1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things that annoy me

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Mission Auto, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    A few things that annoy me right now. Brake pedal squeaks when I press it. Like I'm killing a mouse. The steering above 65 is twitchy, just like all my other Prii, the AC sucks on hot days, the left lower seat bolster digs into my left thigh, there is a rattle somewhere, nobody sees me, even if I'm going 90 in a 65 people ride my nice person. Anyone else? Although in all my years of driving crazy in LA, I've never gotten a ticket in any of my priuses.

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like people hate Prius drivers mainly in Southern California (even though that's where the Prius sells best). I don't have any of those other problems though.

Coast Cruiser and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. hb1148

hb1148 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I've noticed this. My first Prius and it is really an odd experience and one I didn't expect but I'm starting to get used to it now. I don't experience any of the other problems you mentioned, I think the car's aerodynamics actually help keep it pretty well planted and stable once you get over 70 or so.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Twitchy steering might be tyre pressures, or if they're ok, it could be wheel alignment. The right seat bolster on my RHD UK model did stick in my thigh on the first long ride I did, when I first got it, but now I don't notice it. I don't know if I've gotten used to it or it's softened up some. No squeaky pedals here though.

5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Don't blame the Prius. It is not the problem. ..... Californians do the same with any car/driver that drives the speed limit, obeys the traffic laws, and extends courtesies to other drivers. I make occasional trips to southern California, and tell myself each time I will not return. I lived in S. California when the computer lanes first opened. Motorist would not let commuters merge back into normal lanes, and would throw balloons (sometimes filled with paint) at passing commuters. I presume those days are now forgotten, but the HOV lanes were not well received back in the 70's.

On the positive side, California drivers are among the best .... my rationale is all the poor drivers have been killed off. Many a time I have driven far faster than I am comfortable with (80 mph) bumper to bumper .... 6 abreast. It's crazy. But if you don't drive "with the flow" you will experience all of the ill behavior spoken of.

Another thing I hate about driving in southern California .... are the motorcyclist. You really need to watch out for them because they will speed between lanes of cars ..... many a time I was preparing to change lanes and a motorcycle appeared while passing.

6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The gen 4 steering is way to light. Going 80+ on the freeway is sort of scary because the car swerves with the slightest twitch of the steering wheel (and it gets worse on a poorly paved road).

Anastaceyrose likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I'm going to say, is that when I first got my Prius, I got two speeding tickets.
    IMO...both were "speed traps". Not really fair...simply revenue generators.

BUT.....
    At least in one case, The Officer was clearly HAPPY to be ticketing a Prius. It was clear almost immediately that I wasn't going to be able to talk my way out of the ticket, because he was looking forward to telling all his buddies about ticketing the Shiny New Prius.

He nearly said as much as he was filling out the paperwork.

So at least in my personal case? Having a Prius hasn't translated into being invisible and NOT getting tickets. Maybe, just the opposite.

sitaprius, KimPrius3 and Mission Auto like this.
  8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The squeaks could be from the air duct that is near the brake pedal pivot. Several PC members have fixed this problem with some foam tape. On the other hand, you might review the threads on getting rid of mice in the HVAC ducting.

9. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe a couple squirts of WD-40 on the brake pedal linkage?

My steering and 15" tires rarely get a little twitchy at freeway speeds, only on one specific freeway, but I blame that on the rain grooves cut into the lanes.

My AC seems much better and colder, now that I drive in the PWR mode. Have no idea why, but it's good!

My seats actually feel a little flat. And hard. No bolster bother. But I'm a big guy, I probably smashed 'em.

Luckily, not one rattle or vibration... Maybe the loud tire noise drowns out any rattles? :ROFLMAO:

Now that I'm in the PWR mode, all the "nice person riders" are left behind in my dust! :LOL: :D

10. hb1148

hb1148 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think it's just in California, people are crazy all over. :) For the tailgating and the "must pass" mentality when people see a Prius, I mention it because I never noticed it in any of my previous cars (although you do have to watch out for the crazies no matter the situation).

KimPrius3 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  11. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I drove into London again today, and it was a bit stressful at times, as other drivers around me were very aggressive towards me. They mistook me for an Uber driver

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  12. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius seats have never been great. But with ever generation the claim is how much better they are. I think they are a bit better. Defiantly more leg room and height adjustment. I ended up with the cloth seats. So to protect them I got seat protectors. It helped stiffen them up. Leather like.

13. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Yessss! This is my third prius. The second gen I had got blown around in the wind like a leaf, the 3rd Gen was better but felt similar. This gen 4 is great comparatively but the steering is more sensitive. Ill have to throw some 18x9 stanced wheels on there to calm it down. Lol

14. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the exact same Star Wars sun reflector.

'LectroFuel and Mission Auto like this.
  15. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I love it. People always stare when I drive through LA with it up....

16. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hadn't put mine in POWER mode until the other day when I was stopped at a red light. The vehicle beside me was a pimped up pickup truck that had passed me earlier. Well let's just say the words that came out of my mouth were "Eat my dust"!!! Wooo whoooo!!! Yesterday I accidentally spun a wheel when exiting the parking lot so I could jump in front of a long line of traffic coming from being stopped at a red light. Did not know my Prius could do that. Oops. BTW - I've decided to name my Pruis "Prissy". The PWR mode is addicting, but I am strong.

krmcg, Coast Cruiser and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the name.

My sister tried to "name" mine "Prudence", which I didn't really like. So I quickly came up with Samantha. Samantha was the voice of my first GPS SatNav who I got to quite like seeing she got me out of trouble on many occasions, so I thought I'd "employ" Samantha again. The other option was going to be R2D3, but she's Samantha.

I've also used PWR mode since my last fuel fill. Interestingly, the fuel economy has improved, but that could be because I've got more used to the car.

18. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Must have been the TAXI sign on the roof ;)

raspy likes this.
  19. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same with me, Alan. I've finally learned how to best use the gas pedal in the 3 different driving modes. I'm fairly certain that a driver can achieve similar good MPG's, in all modes.

Odd thing about the PWR mode. The first 2 or 3 weeks I tried it, the gas pedal was extremely "light" and touchy. I'd barely press the pedal, and the car would jump off the line. But now days, it just feels like a normal gas pedal. Does the Prius change, or adapt, according to how we drive the car?

And did I upset the "HAL 9000" when I deactivated the ECO mode??? :LOL:

Glad you like the PWR, Kim4. :D I actually get a little better gas mileage in the PWR mode. Can't explain it. And my car's engine and the hybrid system just seems to perform better. Feels like I'm driving a normal car.

The other day, I briefly went back to ECO mode for a few miles, and it felt like I was dragging a ton of bricks!

KimPrius3 and lar.smith42 like this.
  20. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Twitchy at high speeds, ha

So, with the lane departure on in the rain it's downright a nightmare, it's like a blind jackrabbit, I'm thinking a set of lrr Michelin are appropriate

sitaprius likes this.