1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about getting a Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by haramassive, Jan 18, 2016.

1. haramassive

haramassive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So...

I'm sure you guys get this a lot.

I'm a car enthusiast on a budget and looking around for a new car. I had a Ford Cmax hybrid, which I loved, but it had a leak that couldn't be repaired by the dealer. Long story short, the lemon law got me a refund and I'm back in the market and currently lacking a car.

I know stepping into a Prius I'm not going to be finding blistering performance
    My questions for the PriusChat community are:
    1. How does it handle windy backroads?
    2. Do you guys have any suggested suspension modifications that could make it more fun on twisty roads?
    3. What sort of MPG do you guys get going 80ish on the highway or on long highway trips.

The sort of driving I do varies between a 60 mile curvy mountain road commute and a long 200 mile highway commute on the weekends. I put LOTS of miles on cars haha.

If I could get some feed back I would appreciate it so much!

THANK YOU!

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When you test drive a Prius do not forget to try the PWR mode and the ECO mode. It does have some power if you want it.

Most of my interstate driving is done at around 82mph. It handles great and we get a bit over 50mpg.

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I guess that the handling question would vary depending on whether you are considering a gen 3 or a gen 4 Prius. The new one is rumored to handle much better.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    these answers are for the gen 3 Prius. Toyota is introducing a Gen 4 Prius with an independent rear suspension this month.

Slowly. It has a solid beam rear axle that is adequate to hold up the rear of the car.
    Jack up the decals, and roll a Miata under them.
    At constant speed on level ground.
    [​IMG]
    Then a Prius can save you money, driven wisely. (See chart above)

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) Very poorly, worse handling car I've ever driven
    2) The standard: start with the TRD strut bars, then TRD springs and struts, and finally fatter 17" wheels or just get the persona edition. This is for the Gen 3. Have not driven the 2016
    3) 43 mpg. The worst fuel economy I ever get is averaging 80+ on the freeway road trips to San Diego back and forth. I have a plug in so I average much higher for my daily commute.