1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about buying!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kimmie, May 9, 2016.

1. Kimmie

Kimmie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm looking to get my daughter a newer car. She is headed to college right now with a 2002 Honda Accord. We've had it a year with no major issues but lots of small ones. She will only be an hour away from home. I just don't know if I trust the Honda. We have never owned a hybrid. We are looking at a 2006 Toyota Prius Touring. To my knowledge the car has all the bells and whistles except auto seats. It has been meticulously kept. It has right at 75,000 miles. It's at a small dealer who has a shop next to his house. We've known the dealer for years as 2 of my brothers have bought from him. He wants $7900 for it. I checked KBB with the options it has and it shows from a dealer, $7915 - $9800. What do you experienced Prius owners think and what are some things I should look for? Also, the guy said he just replaced the hybrid battery which I will definitely want proof of. Thanks in advance!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know if the prius will be anymore reliable than the accord.

If the hv battery has been replaced by a brand new battery from Toyota, then it may be worth it for $7900. If it's a refurbished battery, then I would not consider the car to be a more reliable choice compared to the Honda and probably not worth $7900

3. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First, if the only problems on the Honda are minor items, I would keep it.

Reason: if you buy a newer car, that means a car payment of what $250 per month?

Factor in the Honda. How much does it cost to fix all those minor items? If it is less than 4 (or whatever) months of payments of $250, I would keep car and run it to the ground.

I rather have now car payments and lower insurance than buy a newer car and amass more debt and higher insurance premiums.

If you decide to buy the prius, make sure it was a genuine Toyota battery that was new.

Good luck.

iPhone ?

4. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kimmie,

Having a daughter just home from Omaha after her first year, I can relate to your situation.
    I have a 2008 Accord V6 with 62K. My past Hondas have all been very reliable. You didn't say the mileage on your Accord, but if it is paid for,
    has good tires, brakes, and runs good, I would keep it. She is only an hour away, if she
    has any major car issues.
    You can always use the money for other college expenses.
    If you want to buy the Prius for yourself and for your daughter, it sounds like a good, fair price.

stt

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Kimmie, I wouldn't trust the seller as the car is misrepresented. It can't be a 2006 Touring because Toyota didn't sell them until 2007. The car should have leather seats, nav, fog lights and HID headlights.

How does the price for that car compare to those listed on cars.com or truecar.com?

Register the VIN at Toyota Owners Official Web Site to get the dealer service history. If the traction battery was replaced with a new one from Toyota it will have a service record and some warranty. At the least one would expect a new traction battery to last at least 8 years.

Maintenance records are not always clear. Was the 12v battery or the traction battery replaced? Ask a dealer's Service Dept.

If the battery is a "refurb" someone swapped out some dead or weak cells from the original battery and replaced them with "better" old cells from another battery and the "new" battery will be only as good as the person rebuilding it. Personally, I wouldn't expect that battery to last a year and I wouldn't expect a hassle-free warranty experience.

Some rebuilders are better than others. There are a few regular posters here that I would trust.

Just my opinion: The car is overpriced and you should budget $3000 for repairs that will need sooner rather than later. Did a new car dealer send this car to auction?

6. PaulD

PaulD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great advice.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would definitely feel better about giving my daughter a 4 year newer vehicle. With fewer miles it is likely to be more reliable.

However, if I had $8000 I'd use it to pay off her college education first. I know if I were a college student driving a reliable car like a Honda Accord, I'd rather have less student loans than a newer Prius.