1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about adding a sunroof to my 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Zachary Allbritton, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Zachary Allbritton

Zachary Allbritton New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,

I own a 2005 Prius, and have become very interested in installing a sunroof after seeing the newer models having sunroofs come stock. I was wondering if that were possible, and what effect it would have on the car. I'm aware that the MPG would lower slightly, due to modifications to the aerodynamics when the sunroof is open.

If it is possible, where would I be able to get this done and/or what would the price tag be?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no prolemo, a number of priuschatters have done it. i don't think it effects mpg's unless you have the tilt up model, and then, not much. check with your local mod shoppes. all the best!(y)

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    When Toyota does it don't they add braces to the roof structure to maintain rollover protection? I doubt aftermarket installers do.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but how often do we roll over, really?

valde3 and PLSPUSH like this.
  5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It only takes ONCE. :eek:

Start at a dealership.
    That way you will have a price to compare.

Once you get the price, you might decide that trading cars would be cheaper in the long run.

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I wouldn't. there's a very good chance you will end up with a butchered roof and a water leak. look at your cars roof from behind. you will see it isn't flat, but is lower in the center. who makes a sunroof with the correct contour for your car? if they chop a hole in your roof and then bend it to fit a universal sunroof, it will look like dooky at best. and if the POS jams in the open position, your car will stink like mildew forever.
    I've repaired quite a few factory sunroofs in benzes-- they seem to break a lot. I'd never want a hole in my roof, just waiting fill my car with rain and make it stink.

Data Daedalus and valde3 like this.