1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things we are doing that help in the long run.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by adamace1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking of seeing what others are doing that help counter the cycle of over using and replacing things that are not needed. I'm laid off and have no money. I'm also thinking of the green side of things i may be doing.

1. Home heating. We live in NC in a one bedroom apartment. The average temp outside is 20 or so in the morning and 30-49 high in the afternoon. We have only turned our heat on a few time and go days without turning it on. Saves us money and save alot of electricity. I'm on the third floor so it stays 55-65 degrees in hear so it's not too bad.

2. Cell phone. I have kept my phones way beyond my contract thus neededing less phones made for me and trying to get all the life out of my phone before i recycle it. I will be out of plan in a few months and will wait untill the phone breaks before i get a new one. i'm poor so i can't really afford extras so i don't want a smart phone or the plans that come with them. so i have been getting free phones with my plans.

3. I have always been big on tec stuff, buying a HD TV when they first came out, computers and video games. Now that I am poor i don't do that anymore and i realize the money would be better spent on other things if i had it. I plan on keeping both our tvs untill they break before i replace them. They are both HD and thats all i need.

4. We have found a good way to save money and i'm not sure if it really helps with producing less waste from making new items, but we have been buying alot of used items. We bought a dual reclining couch for 200 off craigslist we priced them out in stores and it would have cost at least 700 new. I now buy all of my clothers from goodwill. The prices are great and i'm not big on fashon so it doesn't bother me one bit. i can buy 6-8 pairs of pants for the same price i would pay for one new.

5. Food. This is hard i want good food for my body to eat, but don't have the money. I have been buying cheap unhealthy food. I can eat some meals for myself for under $1. Like a 64 cent pot pie and a 10 cent slice of bread with butter, and a half of a can of vegies for 25 cents. i am going to at least buy one different fruit to eat each week. I bought a bunch of bannas this week.

I'm not really sure where i was going with this thread. But if anybody has any helpfull advice for me i would like to hear it. have a nice day.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry to hear of your situation, Mr. Ace. We're just now fighting back from a bout of unemployment in our household. Not a fun time at all!

As to your list, I'd have to say that #1 and #4 are the most important. Not buying new things is HUGE as far as wasted energy, pollution and disposal. Reuse is one of those wonderful things that really has no downside - cheaper to buy and better for the planet in every way possible. Hang in there!

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    your maybe poor in US terms but your not

i am not poor yet and i do al those things for years already except for the clothes
    and unhealty food is not cheap just buy early and make your own.

if you can offer 200 on a reclining seat then thats luxury.
    go without teh seat and save you 200 dollar!! you can do a lot of good food with that.

edit

o and sell your prius and buy a used cheap car if you really need one

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really sorry to hear about your situation.

On the food thing, I think that hits home in a lot of American households despite having a job or not. I would suggest contacting local churches in your area to see if they have food drives/bank. Our church would distribute food from the local grocery stores one day a week. It was unbelievable the good fruit and vegetables that were available (that had simply just past their shelf date). It makes me sick to think of all the food that ends up in the dumpster in this country.

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Beware of false economy.

Buy durable items that are of the best quality you can afford, and have warranties that mean something.
    Buy real food and prepare it. Processed food is generally about 4 to 10 times more expensive than the ingredients. Learn to prepare and store food.

Grow some food. Herbs in a pot, a small bed of lettuce, a couple of tomato plants in a bag of potting soil - don't go crazy, don't buy into all the "gardener's tools" things.

Buy clothing styles that are "classic"... solid colors, lasting designs. Go for better quality here, and they will last you for years. Second hand stores that carry better clothing are popping up all over. Well worth a look for career wear.

Launder your clothes in the coolest water temp you can. Hang blouses, shirts, and any delicate/bright fabrics to dry. Your clothes will last much longer. Avoid "dry clean only" clothing if at all possible.

Keep up with maintenance on your home. Appliances, fixtures, and the structure all need to be checked, cleaned, small things repaired/replaced, before underlying damage takes out a larger chunk of your home.

As things need replacement, look for the best you can get for quality and durability, and for energy savings. Also look for alternatives. Maybe you don't have to replace the item - maybe you can live without it, or there is something different to do the same task, with a lower cost, lower impact, or more efficiently.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't replace my laptop until it costs more to fix than buying a new one.:rockon: unless i can give it to someone who wants it.:rolleyes:

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the reply
    Well it's seems cheaper to buy a frozen pot pie for 66 some cents, than to make it. I can get a small frozen pizza for 88 cents i don't see how i can make one for less. or even roman for 16 cents per serving.

We bought the couch 6 months ago when i was still working, to replace our 30 year old flower pattern hand me down couch that had no padding left that hurt my legs badly to sit on it. So i think that was a good idea to replace it.

I have thought about selling my car but wouldn't make any money off of selling it, and then i would have to come up with thousands to buy something i can trust to get me out their with my resume and to provide good transportation when i do have a job. i work in construction and tend to have to drive almost 100 miles a day. I really would consider this if i could make some money back on my car selling it, or i am still laid off in 6 months, then i could sell my car and find a job down the road where i could just walk to work.

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info

We only wash in cold water now. And i try to cut down on washing when i can. But do you really think i can make food cheaper than i can buy it. Can i really make a small pizza for less than 88 cents? Or a pot pie for less than 66 cents?

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it would depend on your definition of "food"

Pot pies and frozen pizza is not "food" in my definition. Food is vegetables, fruit, whole grain breads, etc. Stuff that actually has real nutrition, vitamins, minerals, and which keeps you healthy.

The stuff you mention leads to dis-ease.

1 person likes this.
  10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I understand your statement. but i can live off of this cheap food. It's better to eat this stuff you say is not food than eat nothing at all, but it is unhealthly food that should not be a daily thing. The pot pie has potatoes and peas and a few chunks of beef. I won't say anything about the pizza besides it has some protien. It's just expensive to buy whole grains, fruits, and freah vegetables. I do buy frozen vegies i thought they provide better nutrition than canned. I will be buying bannanas every week they are very cheap great snack. I eat alot of eggs now they are cheap too. i plan on buying a second fruit every week and a different one every week.

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was unemployed for about 1 1/2 years before finding another job. I'm working again now, but I know what it feels like to get by on unemployment.

My priorities for spending were:

1. Food
    2. Other necessities for the job search: internet, transportation, etc.
    3. Utilities and other bills so that my credit didn't get screwed up.

I did not buy clothes, furniture, car accessories, etc. during that time. My GF did buy me some shoes, but we cut way back on everything we could to make sure we could pay all the bills.

I think its wise to spend a little more on getting good quality food and cut back on some other areas. It is important to preserve your health as much as possible; it can be stressful looking for employment.

12. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A $6 chicken from the grocery store, plus about $.10 worth of propane gives the two of us a very nice dinner, with veg on the side. Then my wife make 3 pot pies with more vegies and a home made pie crust, and put those in the freezer. There is enough left on the chicken for me to have sandwiches for a couple of day. Then she boiled down the carcass to make stock an soup.

So that $6 chicken gave us 6 dinners, a couple of lunches plus some soup. Add in $1 worth of Veggies and some fuel and may be we spend $10, that works out to less than a dollar a meal per person.

Buy them when they are on sale and you do even better. The bargain of the year is buying turkeys at the thanksgiving sales. A 15# turkey will feed us for a month and ~$.79/lbs.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By making your own pot pies you can turn them into real food by controlling what goes in, slash the fat to an acceptable level, and create far more variety than the one described here. This and many other dishes easily accept a huge variety of potential ingredients, making use of whatever is available / needs to be used up in the kitchen, or is cheaply available in the stores or free from the garden this week.

14. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I was a student, I lived on beans and rice for a while. I still enjoy beans and rice (with some frequency, purchased from one of your various ethnic stores).

A quote from another forum:
    When you're only going to do it once, quality isn't expensive, it's priceless.