1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about trading in the Pri...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 7, 2005.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oil will go up again but the oil execs and the saudis are scared to death of killing the goose laying the golden eggs.

2. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

This whole $9500 thing started by that BOGUS article in the WSJ is a load of crap. A Prius costs exactly $____ more (or less) than the other car you would have purchased in its place. If you would have bought a used Kia instead of Prius, then maybe $9500 is the right number.

And how bad of a driver do you have to be to get low 40 mpg or less in a Prius? I have averaged 51.5 mpg over 25,000 miles. I recently took a 500 mile trip on the interstate. I turned on the AC, set the cruise control to 80, and got 47 mpg. I'm not sure how I would do worse than that.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't do worst than 40mpg. If I'm not in economy mode, I'll probably get 47mpg in the summer vs my usual 53mpg. Now, it'll probably be 40 vs my current 46mpg.

4. JKnight

JKnight Member

Isn't this kind of apples and oranges?

If you're a big guy and you want a big truck, the Prius ain't it!

As for gas cost, it goes up and it comes down. Yeah, the oil execs are getting their hands slapped right now, but does anybody really doubt that the overall trend will be up, as it's been for the last fifty years?

It makes sense to me to trade the Prius in now, while demand is still high, and to pick up a bargain in a truck IF YOU WANT A TRUCK.

Me, I wouldn't trade even-steven or even want the deal if I came out ahead, but then...I don't want a big, honkin' truck. I don't like driving them and don't need one, so there you are. Or there I am. Or whatever.

Jan

5. wstander

wstander New Member

How about a diesel? Especially if one can get biodiesel...

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Follow up:

Just got back from the dealership... lol

Now, usually, USUALLY, I retain an emotionless attitude when the time comes to get down and dirty, but here's a verbatim excerpt of my conversation with the thiev-er, salesman:

S: Well, this is the best we could do for your trade-in... (puts piece of paper down with a real simplistic calculation, in bold marker)

Squid: "OH HELL NO!" (and immediately got up) :lol:

They offered $14,900...

(it's a basic '04 with 26K on the clock)

Sheesh. You would THINK they might round up to $15,000 just to make it LOOK a little better? lololololol

Anyway, they didn't have the particular truck I wanted, claimed it was at another one of their branches, but did have some equivalents which, lo-and behold, were just a weeee bit more expensive...

Long and short, I actually test drove a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab.

synopsis: sucked.

It always amazed me how the interiors of some vehicles haven't evolved since, oh, 1989.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Although it was technically a "crew cab", it felt far more like an extended cab. I swear the rear doors were maybe only 2 inches wider and simply opened up in the right direction... :lol:

Anyway, I just asked for my FOB and left. Of course, I did have to go with him to the sales desk to get the key, which was handed to me by the sales manager, who I could sort of tell wanted to have a discussion, but I think he got the feeling that I was going to be one of "those" customers (I was still dressed up from work, and I'm sure the salesman told him what I did for a living), and decided against it.

So, who knows, maybe whatever market analysis they did yielded them that rate, I really don't care, for actually, I sort of felt better as I drove off.

I tell you though, even though I like my Prius, I really don't feel safe in it sometimes, particularly when cars, often far bigger, whiz by me on the highway... and that was another motivator for all this...

So, in the end, I'm still relatively happy with my Prius, and don't think I'm going to be doing any shopping around for a while...

7. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Well - Yeah! - Because if you bought something else, you probably wouldn't spend time on this site.

8. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you might be looking at the EPA numbers when you say the Camry would get high 30's with the 4cyl. We looked at the Camry before we went with the Prius. While the EPA is 24/34, Consumer Reports got 24 overall. Theoretically, our Sienna should get up to 26 mpg, I don't think we ever averaged more than 16.1(according to the computer). I too believe people don't realize how little gas mileage they get in real world driving, especially when you're not trying to be an efficient driver.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. $5k off...

There's an 03 Prius here in BC with 10,000kms selling for $26k. Original when new is $29,990 all in CAD.

10. Mystery Squid

I really wonder if I'm going to get a call today with a slightly better offer... :lol:

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Lucky you didn't run in to me in my selling prime, you would be driving something different today! :D

12. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

What's the NADA listing on your model show?

13. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

you dress up for work?? Like how? Like the guy in your avatar?

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll bet he doesn't wear a cowboy hat in Massachusetts.

15. Mystery Squid

Pretty much... Sux too, nothing but a uniform for grown ups... Of course, some would argue the grown ups part... :lol:

16. Mystery Squid

You know, I've always wanted to visit someplace where I could wear one and not be out of place....! :D

17. Mystery Squid

Average Trade-In Average Retail
    Base Price

$19,300 $21,850

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have lived in Montana and North Dakota, and wore a cowboy hat and cowboy boots whenever I went out drinking.... the good ol' days! :D

19. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but that doesn't go with the picture on your website.

20. Mystery Squid

<_<

Not sure I understand... I'm at home in the pic. on my website, if you're referring to the first picture you see when you click upon my "myspace" link below...