1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things Other Drivers Do to Make You Mad

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Walker1, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 30 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]414992[/snapback]</div>
    Here in FL there's a ton of really old people that don't hear, see, or have a clue where they are while driving their huge Mercury around town. The sad part is many of them know when they can no longer drive their independance goes with the D.L. so they keep on driving until they cause a huge accident with serious injuries or deaths. They also "hog" the passing lane and stop dead for caution lights.

I worked in the D.L. bur. for about 1 year. If a person had his/her lis. taken away for appearing too incompetant to drive by a cop they had to take the ROAD test not once, but 3 times at the D.L. bur. I can't count the times one would stop for the stop sign the 1st time and drive right by it the 2nd or 3rd time. I hope I don't live to be mentally out to lunch. It was sad to tell a person they failed the road test and couldn't have their lis. back again.

2. thepixiesarah

thepixiesarah New Member

Here's something that happened to me the other day that makes me really mad: I was going a comfortable speed over the speed limit, but was tailgated. I put on my turn signal to change lanes, and realized that, despite my turn signal, the driver behind me attempted to change lanes (into the slow lane to pass me) at the same time. He rapidly changed back and drove past me while looking at me as if were the idiot. :blink:

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sitting in the back seat during my trip to Italy allowed me to observe Italian driving:
    1. Motorbikes always have the right of way
    2. no one "owned" the road
    3. turn signals were used
    4. slow traffic kept to the right (like 96% of time)
    5. most "communication" is a passing thing and no one pulled a gun out

Here in the states drivers like to "teach a lesson" to folks who are driving differently than they think everyone should drive. If everyone just went on their way and used the turn signals we would cut driving stress by 85%.

And yes the 85% is purely arbitrary!

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Things other drivers do to make me mad?

Drive. :rolleyes:

Wildkow

5. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I get very angry at the aforementioned merge freaks--either the premature mergers or the 'too late' mergers.

Can't stand the non-turn signal folks. I mean--why????????? Are people actually that lazy that they can't be bothered to turn them on?

Rubberneckers are also a source of my ire. The worst traffic I've experienced here is not because of an accident--it was caused by people going 5 miles an hour to gawk at the accident.

6. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My favourite:

I can use the HOV lane thanks to my sticker. There are three lanes. Left :HOV, Middle and Right: non HOV They all have lights. All three lanes merge into one lane turning right which puts it parallel to the highway.

When you get to the HOV traffic light, it switches to green, regardless of who went last in the other two lanes. Iaw, HOV occupants get rewarded.

I drive up, get the green light and go... BUT, 17 year old punk kid in his lowered Civic is pissed because he didn't get his turn and he guns it trying to cut me off before the three lanes merge into one, almost looses control of his car and ends up drifting into highway traffic because he is going too fast. He forces traffic to swerve and slow, flips off some honkers and much to my delight, overlooks the motor cycle cop who pulls him over... yesssh!!!

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Mar 30 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]415020[/snapback]</div>
    By Italy, I assume you mean Italy, Texas. Because the Italy I'VE been to:

1. Every driver KNEW they had the right-of-way.
    2. No one "owned" the road because everybody tried to.
    3. Hand gestures were used.
    4. Slow traffic was nonexistent.
    5. Laws of traffic were ignored. Laws of physics were ignored, too.

Hell, they made South Florida drivers look sane!

8. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I hate it when they ignore stop lights:

[​IMG]

~buttster

9. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 30 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]415065[/snapback]</div>
    It's not just punk kids: it's all of us. Psychologists arranged a penny game where two players would play against the "house". If both players cooperated to beat the "house", both would win - except one player would win 5 cents while the other player would only win 1 cent. If either player or both players "defected", both would lose - although in this case "losing" only meant not winning anything, not actually forfeiting prior gains.

Thus, for both players, the optimum strategy would be cooperation: both would steadily increase their respective gains. Unfortunately, the human "envy" gene proved too strong for most people in the 1 cent positon to overcome: they would repeatedly "defect" just to prevent the 5 cent player from winning an "unfair" 5 cents to their 1 cent, despite the fact that doing so hurt their own accumulation of winnings.

We're quite a funny animal.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

10. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 30 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]414901[/snapback]</div>

I think he's coming to a stop because he's pausing to check all four corners (someone may pass a red light etc.) He's being careful.

Mary

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 30 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]415060[/snapback]</div>
    Define "premature" merger. I prefer to merge well before hand if there's a solid opening. I will not, however, stop traffic to attempt the merge.

A huge source of traffic backup is people refusing to cooperate in a merge situation, by either closing up the gap, or by waiting too long to try to merge (well past the lane ending, driving in the emergency lane). Leaving a reasonable gap for 1 car to get in at the appropriate merge point (where the lane stripe ends) would smooth the flow considerably.

I think it comes down to that psychology game that airportkid mentioned.

I know some people get pissed at me though when I end up being the "nice guy" letting in the big rig (they really should merge sooner), or if I end up leaving a nice safety gap (1 car length or more) that someone else perceives as a merge hole well after I've let my one (or two) cars in.

12. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Mar 30 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]415193[/snapback]</div>
    I merge early too, if there's an opening. I'm talking about the traffic stoppers, with an open lane stretching WAY ahead of them...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Mar 30 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]415193[/snapback]</div>
    I always let anyone in that needs it, big rig, truck, whatever, as long as they weren't a "last minute" merger.

One other thing: in VA, it's a law to turn on your lights when it rains. I don't like it when charcoal grey cars don't turn on their lights in rainy situations. You just can't see them! I'll flash to try to let them know, but they think I'm signaling that there's a copy ahead. Aarrgghhh...

13. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Mostly, it's the ones that tailgate that really get me.

Worst one that I've seen was a car that was weaving on the freeway. Got up close and it was a woman, talking on her cell phone with her visor mirror down putting on eye makeup. :blink:

14. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Mar 30 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]415080[/snapback]</div>
    When there's traffic moving to the left of him? No, he's just being an idiot doing it to ANNOY ME ON PURPOSE I KNOW IT!

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 30 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]415060[/snapback]</div>
    OK, this I forgot to add in my list of peeves.

I also forgot about the folks on the x-way that utilize an on ramp to cut out of traffic in an attempt to get 20 cars ahead in traffic.

16. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 30 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]415351[/snapback]</div>
    Too right!

I used to advocate that ambulances and firetrucks carry a lightweight collapsible 12 foot high curtain and stanchions to put up around an accident scene expressly to pevent the irritation and hazard of rubbernecking (how many secondary accidents have been caused by rubbernecking? - more than one I'm sure). The only problem I encountered with this idea was simply EVERYONE I proposed it to; without exception, their response was unanimous disapproval. They gave reasons like impracticality, extra work for the emergency personnel, etc. but down in their heart of hearts what they REALLY didn't want was any barrier between them and a blood spattered spectacle.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 31 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]415360[/snapback]</div>
    I actually like your idea but wonder if problems may be encountered if additional emergency vehicles and/or medical equipment have to tend the victims. Maybe that barrier would inhibit efficiency. If not, I don't get why they wouldn't use this. It's a feeling of violation to be stared at when you feel so vulnerable. I've had an experience with this. The most interesting part was that only one person came to my aid but when I was laying on the sidewalk bleeding waiting for an ambulance, a huge circle of spectators aggregated around me to stare. I don't quite understand this. It still leaves a bad taste.

Funny...You picked up my post before I amended it so as not to "put off" anyone. My best guess is that statistically, I'm on a board comprised of 90% rubberneckers if we're operating in parallel with reality.

Although maybe I should consider that I'm on PC where we're all so concerned with breaking up a nice glide.

18. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any action in which the driver commits a moving violation (ie. a crime) is what my "pet peeve" is.

Cell phones.. fine with me as long as it doesn't cause you to break any laws.

Stay in your lane, use your blinkers, come to complete stops, look both ways, and stay safe!

19. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I once was going 85 - 90 mph in my wifes beetle (flow of traffic) in the washington DC area on I-95. And the jackass behind me was flashing his high beams at me to get out of his way, but in congestion where am I going to go.

20. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to be a driver who got peeved at other people. :angry:

And then I found Taoism.
    Life became much more simpler, and
    now nothing on the road bothers me. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism

Except for safety. I'll make you eat the tow-ring over safety! :blink: