1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thermal paste to help cool aging traction battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sterlingarcher6969, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Sterlingarcher6969

Sterlingarcher6969 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I finally made an account, strap in it's going to be a long one.. I got my Prius a little over a month ago and I love it to death, however at 142k miles the battery has seen better days.

While it's balanced well (all within 0.42v) , the Internal resistance is between 26-32 which is fine for short trips but I drive for Uber eats and grub hub in California and if I don't have the battery's blower fan and a/c at full blast it will easily get into the 120s practically disabling Regen and ruining my mpg.

I've even gone as far as hooking up the passenger a/c duct directly to the battery fan intake which helps alot but isn't exactly an elegant solution...

I've also looked at teardown videos and even partially disassembled mine (blower fan and exhaust port only) to get a better understanding of why the center of the battery can at times be 30° higher than the outer parts.. a bad cell it ruled out because of the aforementioned 0.42v voltage difference between cells

My theory is that the center gets so hot because the fan only blows air on the top and bottom of the cells and not the sides or in-between. It's also insulated by all the other cells.

My question is,
    Could non conductive thermal compound be dangerous in any way to the future of the hv battery?

I'm thinking about putting a thin layer in-between each cell to help spread the heat evenly.

Ps. I know I can just get a whole new pack but I'm looking for a temporary solution while I save up for the Dr. Prius lithium pack

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure your numbers are all that good especially the 120s which means the battery will generate heat when carrying higher current. Trying to cool it more is not the answer, all you are doing is masking the protection circuits. If you are ready and safely able I would tear it down and look for and eliminate corrosion around the buss bars.

This was mine around 200k miles
    AAD3FD1A-4458-4843-964A-AA6C59D455A1.jpeg

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you would be surprised and not in a good way by the effect of that. If you take another, closer look at the way the battery is built, you will notice some things about the way the modules are built (with metallic sides for heat exchange and dimples to ensure thin gaps between modules) and the way the bottom stamping of the battery case is shaped (deeper at the fan end, getting shallower toward the far end of the battery).

[​IMG]

An illustration of airflow from Gen 2 is a good way to see what's going on:

[​IMG]

Because that's a Gen 2 illustration, the airflow's not quite the same: the Gen 2 fan blows into the top of the case, passes downward between all the modules, collecting in the bottom valley of the case and exiting from there.

Your Gen 3 fan blows into the bottom valley, the air rises between all of the modules, collecting in the top of the case and exiting from there.

The way the bottom valley grows shallower as it goes farther from the fan serves, as in any well-designed duct system, to keep the air static pressure more or less even across all the intermodule gaps even though the air flowing in the bottom valley decreases by 1/27th with each gap it passes.

So it turns out those dimples on the module sides really are put there on purpose to create airflow spaces between all of the modules. Restricting those spaces with thermal grease would not be likely to improve matters.

burrito likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Where EXACTLY do you intend to put this paste ?
    It should NOT be put on any of the conducting surfaces.
    Putting it in a place where heat will migrate from one cell to another likely will do nothing useful.
    Putting it between a cells outer case and a metal frame might do some good.
    But likely NOT worth the time and trouble.
    You should not put it any place that it will block the flow of "cooling" air.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    kinda surprising, 2014 with 142k. must have had a tough life. not sure uber will be that tough on it, just don't drive like an nyc taxi :p

might be worth considering reconditioning, but that's not cheap either

6. Sterlingarcher6969

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I didn't look hard enough lol. those diagrams are exactly the things I was looking for. Had I seen them I wouldn't have made this post...

Looking at that gen 2 diagram makes me think though, why does the gen 2 battery vent outside directly but the gen 3 just dumps it into the spare tire cavity? Is there some exhaust port I'm not seeing?

7. Sterlingarcher6969

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow that's incredible for 200k. I've done the drprius battery health check and the highest result I got was 60% I guess the previous owner really ripped into the charge cycles.

Which makes sense if he did Uber eats or something similar because there's a lot of down time and in California summers you need AC which means lots of charging and discharging if you are parked waiting for an order.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Internal resistance is between 26-32 which is fine for short trips

Truth be told, it's not.
    If your ends of the spectrum are 26 and 32, there's problems. 26 is ok, but that 32 is at end of life...

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Voltage difference is too high/not balanced... Your pack needs deep discharging aka: reconditioning. Also if you have a friend who is a home inspector, they have a thermal camera you can use to find the cell that's running hot.

As you save up for a new pack, you can probably keep this going by replacing the worst modules and reconditioning. Let us know to what extent you're willing to do that and we can walk you through all the details.

10. Sterlingarcher6969

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It only gets to 32 when the battery gets really hot like 115+ which no longer happens because of my a/c mod. I'm going to be going on a trip today so I'll record my findings without it and get back to you. I was not expecting this level of hospitality!

I think my first step will be checking for bad blades. I don't have a thermal camera but I do have a laser thermometer. If I need a t camera I would rather rent one.

Second will be full disassembly checking busbars blowing dust out (the fan filter had ½ of an inch of fibers and crap on it when I bought it)

I have been shocked enough times throughout my various hobbies to know not to mess with 100amps continuous output at 200V without proper gloves.

I'll also look into reconditioning and how that works.

This is my first car and I got it for 11k I may be able to contact the dealer and ask why I was told "it has a brand new battery" when clearly it's not anywhere close. Maybe they meant the 12v?

11. Sterlingarcher6969

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got back from my short trip and the numbers are a little different. I guess I just remembered wrong, [ Trigger warning for advanced google sheets users, I know its bad ]

Note; I had the battery fan on full blast without the A/C pipe connected to the intake. However, the A/C was set to low.

The chart on the left clearly shows my temperature problem, 124 degrees at its highest. granted I was regening down a hill at 70mph.:cautious:
    Yes I know it's not exactly the same as driving all day doing what I usually do on my job but, drive long enough without the battery fan on full blast with ac and it will hit 120+

The bottom chart shows that there is way less voltage difference than I stated in my original post. The highest I saw while not accelerating or decelerating was 0.10V maybe cell 1 a little bit but that wouldn't be

The chart on the right shows that no one blade is particularly terrible in the internal resistance variance department. they are always within 1 of each other. weird that The IR flatlines as temperature spikes. I was not expecting that.

I looked into battery reconditioning and wow that is way too much time (without buying an expensive balance charger) and just barely in my range of electrical understanding. will definitely be a last resort if I can't find any bad cells.

I won't be home until next Monday so that will have to be when I do the battery disassembly.

00b3a1ff453e70dc0f1a0f80c7d8ac26.png 37fa91eba130bc89f8da066d8954ae6c.png

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gen 3 has the same air exit locations, out the sides concealed by the bumper cover. You can see one behind the 12 volt battery, and the other if you take out the small tray on the opposite side.

Gen 3 doesn't have a battery cooling duct that runs all the way to that exit the way Gen 1 and Gen 2 did, but for the air discharged into that space under the cargo box, that's still where it's going to find its way out.

14. Sterlingarcher6969

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ChapmanF

Good to know!

@Grit

cant edit it after posting. unsure what you meant by the emoji.. is that in response to the ac mod or me not knowing internal resistance is not directly correlated to temperature.

By ac mod, I meant a literal air duct from home depot connected to the passenger side airport all the way to the intake of the battery. Yes, I know....but it works. up to 30 degrees of improvement :coffee:

Of course, I would rather not have it but, it's required at this point which is why I made this thread.

15. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You got pictures of that? Someone else was looking into doing just that.

Yes, they probably were talking about the 12V battery.

16. Sterlingarcher6969

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pictures of the results or how it's hooked up?

Don't really need pictures I used a 3inch in diameter 25ft long air duct from home Depot (17$) and duct tape. luckily the duct tape I have matches the interior.

It routes down to the passenger foot well Left along the floor then it just barely fits under the passenger seat and connects directly to the battery intake.

This setup is best for if you regularly have a passenger up front. It is still easy to get in and out and you still have some leg room.

Lastly you can take some towels/old shirts that match the interior color and wrap the tube in it where it's visible. This insulates and slightly masks it. You will need to do this especially where it connects to the ac vent because the shiny tube makes it difficult to see out of the passenger side mirror in the day time because of the glare on the window.

If you want raw cooling performance and love all the extra attention this gives you, then lay the passenger seat all the way back and hook up the duct in a straight line to the intake then wrap some foam around it to insulate. Don't expect to be able to use either seat or your passenger side mirror though:ROFLMAO:

burrito likes this.
  17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you have to remove the rear bench in the back to be able to recline the passenger seat allll the way back down.

Sterlingarcher6969 likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    been there done that posted pictures years ago, no one cared :ROFLMAO:

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    how did you modify your AC?

20. Sterlingarcher6969

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't modify the A/C unit itself at all.