1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about buying a plug in

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Gregg Gilden, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Gregg Gilden

Gregg Gilden New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Guys, I don't have a Prius...but it wouldn't accept my trying to post here without me specifying.

I have a dream...that would be people who live in apartments would not have to use charging stations, instead they would own 20 lb chargers that they would carry from their apartment to their car and charge it.

I realize this wouldn't work in Manhattan, because even the Yeti 3000 could only give you 18 miles, but in places like NJ, Brooklyn, Queen, Long Island, I think it can work.

So I need help, because I'm not an electrician.

Here is the thought process and logistics (in the form of a letter):

Dear Prius rebuilder people (if any of them see this posting and can reply first hand with estimates I’d appreciate it):

I’m a retired on disability former state worker computer geek with ADHD, OCD, TMI, and possibly aspergers.

I only drive a couple of miles (under 100 and that’s to my parents) every two weeks. On a weekly basis I maybe drive a total of 30 miles to go to the supermarket, get pizza and go to physical therapy 4 miles from my apartment.

I’m looking at buying a Prius Prime.

I live in an apartment. No running the cable to the car.

I want to buy two of these 500 to 2000 kWh portable batteries, which I need to keep under 20 lbs (ruling out most of the units like the Yeti). Sungzu over in China makes a 1kW unit that does the job, I also saw a 500 kW unit at Walmart (but I’m thinking a little bigger).

I want to do one of:

a) Put up a couple of solar power panels in the car when it’s idle. Hear me out. The sales guy at Subaru said the Crosstrek (same size battery 8.79 kWh, 25A), said it would take 100 chargers at 12 volts, but the way I see it, even

1. a. 12 volts, 100 watts=2080 hours
    2. b. 12 volts, 1000 watts=208 hours (now I’m assuming I can’t put 1 1000 watt charger in the car, but I can put 4 250s or maybe even 3 400’s) so essentially it’s 1 free gallon of gas a month because I’m assuming only 12 hours of power, and the equivalent of 75% efficiency even though a 250 cell produces 350 kWh a day…and remember the Prius battery doesn’t fully discharge when you run it down.
    b) Buy the power station and charge it in the apartment
    c) Buy the power station and charge it using solar panels in the apartment.

I am aware that if you use an external charger like the Yeti 3000, you have to drop the car’s power draw to 900 W and in order to accomplish that, you might have to run the ground to the negative to stop the ground fault (good words, but I don’t know how to do that).

Forget why, lets talk about how (logistics):

I. I’d like to open up the back and put in a splitter at the connector for the power input to the battery (pictures available) and the 12 volt system to which I’d hook up another power input only I’d leave it on the inside of the car…like having a cigarette lighter plug, or a USB plug, in the back section of the car.

II. If I can’t do that run the power cord from the power station out the back window and plug it into the charger

1) Can I leave the solar power charger plugged into the power station, plugged into the car all day?

2) Do you guys know solar chargers fitting the size of the dashboard and back window?

3) If the car can do a solar panel plug in, can the Prius be charging while it’s driving? Obviously the panel on the dashboard would have to be moved.

4) Can the solar panels be secured for the back window into the ceiling of the back of the car and then be secured flat when the car is in motion and to the door while stationary?

5) If the car can’t do the solar thing, is charging the 25A powerstation, utilizing the 110v in the apartment, 2 units, plugging them into the prius and swapping them twice a day doable (figure 8 trips for a full tank because the electric engine cuts out before it’s empty)?

6) In the event the station isn’t rated at 1000W continual, can the Prius’ draw be set below 900 W continual?

7) Do you know what kind of voltage a standard computer’s power jack (used for desktops and monitors) because that’s the plug on some of the powerstations I’m looking at?

8) Can I get the 240 volt (220?) instead of the 110v and use that the way I’m thinking?

9) Can a solar charger really recharge a 25A charger in 6 hours like Sungzu says?

Now those are the general questions.

I see about 4 modification guys on Google Maps in North NJ and Brooklyn. I’m in the Brick area. Does anyone know of a place that mods the Prius by me?

How much to get an aftermarket modification to:

A. Pull out all the screws, put in the splitter and the charging port in the back of the car, and close everything back up. I’ve seen it torn down in 15 minutes, and I’m not looking to open the battery…so allowing for a half to a full hour of work.

B. Get me an appropriate spare tire and then the styroform case (or other alternative) for the tire, which would also go over the power station, and the excess would be used to secure the power station so it doesn’t bounce around.

C. Build me a second top for the spare tire and the power station to slide under (with enough ventilation for the charging station) so that I can still use the trunk as a trunk (I’ll draw you a picture if you write back).

They way I'm figuring this my brother in law is a mechanic and we could in theory if we knew the cable to split open the car up in about an hour,
    • plug the outlet in (price unknown),
    • the power stations would run between $500 and $1500, running about a dollar a Watt (Sungzu 1kW is $500 plus $250 shipping) KISEA home kit from Home Depot $380 for 800w, etc
    • Solar cells are about 1000 per kw , 1500 for the windy nation flexibles, as low as 500 per on some of the bigger ones (which obviously don't fit in the car).

Now I had a last minute thought, could someone McGiver up a smaller version of the Prius Battery (which has like 28 cells, which is in segments that weight 20 lbs which could be removed from the car and charged in the apartment…THAT would be something.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

sorry to shatter your dreams, but none of this is possible.

might be better to take another look at charging stations.

all the best!(y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I looked at those ideas for a while and couldn't figure out where to even start with so many misconceptions.

I wouldn't say to not get a Prime. Just that none of your ideas are physically possible. But you might be able to plug in elsewhere. And if not, with the rebates and tax incentives, a Prime can cost less than another Prius and it will still get better gas mileage even if you just drive it like a regular hybrid. But it will have less storage space.

Prius from Dad, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, nj is the perfect storm for prime discounts. should be able to net a plus for under 20k!

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, the original owner of my Prime apparently plugged it in very rarely if I interpret those monthly averages of 45 or so mpg correctly.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any chance the owner of the apartment building would be willing to put some 110V outlets where you could charge overnight?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    BUT!!! Are they free? Doesn't take a whole lot at a charging station to make it more expensive than gasoline. Even at $3.00/gallon, the equivalent electric cost would have to be < $0.22/kWh. Breakeven at that price is $1.42 for a full 6.6 kWh charge. The one place I found near me is $2/hour, minimum $2.00. IF the minutes after the first hour are prorated and it takes 2.5 hours to charge, the cost would be $3 or $0.10/mile if you get 30 miles of EV range. Even assuming a lousy 50 MPG on gas it is only $0.06/mile.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gas locally is about 3 bucks. i can go about 60 miles on it. 60 miles of ev costs me about $3.60, so it is still cheaper to drive on gas around here.

but short trips, aye, there's the rub. a couple miles in a prius with a cold engine on gas is expensive.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just a note.to receive the Fed tax credit you need to owe federal tax. Based on your self description.You may or may not get the credit?? Also is about 100 times easier to get electric to the car for regular charging then to go thru the steps you are trying to figure out. There is probably electric outside near your car, closer then you think...simple modification of a light socket gets you enough juice to solve your problem. Are you in a semi private lot?? Parking garage, complex with some sort of association?? Contact the owner and see if your can install a 110 outlet at your expense. Or look around, there may be an exterior outlet on a building already, or an interior outlet just inside an exit door. Minor trouble to park near the outlet vs creating a portable battery to charge. Worst case you have to add an outlet to an existing leg to charge.100 ft of conduit installed by an electrician wont cost much.

11. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After hunting around my work parking garage, and my apt. complex parking lots,I found multiple places I could charge.it took me about two months to notice all of them... now my eye is trained to see conduit, extension cords, outlets, posts, basically anything than might have an outlet outside within reach of my cord. The is an outlet in the bushes by the ac units , no idea why, but it's there and its mine now. Manager said go ahead!! Depends who you ask, ask the person you have the best chance of getting a yes from. Maintenance guy, manager , owner...who is the most likely to agree.You only want to charge once a week, it's a cost of 60 to 80 cents...convince them

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool!! They let me use the outlet by the air conditioners at our church. It's there so the A/C technician will have power to run his vacuum pump if he has to evacuate and repair the system.