1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

thinking about leasing or buying a 2010 Prius, should I wait?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by vajratlr, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The world is full of people for whom finances are only 1 part of complicated decisions.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If somebody comes asks whether to buy or lease they're asking for financial advice.

3. rmay

rmay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True. You are one of them. Please, do tell us all about the genius economics of your Model IV purchase vs. buying a Model II? How was that a sound financial decision? You paid $3800 for what extras? How are they paying off for you? You got water repellent side glass. Rain X costs $2.99. You got leather seats. Cloth seats get II drivers from point A to point B just the same, at lower cost. You bought in-dash NAV; aftermarket systems work fine for $150.

Get off everyone's back who can't afford a purchase and the cash flow of a lease gets them in. You throw stones, yet live in a glass house.

Congratulations to everyone that got a car they are happy with and feels satisfied with what they paid. Don't let this guy's attitude drag you down.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My IV does not have NAV. I have a Garmin that works 100X better then the factory NAV that comes with the Prius. I drive 35,000 miles a year and plan on keeping the car 10 years. Cloth seats would never last that long. I did a lot of research before I bought the car. Based on my driving habits this was the best car for me. I paid cash for the car.

Did you ever think of the reason a person might have cash flow issues. Maybe it’s because of bad financial decisions in the past. Another bad decision like a lease is going to put you in a worse position.

5. rmay

rmay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on the Garmin. Good choice, and I have to give you credit that you addressed the question. Still looks like you paid too much, though, just as you point to all the leasees you abuse with your same tired schtick over and over again. How's that incremental $3800 paying you back? "I did a lot of research" is a pretty weak financial analysis, when as we know from your lectures it's always just about the financials. Maybe you should have researched it a little more.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought the topic is leasing vs. buying. It is not about spending less and getting less optional features.

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have made good financial decisions in life. I am 43 years old. My House is paid for. I have invested 15% of my income into retirement for the last 20 years. My credit score is 834 out of 850. I have zero dept and paid cash for the car.

I made the decision to splurge on he extra features of the IV over the II. This does not change the fact that leasing is bad.

[​IMG]

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    True