1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things to look out for in choosing a 2nd hand Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by godzillaismad, Aug 14, 2009.

1. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Hello All,

This is my first post... hope I am doing OK!

I am planning to get a 2nd hand Prius, probably between 2006 to 2008, either the base or top of the range (iTech) model. I need some advice what kind of things I should be watching out for when inspecting a used Prius.

I have been hearing stories about the battery, HID lights, tyres wear quicker than expected, etc. Can you please shed some lights here? Also, is the drive-train and battery warranty transferrable?

I have never driven a Prius before this.

Cheers mate.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's a good idea to service the cvt fluid at least every 30,000 miles. There are HID horror stories. The North America Prius with factory 15 inch Goodyear Integrity was a crap tire. Better tires last as long as any other car

Prius are used as taxi's in harsh climates, such as Duffy's Taxi in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Winter temps of -40 C, summer temps usually 35 C and hotter. They're holding up well

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which country are you located in? Warranty coverage duration differs by region.

You are right that for the model year range that you are interested in, HID headlights are an issue. Tire wear can be greater than some owners have been used to. The 12V battery needs periodic replacement especially if the car is not driven regularly or if the owner allows passenger cabin lights to remain on.

Once you decide upon a vehicle that you are interested in, I strongly suggest that you have an experienced Prius tech spend an hour inspecting the car. Usually such techs will only be found at a Toyota dealership, again depending upon where you are located.

Usually the factory warranty is transferable to a new owner unless the car was in a serious accident and ends up with what is known in the U.S. as a salvage title.

4. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Jayman, thank you for your suggestion.

Patrick, I am located in Australia. The Prius warranty is 100,000km/3years for the rest of the car and 160,000km/8years for the battery pack.

This is something I was thinking of doing, but finding a Prius tech is not easy where I am, unless I go directly to Toyota. I guess this is why I am a little weary of getting a 2nd hand Prius; the tech might only gives you what they think and could not back it up later. Maybe getting a 2008 model and still have 1.5 years of warranty left is the way to go.

I guess what I need to know is when I am test driving a Prius, can you give me any tips to what to look for? My main concern is the battery (via some battery warning light), HID issues, etc. Also, if a Prius is not driven too much (very low mileage) for the last 3 years, is this an issue for the battery too?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it makes sense to buy a Prius that has some warranty coverage so you have assurance that existing problems will be fixed without charge to you.

The multifunction display will show a warning icon if there's a problem with the hybrid system or the traction battery.

The HID system, if it is not working properly, will show a warning message on the MFD. You might want to drive around for a while with the headlights on, to see if they are intermittent or point too low. The one symptom shows a problem with the headlamp or boost unit while the other symptom shows that the auto leveling system is not working.

If the Prius is extremely low mileage, this may have implications for 12V battery life as well as the traction battery.

I suggest you test drive a new 2009 Prius (if still available in your area) so that you know how a new car behaves and what noises it makes. Then compare to the used car that you are interested in.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What they wrote, plus: don't get a salvaged car. Way more things can be wrong with one than you would ever want to find and fix.

7. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's exactly the same as checking out any other used car.

I can't really think of anything to check on the hybrid system, other than obvious things like warning lights or messages.

The main problems have been with HID lights failing, and an issue with 2004-05 multi-function displays failing due to a cracked internal connection (the design was revised in later years).

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have to worry about HID issues since HIDs were only available in Japan and the U.S. so your vehicle (base or i-Tech) will have halogens.

Given that you're looking at an 06 and newer, it should be less of a concern as the TSBs and such applied to the '04 and '05 models. Warranty should be fully transferable but I'll leave it to the Aussie members here to confirm that.

9. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Thank you all for your guidance.

I have been away for the last couple of days test driving a rental 2007 Prius base model. I have to say I am impressed with the technology and the frugality of the vehicle. However, I have a few concerns:
    - The seat is very uncomfortable
    - Steering feels a little "springy"
    - You can "really" feel the car going over potholes, even small ones. Maybe because the tyres were inflated to 40psi?
    - The car needs constant adjusting via the steeling wheel to go straight. At times I have to tilt the wheel to the right for a while to keep it going straight in freeway cruising (around 100kmh).
    - The speedo is out by 5kmh... maybe it's modern car? I am still driving a 10-year-old Camry and the speedo is very close to spot on.

I am unsure how different the i-Tech vs base model. Out of all the items listed above, the seat is the one that bothers me most. Anyone knows whether the seats in the i-Tech model any better?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The seats are identical in all Prius models. The seats were the biggest complaint (and one that has been improved in the 2010 model... 2009 for you guys I guess).

Tyre pressure plays a role in how firm the ride feels (all else being equal) so do check the tyre pressure. Also, check the wheel alignment if the steering wheel needs to be tilted to go straight.

Lastly, my speedo is dead-on according to the GPS which is rare cause most cars overread (it's normal for a car to overread as long as they're within guidelines. The sportier the car, the larger the overread)

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never noticed any issues, unless I was in the car for +3 hours. My 1990 4Runner SR-5 had much better seats, including lumbar support. Even my FJ Cruiser has better seats

If by springy, you mean having no feedback, that is due to the electric assist. You're better off having a light touch on the wheel

Most new cars no longer have soft, compliant suspension designs. My parents used to have a 2003 Buick LeSabre, you never felt bumps in that car

A washboardy gravel road is a thrilling ride in a Prius, or in most small cars these days.

The electric assist of the steering takes some getting used to - it's very easy to overcorrect and introduce oscillations. As part of the alignment, a Zero Point Calibration should be performed

12. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Jayman, I take your point regarding the electric assist in the steering. But I still feel the steering is a little "disconnected", if it makes sense.

Anyway, I feel like the uncomfortable seats are the deal breaker for me... I would have to contemplate test driving the new 2009 Prius and make a decision whether I would spend more $$$ for better seats, amongst other things.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, the steering feel has been brought up by testers, eg Consumer Reports mentioned that as one of the bigger negative points.

Not sure if its worth buying a car if you have to upgrade seats. If your new Prius has seat mounted side airbags, you will obviously lose that feature

Around half a year ago, I had a chance to sit in a Holden Commodore SS, except over here they call it the Pontiac G8. That car had great seats, way better than the average car

14. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Holden produces some very nice cars indeed. Some models offer a lot of values for the buck. But it is the reliability of the brand which had turned me away, and Ford as well (had both brands in the past). Things might have improved, but I am happy with a Toyota for the time being.

I have decided to test drive the Gen III Prius. Hope to get a better feel for the seats and the ride quality. From what I can gathered here, most have been improved, some significantly improved!

Thanks for pointing out the Consumer Reports finding of the Gen II Prius, it's been insightful.

Cheers mate.