1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

They Stole My Floor Mats!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stemchick, Apr 28, 2010.

1. stemchick

stemchick Montana Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, we went to the dealership and had our 75,000 mile maintenance done. They called my husband as we were shopping while waiting and asked if they could perform some recall work on the break pedal. He okayed this. We returned to the dealership and were told the work was almost done and I asked the service guy what they did for the break recall. He explained that they took the pedal off and shaved it and did some other stuff to the pedal. (sorry I can't remember exactly what they did.) When we got back in the car, my hubby noticed they took our all weather floor mats and replaced them with crap! My husband went back into the dealership to try to get the floormats we paid 70.00 for back, and were told that we were given replacements of equal value and it was part of the recall and they couldn't give them back. My husband didn't want to throw a fit in the dealership so we left, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do.

Also I want to warn anyone going to have any work or recall stuff done on their vehicle to REMOVE The all weather floor mats before going to the dealership or they will take them.

I am pretty upset as I live in Montana and the new mats will do nothing for snow/mud here, but Toyota says I just have to deal with it.

I know there is one other post on this, but I wanted to make sure you understood that they may do this without your knowledge or permission and once they take them you can't get them back.:eek:

2 people like this.
  2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Part of the recall is to replace the all weather floor mat which suppose to cause the accelerator pedal to stuck wide open, so they replaced with the approved ones in for you.

3. stemchick

stemchick Montana Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That sounds like what the dealer told us after the fact, but what they don't understand is that the new approved ones are USELESS to me. And if I had the choice to purchase those at the time of my car purchase I would not have spent the money. So I would rather they just either leave them in, or if they couldn't do that, give me my money back and let me put my carpet in so I can purchase my own AW mats from somewhere else.

4. Prius/lexus

Prius/lexus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That Sucks! Thanks for the heads up!

5. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I believe Toyota has the new all weather floor mat now with the holes for the clips to anchor down. Since you don't have the OEM all weather floor mat so they gave you the regular ones. You may purchase the new one at the dealer.

6. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's funny cause I use really nice and HEAVYYYYYYY rubber floor mats and the dealership said the expensive floor mats like mine never get stuck, its always those cheap garbage ones that weigh almost nothing (and hold hardly any water). they rounded my brake pedal and did not steal my heavy rubber mat, which was also sitting atop the factory carpeted one.

so I guess it depends on the dealer, or maybe the technician, but to be safe it only takes a second to pop the hatch and stick any drivers side floor mats in the trunk just to be on the safe side.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please post a photo of the new floor mat, so that we can see what you are writing about. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm thinking that I may get the WeatherTech floor liners to replace my All Weather Toyota mats eventually. I would also like to see photos of the new Toyota replacement for the All Weather mats.

9. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You need to demand that they either pay you for them or give them back. I took my 2008 Camry Hybrid to the dealer for the gas pedal and floor mat recall. They took my heavy rubber mats(that have never moved) and the factory carpeted mats out and replaced them with a black rubber ugly mat. They put my good rubber ones and the carpeted mats into my trunk. They did not keep them. I can see the factory mats, BUT you bought the aftermarket mats, THEY CANNOT TAKE YOUR PROPERTY. They are wrong and need to rectify it. If you have to, complain directly to Toyota Corporate. I believe you will win this one. By the way....tell your husband to throw the fit. And yes the ones they replaced with ARE black and ugly. My CAmry Hybrid has the light gray leather interior and light carpet and mats. The Black rubber looks really ugly in that car, especially since they didn't replace the rear ones to in order to make them all match. I would be very angry also and wouldn't have left without my mats right then. Good luck. Hmmm.... I haven't had a recall on my 2007 Prius for that. My dealer knows I have both, but I haven't heard a thing on the Prius.

10. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to get the recall work and they just removed my oem toyota all weather mat from the driver side and moved it to the trunk. i just put it back after i left the dealership. mine mats have the holes for the hooks already.

11. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This floor mat issue is phoney. I was on the phone with my Toyota dealer yesterday scheduling an oil change and inspection. I mentioned I didn't understand Toyota's defensive response in the media about this issue, which appears to be more a generic issue for all cars and not just Toyota. ANY unhooked floor mat is going to cause a problem if it creeps up and interferes with any of the pedals. I've had this happen in several cars in 40 years of driving.

You know what the response was? Well, we are doing this so anyone who replaces their OE floor mats with unhooked ones will not have a problem. Yikes, they want me to shave off my gas pedal (so short drivers like myself have trouble reaching it) for this? To me, that says more about their PR department than the cars. They just plain suck. Their management, that is.

12. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off, it's a reshape of the gas pedal, not the brake pedal. :shocked:

Secondly, no one stole you floor mats. Part of SSC 90L is to replace existing Toyota OEM All Weather floor mats with redesigned ones. The redesigned ones do suck however they are made to prevent any possible chance of pedal entrapment. If a car comes in with non OEM mats and the vehicle is to have 90L performed, we are to remove all non OEM mats and place them in the rear of the vehicle.

13. stemchick

stemchick Montana Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What confuses me is that the mats I had that they removed were the TOYOTA OEM all weather mats. They had a hole for the hook. If this works I am including pictures of the old OEM mats and the new. It's hard to tell in my bad pictures, but there is a big difference in thickness. The before pics being CAMRY ones which seem to be the same except the name. I didn't have a chance to take a picture of mine before they stole them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  16. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps, you should read the post above yours?

17. stemchick

stemchick Montana Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    no snarkiness needed. Your post wasn't there when I was posting my last post. If you will notice they were posted at the same time.

I understand they are trying to protect themselves. My problem is that they were MY floormats that I purchased in MY car and I feel that I should have been informed ahead of time that was part of the recall.

And my apologies it was the gas pedal they shaved and not the break.

18. stemchick

stemchick Montana Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    YAY!!!! So hubby just got off the phone with the Toyota service manager at the dealership and they are going to give us back our old mats. We are going to give them back the crappy thin ones and they will give me back my nice all weather mats. I just have to sign a waiver saying Toyota isn't responsible. So, perhaps if you ask in advance you can do this too with your recall. YAY!!!!!

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good for you. I agree that the new mats look nasty.

I have no interest in trading my current Toyota all-weather mats for the new ones.

How about providing a photo of the accelerator pedal? Let's see how that was butchered... :eek:

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should cast blame towards the litigation folks in the legal department, not the PR department. Then close your ears to the horror stories they could tell you.