1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

These tires kill mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by princessprius, Jun 26, 2017.

1. princessprius

princessprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I replaced my tires a couple months ago, and my mileage went from ~50 down to ~35!

I don't drive enough for it to be worth it to buy another set, but wanted to pass along the info so you don't have the same problem.

I had another type chosen(Bridgestone I think), but Costco was out of those and suggested these. My mistake for not waiting or going elsewhere I guess.

Michelin Premier A/S 91H

Also, the tires were brown. They said it would wash off, but not so much. Does that mean they were old or something?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is very odd. premiers shouldn't cost more than a couple mpg. have you checked the pressures?
    as far as determining if they are new, i would get a second opinion. where did you buy them?
    we put premiers on my wife's hycam, they were black when ups dropped them off. but even an old tire doesn't turn brown, unless it's the arizona sun?

3. princessprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought at Costco, I don't think they're used, but maybe sat in the warehouse a long time ? Just speculation really, never had tires covered in brown before.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    costco has a pretty good tire rep.

5. princessprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know, I usually have a good experience there, although this location didn't seem as great as others, customer service-wise. I should have gone back and complained I guess, but too late now. I assumed they wouldn't do anything anyway, I had to drive them a while to be sure.

Maybe they're defective somehow, but other than the weird color they look ok.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  6. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look at the date code on the sidewall, it will tell you what week and year they were made.

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

And a lot of Prius owners like to overinflate their tires to get better mileage. I run mine at 42 in front and 40 in back. Most modern tires have a max pressure of 44 psi.

Mendel Leisk and kc410 like this.
  7. princessprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for this, mine read 1916, 1916, 2216, 2415. So one of them is 2 years old at this point but I got them in maybe Jan I think.

8. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked the tire pressure?

9. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, though my Costco Bridgestone's Ecopia are the first set of tires that have out performed the origional Goodyear integrity series. I made many mistakes recommend by Americas Tire, Pirelli, Les Schwabe, Toyo. Take them back, get what CostCo wants, your satisfaction and loyalty. After 400,000 miles they have earned my business by beating the others.

iPhone ?

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  10. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If COSTCO values your membership, and they should, get them to replace the tires with a set of Ecopias.

Paul Schenck and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if these are "directional" tires that have been mounted wrong......so that they are turning the wrong way ??

Anyhow.......I seriously doubt that ANY set of tires alone would make that much difference.
    Over how long a period, and how many gas fillups have you made this current calculation ?

If that difference in mileage continues, you probably should be looking for a different cause.

Coincidences can be brutal sometimes.

Montgomery likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the 120 degree temperature, and battery protection mode.

13. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New tires have more thread depth and are not perfectly rounded until broken-in by driving enough, so there should be some loss of mpg for new tires. Some new tires have pointy treads that eventually wear off.

I bought a new set of Pirelli P7's (215/45r17 91V) 2 months ago. My mpg instantly dropped from 55mpg to 40mpg for the first month until I managed to adequately wear them in. After two months, my mileage has risen back up to the 50's.

You tried the new tires for a couple of months? How much driving did you do?

I also noticed that disconnecting the battery terminal kills mileage too. The ECU has to re-learn the proper fuel ratio.

#13 Siward, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Those are listed as "Ultra High Performance" tires.........and as such you should expect a permanent drop in gas mileage, maybe on the order of 5 MPG .......and you should also expect a shorter life span.

I personally don't think that kind of tire is a wise choice for a Prius. But it is your money.

15. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought Pirelli P7 Cintario All Season Plus tires sized 215/45r17 91V. These are Grand Touring All Season tires with a 70,000 mile warranty. Refer to Tirerack:
    Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus | 215/45R17

It was rated very high by consumer reports and tirerack that uses a rolling resistance technology, so I bought it. You are probably referring to the W and Y speed rated version which is high performance.
    Pirelli Cinturato P7 (W- or Y-Speed Rated)

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I looked at a place like Tire Rack and the P7 was listed in the category of: "Ultra High Performance".
    Sorry if that was incomplete information.

BUT.....I'm not sure I would trust information like that from Tire Rack.
    I'd want to see what Pirelli themselves had to say.

Sounds like you are satisfied so that's all that really counts.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You sure you weren't in the grocery department and they aren't cookies?

Seriously, I'd just go back, calmly and politely tell em you aren't happy. See what can be done.
    Your tires shouldn't be brown, and that mileage hit is unacceptable.

princessprius likes this.
  18. princessprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you!
    Yuck, what a pain to have to deal with.

I think I'm going to take the advice several have given and go talk to them.
    I questioned the brown tires right away, they said it would clean off no big deal.
    I've already got 3-4k miles on them tho, so we'll see what they say.

I'll post after...

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  19. princessprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's possible that it was not quite 50 to start, I wasn't calculating mileage in a detailed fashion on a regular basis before, but I had a good sense of it. When you're not used to getting gas often, you notice when suddenly you're going a lot more.
    The change was quite dramatic and immediately noticeable after the tires were changed.

Since then, I've calculated it over thousands of miles, different weather, etc...
    I did the old fashioned way too, not just relying on the digital readouts in the car.
    It isn't getting worse and the dealer recently serviced it, no problems.

Paul Schenck likes this.