1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about a Volt

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rest, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've had my 2007 Prius for 7 years now and have been thinking about making the move to a Chevy Volt. However, I'm kind of in a dilemma over this decision. On the one hand there's nothing wrong with my Prius other than a few dings here and there. A few years ago I even upgraded the 12 volt battery to an Optima Yellow top. It's been paid off for a while, only has around 35K miles, the insurance and DMV fees are low. I know a new car comes with increased expenses but it will have the latest technology and considering most of my driving is around town, I feel the Volt would be more tailored to my needs. Plus between the new lower price (down $5k), my GM Card points $1,000 off MSRP, and the $7,500 tax credit, it makes the Volt appealing. Granted the Volt wouldn't be a fuel efficient as my 07 Prius on long trips. A few years back I took my Prius across country and averaged 50 miles to the gallon for 3,000 miles. I also know that as my Prius ages, it will become less and less efficient. And the last time I got new tires for it, I had a alignment done and sadly discovered that the rear wheels of my Prius can't be done without considerable expense and a knowledgable tech, so that kind of bugs me about the Prius.

Now I had thought about a new Prius, but I'm not liking the body style. And I'm not in a hurry to have car payments again, nor do I want to pay cash. But if I lease, then I won't get the tax credit.

I'd appreciate suggestions, but please be gentle.

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You get most of the $7500 tax credit in the lease terms with an ALLY or USA BANK lease on the Volt.

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would have considered one if the dollars made sense, but without being able to charge at work, the numbers game went to the Prius for my commute.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you can stomach owning a GM, then why not. Keep the Prius and buy the Volt as your primary vehicle. It sounds like you are itching for something new. Nothing wrong with that, just don't do it to save money because it never works that way. :)

Volt is an... interesting vehicle. Mostly love/hate, just like the Prius. Because of the badge on the bonnet, I would only go so far as to lease so you can dump it later when the inevitable GM problems appear.

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

If your utility is with PG&E, you can enroll in the new EV-A program. That means no tier, just 9-ish cents off peak per kwh. Since the battery stops at about 35% before engaging the ICE, you are looking at about 10 kwh of electricity charging. about $1 per charge.

In your case of not using the car much, it might not make too much sense to buy a new car. My wife's 05 has 150k miles and it still runs like new (hybrid battery is a little used), but it still runs like a champ. I have a hard time to justify replacing that car with a Volt, which has been in my mind. For me, I might wait for the next gen Volt. I doubt GM will be able to sell 200k units by then to not get the $7500 tax credit. The $1500 CA rebate, that is another story not known by then.

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You only average 5K miles a year so you're not going to get much fuel savings, or expenses, no matter what you drive. After 7 years with a car I can see getting the itch for something new, but in your case nothing will make sense financially. IMHO you should stick with the Prius for a few more years and save up for something down the road when there will be more options for high efficiency cars.

Keep in mind this is coming from a happy Volt owner.

Jeff

The Electric Me likes this.
  7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I forgot to mention that I have solar electric on my home and it always produces more power than I use. And my garage queen is a Corvette.

8. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a nice vehicle. The EV experience in the car is very nice without ICE intrusion.

With only 35,000 miles on your Prius in 6 years long trips on a routine basis do not seem to be a major issue. It is also not an economic decision. Do what makes you happy. After the lease is up there will be new technology available.

Perhaps a Gen 4 Prius with a 25 mile battery pack and 60 mpg at the perfect time when the mid cycle refresh is done and all the initial problems are resolved.

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually I've owned it for 7 years, bought in new in 2006. So I'm really having the itch for something different. This is unusual for me, because I normally keep my vehicles at least 10 years.

10. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt is certainly one option. I would also look at the other good option.
    The Ford C-Max Energi plug-in is another vehicle you should look at before
    committing to a Volt. Ford is offering a $2K rebate and Zero % financing,
    I just bought one on Aug. 18th. I was driving a Prius C, but found it's not for me.
    The Ford is an SEL package and has a 7.6 kWh battery. I get 28 miles form a charge.
    I didn't like how the volt will run the ICE to produce power to charge the battery.
    It's an inefficient setup and after the battery is empty, you'll get about 38 MPG.
    Have a look and take a test drive before you buy the Volt so you'll know what else is
    available. My local Ford dealer screwed up my C-max deal, so I bought the C as an
    interim vehicle. 90 days later, I got the deal on the C-Max at another dealer and saved
    a lot of money with the zero % interest loan from Ford. Not to mention the $2K and
    another 3K with the Ford AtoZ family plan :cool:

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends what your primary concern is.
    If it is using less gas, and your long trips are rare, and 38 miles meets your daily uses, I'd say the Volt is a great choice.
    As mentioned above, the 2nd gen Volt is due out next year. That may be worth waiting for.

We leased for exactly the reason mentioned earlier, I was skeptical of GM but we found the Volt very reliable.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  12. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I'm going to buy a new Volt, I'm going to do it this year as I could use the tax credit for 2013. Waiting until next year won't help me. So if I don't buy this year then I'll end up waiting at least 3 more years. I've thought about the Ford Energi before and may have to revisit it again.

13. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean the rear wheel alignment is off and can't be adjusted easily?
    I had this same issue with my previous car, 2008 Honda Fit. Far as I know the Fit uses the same rear torsion suspension layout as the prius. My Fit had rear toe issues after 3 years(160,000km) and Honda told me the same story, can't fix it, something to do with the nature of the torsion beam suspension, only camber was adjustable in the rear. Sad to hear it is the same with the prius as thats one of the reasons i dumped the fit after 4 years and 200,000km of abuse. Mechanically it was great, suspension/body was starting to show signs of wear. The rear "toe" was out enough on the one side that the rear end tended to break lose and swing to the left when hard braking on slick surfaces. I could've just drove slower and took it easy on the old girl but it was enough of an excuse for me to go buy a new prius. I hope I make it at least 7 years before that happens with my v. I had my fit paid off within 2 years of ownership, this time i'm in it for 5 years with the v, i miss being payment free and sometimes wish i just kept the fit till it fell apart.
    If your financially comfortable with taking on car payments i'd say go for it, thats the only downside i can think of trading in for a new car. Can't beat the new car smell :)

14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a happy Volt owner of 6 weeks.

The driving experience is amazing.

If you don't want to go over this cliff I'd advise that you avoid a test drive.

Good luck with your decision.

[Note: we still have our 2011 Prius].

15. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do consider the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium as an alternative. Having owned all three Prius generations, currently on the PiP, I and my son bought the Fusion Ti this Memorial Day weekend.

We turned 11 thousand miles on it so far, and just came back from a three-week, 7,000 mile cross country trip with it. It is a surprising, well-built, well-designed car - had it been available in early 2012, I would have never gone for the PiP.

16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A simple spreadsheet will give you the numbers.

But car purchases are sometimes lifestyle driven and sometimes emotional decisions.

I rationalized and spreadsheeted but the real deciding factor was I wanted something different. Make sense economically, heck no. Do I enjoy the change? Yes. (and it was radical...Porsche and CRV to Prius v)

The cheapest car is almost always the one that is paid off (lower depreciation, lower taxes, lower insurance, continued investment income) as long as it is reliable.

Wife made the decision on an "I don't trust it" basis selling a perfectly maintained car with 70k miles for almost nothing. She enjoys her new Avalon. Her choice was very very different than mine, but it was what she wanted.

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Exactly.

And this issue kind of screws up a tire warranty, because they usually require that you keep the wheels aligned to get the rated mileage out of them.

18. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like how it looks, but the MSRP is much higher than the Volt. I'm also reading that the Volt gets the higher tax credit. The thing I do like about the Ford though, is that it looks like a "normal" car, because I'm so over abnormal looking vehicles that Hybrids and electrics usually are.

cycledrum likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You have a wide range of choices in BEVs in California. The Spark EV has 80+ miles of range, starts around $28k, and is qualified for the full $7500. I think they all are qualified for the full credit. Keep the Prius, or just rent. Though, some companies, like Fiat, offer free rentals with their EV model.

Jeff N likes this.
  20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is total BS and the person who told you is an idiot or wants to sell you a new axle.
    The rear toe can be adjusted by putting wheel shims in. Easy DIY job. If are not comfortable yourself, it should be $200 job at a competent alignment shop. I had it done in a corolla, same torsion axle construction.

I also considered Volt as my new car when I'm bored with my 2010 Prius, but I don't think so anymore after discovering this:

DailyTech - Chevy Volt Can't Handle Hot Southwest, but Otherwise is Looking Good