1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about a Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by tada, Apr 28, 2018.

1. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I currently own a 2002 Prius with about 119,000 miles. Still clicking along at about 45mpg. I commute 900 miles weekly.

Today, my wife and I were taking about Ford’s departure from the sedan market and how maybe the Fusion and CMAX hybrids may be discounted. Then it turned to used CMAXs. Then it turned to a newer Prius - my choice.

Went to the local dealership and saw a red dealer certified 2016 Prius C with 50,000 miles. They were asking &14,500. I’m paying cash, told the salesman, and he had zero interest in selling me the car. Told me if I thought I could get a better price to go look around. Didn’t get any contact info and left the lot. Wow!

So, is this a good price for the car? Seems about $1000 too high for me. Any suggestions or comments?

We also looked at a 2013 Prius C on a used car lot with 41000 miles that was listed for $11,999. The tires were bald, car looked more worn, had way too much deodorizer in the car, and the wife did not like it. To me is a better deal, but stinky and the tech equipment looks older.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    45,000 miles a year is a lot. how many years would you like to keep it?

SwhitePC likes this.
  3. zen_

zen_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I got my certified 2014 with 26K for $13,000 a few months ago, and there was no more room for haggling. This isn't a really hot car, but with fuel prices inching up, and the usual Toyota premium, I don't think you're going to find an amazing deal on a used one at a dealer.

4. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now I’m leaning to just keeping my 02 payment free and just keep money for a battery. Maybe invest in a Prolong system.

dubit and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like I usually do, 6 - 10 years or longer

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or buy the harness and see I @Brian in Tucson is willing to share;).

I do that with a member up here in the Bay Area :).

Works for us(y).

SFO likes this.
  7. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Newer is always so tempting, but no payments makes more sense. I’ll look into the harness. The wife at this point is telling me to drive it until the battery fails and buy a new battery.

And I just finished getting this thing running great!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What’s the condition of the hv battery in the 02? Still original or something else?

I’d buy the harness and see how long you could make the battery pack last :).

Keep the 02 is my vote(y).

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  9. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I haven’t seen the date code on the battery yet. Sorry, been a little lazy in the trunk. I did see the rear seat side when I installed the rear struts and it’s a genuine Toyota battery. I’m assuming the original.

I’ve tried to talk her into the harness, but she isn’t convinced to ok the money. I think sticker shock today made her think money.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My wife said the same thing :rolleyes:.

I bought the whole deal then found @SFO who co-owns with me:).

We each have our own harness and we then coordinate equipment transfers as needed;).

Reduces the ownership costs by ~40% :).

We’ve also loaned the setup out to another member here who used it to rebuild his 06 (replaced 2 modules in his pack);).

So there are great possibilities to use the equipment to your advantage (y).

SFO likes this.
  11. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dealer was not interested in selling to you as you said it was a cash deal. No profit to be made from a 5 year loan. Dealers make money off each loan.

12. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom can use my Prolong stuff, but we are really hitting the season when it's too hot to do it.

Personally, I would love having a newer Prius, but certainly wouldn't want the payments, the added registration cost, or the full coverage insurance. Plus, I really do prefer the styling (stealth) of the 1st gen Prius.

Does your wife have the itch for a new car? Or at least newer? $15 grand will buy a couple of new batteries, and a lot of good tires. Not to mention fancy wheels and a pretty paint job. And paying for it all is incremental. And even an old Prius is better than a Ford.

#12 Brian in Tucson, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We survived the temptation to buy newer. She is now just for driving the car, keeping it up, and buying a new OEM battery when the time comes. All in all a win for me and the ‘02. Saves me from playing whack-a-mole in the future.

14. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you would regret moving from the regular Prius to the C, especially if you are on the road that many miles. You'll get slightly better mileage, but you'll pay for it in a more punishing ride, at least over poor pavement. That may not be as much of an issue in AZ as it is here in Pot Hole Island - oops, I mean Rhode Island, but it's worth considering. Stay with the bigger Prius if it is, either the one you have or something a little newer (battery condition?).

Or you might want to check out what Hertz has for sale in terms of used Sonata Hybrids. They usually like to get rid of their rentals when they hit 10,000 - 15,000 miles or there about. So the price may be just where you were looking, even for a 2017 - mid to high teens. I assume they continue the manufacturers warranty, which if I recall includes a lifetime on the hybrid battery.

15. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The 2002 Prius isn't much bigger than the C. Definitely nowhere near as big as the standard Prius.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just impressed that you have 2002 Prius with "only' 119,000 miles on it. that's not a lot of miles on a 16 model year old vehicle.

At this point? You're past the point of getting any value as a trade in, or even personal sale, that would extend beyond the value of the 2002 Prius to yourself.
    So I think, I'd just keep clicking along at 45 mpg with the 2002 Prius. Once you reach some bigger issue, like failing HV battery, you can make a decision at that time. But your best value to yourself would be to just keep driving the "free" vehicle you already own.

rbdigital, ztanos and tada like this.
  17. Absolutely_Red

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Having just purchased my first Prius C, I was scandalized to see the high prices on these used cars. First off, finding one with low mileage is difficult (here in Hampton Roads, Virginia). If you can find one, the price is very high. I'm not sure what's happening, but these cars are holding their value very well.

I've seen a lot of 2012-2013 Prius Cs with 100,000+ miles, with asking prices at or above $10,000. That blows me away.

Ultimately, I ended up spending more than I planned, but I am happy. I just purchased a 2016 Prius C ("One") that was traded into the Toyota dealership the day BEFORE I showed up at the lot. It was still sitting on the back lot - uncleaned. The previous owner was an old man who wanted a bigger vehicle, and it was a one-owner car.

It had 22,000 miles. Ultimately, I got it for a little more than $13,000 (after all taxes and tags), and it's a beauty. It looks brand new.

Still - $13,000 for a car that sold for less than $20,000 brand new?

It's impressive retention of value.

18. Absolutely_Red

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One

Oopsie. Duplicate post.

19. tjohn6041

tjohn6041 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I would recommend Hertz Car Sales, where we got our 2016 C1 for about 15k with 14,000 miles in early 2017.

Pros:
    Cost
    Turning Radius
    Fuel Economy
    CVT!!!

Cons:
    Storage Space
    Rougher ride

Ride is balanced by the CVT.
    I am still in search of the softer slightly lifted suspension kits I saw everywhere in Fiji last year

20. Jdracer

Jdracer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First time Prius owner here and I commute 120 miles a day to work. I've had my car for two weeks now and I love the car. It's small but surprisingly stable and quiet on the freeway. I don't regret purchasing the C over the regular Prius.
    Search for 2017 Prius C new online. I purchased the last new 2017 Prius C "One" off there lot and since it was the only one left they gave it to me for 16500.

Alternatively, the Prius Prime is on sale for 23k and you get a 4500 tax break at the end of the year. It's a plug in so your first 30 miles would be electric....bonus you can drive in the carpool lane by your self in CA. I would have gotten that but I need a 5 seater.