1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about replacing the factory head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by agreendc, Jul 15, 2013.

1. agreendc

agreendc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I am thinking of replacing the touchscreen radio in my 2013 prius 2.

I am probably gonna go with this radio, really good reviews and will do everything I want without busting the bank. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X350BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X3500BHS.html

W
    hat I am trying to figure out is how will it look with the black dash kit that Crutchfield includes? Does anyone have any pics? If it looks terrible is there a place to buy a silver one that matches a little better?

Thanks a lot guys.

Dawit likes this.
  2. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think you can really go wrong with Pioneer, great radio for the price. I'm curious to hear what you think of the Mixtrax if you use it, sounds cool.

3. agreendc

agreendc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll let you know once it's up and running. Crutchfield gave me instructions to hook a wire to the parking break sensor wire (?) which was located on the fusebox down under the dash, and on the firewall side where my big hands couldn't reach. I gave up and took it to a stereo shop to get it hooked up, $80 bucks which feels like stealing.

They are installing the radio, sirius adapter, and the steering wheel adapter.

I actually am a bit worried about the steering wheel controls though... with no radio hooked up at all I went to use the trip/mode/etc buttons on the right side of the steering wheel and they didn't work?? Doesn't make any sense to me, especially since the SW adapter I bought doesn't even interface with those wires.

Should this work when the radio is hooked up? If not is there a work around or different steering wheel adapter that does work? Or some other work around?

here is the adapter iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro SW
    iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW Steering wheel control interface — connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to an aftermarket stereo at Crutchfield.com