1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

there seems to be 2 different types of strut boot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Mar 2, 2019.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok,
    What gives there seems to be two different kinds of strut boot for the front struts. In these ebay listings there are pictures that make it clear.
    First the ones that are on my car at the current moment torn and all look Pair Front Left and Right Strut for 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Toyota Prius 683318108875 | eBay and this one that kyb sells for the 2gen prius too Pair Front Quick Complete Strut Shock & Coil Springs for 2004-2009 Toyota Prius 413456989513 | eBay
    So what gives???
    terramir

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If those are the two options, then I would pick KYB (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The difference is $23.02. They both seem to be OEM-type replacements. We're talking about a rubber boot here that is not a part of how the strut performs. Think of two(2) guys playing the same position in baseball ... but wearing different brands of hats. The same part from different manufacturers sometimes look different like this. I'd get the cheaper.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Zeppo Shanski

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Then prices at RockAuto for (one)1 go from $53.79 (ULTRA-POWER) to $122.99 (KYB).

The cheaper is "unbranded" and the other is "Detroit Axle". Neither is "KYB".

The unbranded cheaper product states "This part is compatible with 1 vehicle(s) matching 2004 Toyota Prius", and also states, "Front Pair, 2004-09 Toyota Prius Strut Spring Assembly" in it's notes.

The Detroit Axel product lists six(6) model years '04-'09 and includes:
    [​IMG]

New Both (2) Complete Front Quick Install Ready Strut Assembly Set

Pre-assembled and ready to install! No special tools required!

Set includes Both Front Driver and Passenger Side Ready Struts

1x Complete Front LH Quick Install Ready Strut Assembly (Driver) - 172358
    1x Complete Front RH Quick Install Ready Strut Assembly (Passenger) - 172357

#5 Zeppo Shanski, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You guys misunderstand me I am just talking about the boot, not the shocks a few months back I bought kyb boots which look like the boot on the second link with the yellow/whitish part and then a straight bellow attached. While the other one is molded and wider on the top. Ignore the struts etc. These links are just good photographic examples of the two different boot types.
    Please let me know what you guys think.
    terramir

7. Zeppo Shanski

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I did mention the boots in my response. I'll try again. Two(2) different manufacturers making the same replacement part that just look different. The boots on struts or other joint parts just serve a purpose, they don't perform any action. It doesn't really matter what they look like as long as they are protective of the parts inside.

ajw and Skibob like this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is your question? They both keep dirt away from the strut piston, they are just different looking. If you bought either of those crap struts don’t expect them to last very long.

9. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no I got kyb struts Monroe tops the top metal plate and rubber spring seat from moog springs from moog as well but the bottom spring rubber seat from kyb and well last but not least the kyb sb102 that holds the dirt away not quite sure how that thing is supposed to be installed since it's two pieces a white rubber cone thingy and a plastic sleeve that goes over the rod
    waiting for the Monroe tops coming Tuesday from amazon since it seems like the tops the links bushings and the strut boots have disappeared from my house. someone must have been over eager cleaning up or just plain stole them $130 loss between the links strut boots tops and swaybar bushings but oh well cr*p happens. still looking at the strut boot and well it doesn't really attach to the stopper thingy.and there are no good instructions anywhere on the sb102 part.
    terramir

10. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well I got the second one delivered from prime (sb102) and this one included instructions in the package. turns out you twist it in with a slant so it can go in the inside of the grove in the plastic part. well mystery solved now I just gotta wait for the tops, supposed to be here tomorrow but three packages have already been delayed from amazon and well I got prime so that is kinda sucky that they have been late more than once.
    terramir