1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

There is a squeaking coming from the passenger side dash.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Acidbass32, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, recently I installed a GTA bluetooth system (about 4 months ago) and recently there is a squeaking noise coming from the passenger side. It almost sounds like an AC compressor issue (had the same problem with my F-250) but there is also an accompanying "gurgling" sound as well. Has anyone had any AC problems with the Gen 2 after 160,000 miles?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can hear "gurgling" and stuff in the Prius because it is so quiet. That's a good thing. As to the squeak so many different things. Plastic on plastic rubbing, ground loop noise from your audio install, the pump running, etc. Very few of the things it could be, are bad. And almost all of those very bad things, would have an accompanying symptom instead of just squeaking.

3. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whew, that puts my mind at ease. I'm still getting used to the hybrid system from a maintenance DIY stand point, give me a diesel or a petrol system and ill be able to take apart the thing and put it back together, the addition of the hybrid system just requires some extra thinking.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gurgling might be the inverter pump?
    squeak could be where the dash meets the right side, or maybe in the glovebox.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Blower fan/motor for squeaking, water trapped in heater hoses for gurgling sounds? Check coolant level in coolant overflow tank and radiator.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's an easy check. Put it on the HVAC screen and adjust the fan levels. If the squeak changes with the fan speed, voila. But at 160K unless some rodents live in there, I doubt that's it...

[QUOTE="xliderider, post: 2203079, member: 90146"
    , water trapped in heater hoses for gurgling sounds? Check coolant level in coolant overflow tank and radiator.[/QUOTE]

Gurgle from that area is very normal. Almost sounds like a distant washing machine draining for a few seconds.

7. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gurgle from that area is very normal. Almost sounds like a distant washing machine draining for a few seconds.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah it isnt the fan, I thought it was the evap core but not that either. I'll play around with it when I have a little more time between classes. The sound cuts in and out, and it sounds like its coming from the glovebox. It could be water due to the massive amounts of condensation I have from the humidity down here in Texas.

8. billh

billh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my 2006 package 6 just developed a ticking sound. Audible at stop without the gas engine operating. all gear positions the same. Sounds almost like a slow, little plastic fan that one blade is hitting something. Sound system off, climate system off. Any thoughts?

9. Norwegian

Norwegian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! I have very similar symptoms:

Did you manage to identify and fix it?