1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

thinking ahead to winter (wheels and tires)

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First, congrats on a good find, especially you got those for $50~ each (did you say?). My hat's off to you, I gotta quit being a nay sayer.

You can a gizmo(s) that allows you to bypass the dealer, program yourself. I've not research, don't have interest in it, I guess mainly because being in Canada I'm not obligated, yada yada. The device cost is not trivial ($100~200?), and there's a learning curve with it.

If you can find an installer willing to install tires TPMS free, I'd still go that route. But still, you're halfway there now.

What's maddening to me: go back a decade, none of this TPMS nonsense, life simple.

2. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Yeah, $50 each for the wheels and $60 for the taillight.

Would an installer have to do anything different when mounting tires on these? Do they have to reset or program something or is that a dealer only thing? I'll look into the "gizmo", but I'm not optimistic about my ability to use it. :)

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nowadays tire installers tend to still charge the $15 per tire for mount/balance/valve, even though they're not replacing the valve. And they'll try to sell you on another charge, a TPMS "rebuild" kit, which I believe is pulling the TPMS sensor and replacing a a gasket on it. Maybe a valve stem too? But the consensus seem to be, if it's not broke, don't fix it: just leave be.

But, I don't think the tire installers are capable of getting the sensors to be detected by the car. Or if they are, it's just the one time, and then back to the dealership. Just for giggles: ask the dealership how much they'd charge for that service? It'd be good to know.

Man, I'm just glad I'm in Canada. Only thing, maybe it's just a matter of time 'till we have tighter regs here too.

4. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So just so I understand, if I can find a shop that will install my "new" tires on my newly acquired TPMS-equipped OEM wheels, and I don't then have them programmed at a dealer, can I just drive on them and ignore the flashing light? Or will the car not run or something strange like that? This shouldn't be that difficult to understand but obviously I'm having a hard time grasping it.

5. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car will more-or-less continually remind you of a mismatch between your car's registered TPMS IDs and your car's installed TPMS IDs, which you may ignore.

In many states it is unlawful for an installer to delete TPMSes on wheels which are intended for use on cars which were originally sold with TPMSes.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good point. Yeah you can drive them. You'll get flashing light is all. The only downside, regular valves get changed with every tire replacement, maybe less leak prone.

I posted a question, asking how people deal with the TPMS rebuild offers, when they're getting replacement. One responder was on 3rd set of tires, with TPMS never touched. One ex-Toyota mechanic chimed in saying to just leave 'em alone.

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you getting salvage wheels with tires on it may be very good deal. Most likely the OEM TPMS are there too.

I'd get them, ATEQ tool ($150), and then swap sets as needed. If tires have enough thread I'd put them on, run through the summer, and then turn them into winter set. If they have a little bit of rust just paint them with Rustoleum Rust reformer. As long as they are not bent in accident.

"Amazon.com: ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool: Automotive"