1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about trading in the Pri...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Oh, I FULLY agree...

However, I also anticipate a much shorter commute after I make my final move. My current commute is the resultant of a "chance" position I could not pass up.

Actually, I don't think gas will go down too much more at all. After all, it is a finite resource, and currently, SUPPOSEDLY, refineries are at max. production, in addition to commodities brokers, IMO, artificially panicing thereby the price through the roof. On the flip side, I don't think it's coincidence that when the heads of oil companies get dragged into a Congressional inquiry, the price goes down enough to stop the plebes from getting too outraged. Regardless of my reasonings, I do not have any reason to believe we'll once again see $1.20 gal/for 87...

In any event...

2. Mystery Squid

Hence another good reason to unload it NOW.....

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am not sure what "premium" means. I used to drive a Pathfinder, MPG is around 15 to 20 MPG I guess? With the Prius, I get 60's in the summer, and now it got cold (high 20's to low 30's in NY), I manage to get low 50's and high 40's. That's not same or 5 mpg better. Other than better mileage, it's ALOT cleaner in terms of emission.

4. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Interesting. If you have a MUCH shorter commute that might also hurt your mileage if you stick with the Prius, ironically. But then again, the warmer weather in Florida would do much better for mileage than the stupid weather here in MA.

I suppose it's not a bad idea if your driving will be completely different soon.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I don't think you will have to worry about the snow in Florida that often

6. Mystery Squid

I agree with Scotty on the mileage aspect, I can EASILY beat the EPA without driving like an old lady in the summer. Driving LIKE an old lady, I can probably hit the 65 mark, but I'm waaaaaay too impatient... :lol:

7. Mystery Squid

:lol: I do not know, maybe trying to stay away from politics for a bit, too many people get waaaaay too worked up. Myself included!

I've always loved the F-150's though... For reasons I don't really recall, I never trusted Dodge, or liked the styling of Chevy's...

8. Mystery Squid

True, hence, no need for real need for 4 wheel drive, therefore the truck will be a little cheaper. Heck, even I have to admit 4 wheel drive is only seriously useful for maybe a handful of days up here in Boston...

9. Venturer

Venturer New Member

When I announced that I was trading our 05 Prius for a minivan, I thought I was the only one dissatisfied with the Prius. Looks like I wasn't alone. It is a great "Little" car and many find it to be just what the want. Last night coming home from a granddaughters concert in our new Sienna, my wife said " Isn't it wonderful to be sitting up high again to be more comfortable and able to see so much better"? She is soo right. The Prius was a nice experience, but one I'm not likely to have again. The extra cost of gas is less than 1/2 of 1% of our income, so it is a non factor. We now look forward to our next trip instead of dreading it. I have to admit that the Prius made me a more efficient driver. .

Doug

10. Mystery Squid

See, that's the balance... Now, it seems, the Prius is in such high demand, that I would like to think I'll get a great trade-in value for it. However, if things don't go as planned, and I must remain in New England another year, the trade-in might not be so sweet in addition to the additional mileage....

11. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think driving like an old lady will improve mileage that much. We all know that the ICE is not efficient at low RPM right? Accelerate too slow is actually bad for MPG. I usually just drive it like a normal car unless I hit traffic on the highway.

12. Mystery Squid

This is true... It does seem much easier to get from 52-60 than it does from, let's say, 60-62....

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sierra Denali 3500 HD Crew Cab, with SLT package and Duramax diesel, Onstar, Navigation, DVD and Sunroof. Now that would be a big change form your Prius, probably only 20 mpg.

14. Mystery Squid

I should note that I'm a used car kinda guy... :lol: I think there are far better deals to be had within the used regime. For example, I've been reading an add for an '03 (or '02), Supercrew F-150 for 17K with 40 some odd on the clock, with the 5.4....

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Late-model used truck values have really tanked over the last 6 months. It is a great time to be looking for a used truck there are some 'steals' out there.

16. Mystery Squid

Yup. :D

Came across an '04 F350 supercrew... 21K 6.8V10... (90 on the clock though :( )

17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Get one of those :angry: and your banned from PC....at least I'll put you on the ignore list! :lol:

18. QED

QED New Member

Getting back to the original post. I have just three words...(from the immortral Pat Paulson)

Picky....picky......picky :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. Mystery Squid

:lol: No way man, even I think that's WAAAAY excessive... Never mind the high mileage...

20. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Guaranteed that your inflated trade-in value is good for at least another year. The Prius buzz hasn't crescendoed (Kiloran, is that a verb?) yet. We're one more Hugo Chavez away from another OPEC tightening of the choke-hold.