1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about changing headlight bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MikeSF, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2006 car nearly 130k miles on it (haven't been driving as much in the past few years since my wife got a Rav4 hybrid), and figure it might be getting time to change the headlight bulbs... they're the stock ones that came with it. I know I need to buff the acrylic shields as they're super yellow, but might as well make it all right in one shot.

So my question is am I limited to the standard halogen(?) bulbs that came with it? Or can I put HID or LED bulbs in by chance? Or do those other two need a special ballast to run?

2. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'd go with some quality halogen bulbs. I tried led bulbs but wasn't happy with the filiment alignment in the reflector. I did the buffing but ended just replacing the light assemblies.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Philips Xtreme Power are supposedly very good. Amazon and Walmart seem to have them at a fair price.

bobodaclown likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The HID lights have problems. Thank your lucky stars you have the halogen bulbs and just get new ones.

5. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely clean your headlight housings, especially if you are considering an LED conversion. Cloudy headlight housings will create unnecessary glare to oncoming drivers as well as reduce usable light output downroad.