaps, at least not here in the states, even if they are availible as an accessory from Toyota "officially", there in fact could not be an Original Equipment manufacture of prius mudflaps.

and they are incredibly easy to install, give it a shot, you might surprise yourself, either that or offer $20 to a grandson/daughter/granddaughter/nephew/neice/decent neighbor kid to put them on for you. Even if they screw up, it isn't going to make your car not run.

17. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From my understanding way back when I got mudflaps for my Gen#2, it has to do with what region your in. I got mine from Deland Toyota in Fl. My dealer in the Northeast said it's not in his parts list but wanted me to bring him the box so he could see the part # so he could order them in the future. It was all very confusing back then but he was very happy to get the part # because he said he had other people asking him for mud flaps.

18. PartsNinja

PartsNinja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is true. Southeast Toyota dealers have these. I know that Toyota Motor Sales and Gulf States Toyota dealers do not. They sell very well both here and overseas.

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dave can you get me a price for gen2 flaps f&r. Is the price you quoted for gen3 for front and rear together or £21 front/£21 rear thanks. Also where can I get ATF WS and price per LTR my local dealers say they do not stock it.

John.