1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking buying a Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kevins007, Sep 17, 2016.

1. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello and good morning. So I have been thinking of buying a hybrid car. I like the Prius Prime because I can plug it in and it will cover most of my driving.
    However, I test drove a 2017 Chevy Volt and I liked that too, but I am reluctant to give GM my business because in the 80's the GM cars I owned were junk and that is the time I started buying Toyota's and Honda's and I have been very satisfied with the build quality of both cars.
    So I like the Volt, but I am very happy with the experiences that I have had with Toyota since the 80's. Also, I am going to rent a Prius to drive for a 400 mile trip that I will be taking in a few days and I think that will help me with my decision.
    So, can anyone help me with my decision. I have been reading this website for about 3 months and I have learned a lot about the Prius, but I felt the need to start a post and see what reponses I get from people.
    Thank you.

2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not many contributors will "help [you] with the decision." But you are doing the right thing in asking for opinions, and driving examples. I completely agree with you regarding GM and their products. I've owned more Toyota products than any other vehicle, and have yet to experience a problem with any.

I have driven Toyota hybrids since 2009 .... again, absolutely no problem. I too have been following the Prime with interest. Personally, I like the looks of it more than the lift back hybrid. I'm not yet ready to purchase (spring is my date) and it will all come down to price. I've read that the Prime starts at the upper end of the lift back. Keep us posted on your purchase and driving experience.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It depends upon what your priorities are.

If you don't need more EV range, why bother with a car offering a larger battery-pack, especially if the tradeoff is less headroom for rear seating? Prius Prime will deliver much better MPG after depletion too.

There's also the electricity consumption to take into consideration. Your location in the Midwest would mean a greater benefit from the vapor-injected heat-pump Prius Prime will include, rather than the less efficient resistance type heater.

Having 82,000 miles on my Prius PHV, which has been averaging 72 MPG over the past 4.5 years, the decision to upgrade to a Prius Prime right away is a no-brainer. I can recharge at work using solar electricity, which will bump my 19-mile commute average from around 110 MPG to possibly 999 MPG. Since I take long trips routinely, the improved efficiency of the gas-engine will be a nice benefit too.

I'm also looking forward to the variety of goodies Prius Prime will offer that have nothing to do with being clean & efficient. The LED lighting will be sweet, the color head-up-display and new screens will be fantastic, and the dual-wave rear window will be the boom. Carrying my kayaks on top will be interesting, where high-tech and the outdoors collide.

For some perspective, here's a video of a commute to work I filmed last month:

Pijoto, m.wynn, KrPtNk and 1 other person like this.
  4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What is your commute like? For example, approximately what percent of your commuting/shopping/errands will be less than 22 miles (or less than 44 miles if you can destination charge)?

How often do you take road trips such as the one you are about to embark on and what is a typical road trip distance for you?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! if gm quality is your only hang up, reports have been favorable and the car has been on the road for a few years now. i would test drive both (when the prime is available) look at my typical driving to see which ev mileage works best, and see what kind of deal i can get on each, before making my decision.
    one complication that may arise is deciding whether it's better to have not quite enough ev miles and better mpg's, or too many ev miles, worse mpg's and lugging a huge battery around unnecessarily for the few times you might use it. all the best with your decision!(y)

Felt likes this.
  6. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I drive about 7- 10 miles to work. But, I drive about another 20 to 30 per day for work and I get paid milage and that is what started me thinking about the Prius Prime. And I like the idea of having a car that gets more that 20 to 25 mpg (I have a 2002 CRV AWD).
    Also I do like to take long trips >400 miles so the gas savings would pay for itself with a more efficient car.
    Now, where I am lost is most of the technical stuff. Like resistance trype heating vs vapor-injected-heat pump. Does that have to do with heating the inside of the car in the winter? So if people could explain some of technical aspects to me, I would be most grateful.
    And I am 99% certain that I will be getting a Toyota hybrid and not a Chevy because Toyota is really the grandfather of hybrid technology so it makes financial sense to invest it with them.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, cabin heating. the volt will eat up some ev miles with electric heat, if you're not using the engine. but you have plenty of battery to play with.
    prime's new heat pump is supposed to be much more efficient, and i'll be interested to see the specs as well, if they are out yet. also, is there a lower temp limit where it won't be effective?
    with the pip, i just don't use the heat, unless i'm traveling beyond my ev range.

another consideration is interior space, head and legroom, front and back, primes 4 seats and raised battery in the hatch.

8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Prime would be a great car. Just keep in mind, if you can't charge at work and use up your EV range, you would probably stay all electric in a Volt or battery electric vehicle. Understand, however, if a non-Toyota vehicle is a no go.

kevins007 likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt has been well received from quality perspective. The Prime I think has a lot more room in the back seat, but we were surprised when they went with just 2 seats back there. But I think we can say those will be nice roomy seats. Cargo space has not been quoted for Prime yet, but even when they do quote it is hard to get good comparative figures. Worse case scenario Prime about the same as Volt but could be a little bigger. So if you want 4 adults or bigger kids I think Prime wins. If its just one or two passengers such as a solo commuter then Volt has no issue.

Both Volt and Prime sacrifice a lot of cargo space vs. Prius hybrid, so renting the Prius is OK but most people getting plug-ins want to experience the pep of electric drive, which the hybrid version does not really do. If you want a plug-in lite more like a hybrid that would be the orig plugin Prius which you would need to get a used one.

#9 wjtracy, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    RCO and kevins007 like this.
  10. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The only reason I am renting one is because I have never driven a hybrid before.
    Plus, I really like the idea of not having to purchase gas for a car. And in the Milwaukee area off hours electric is cheap so the cost of charging the car every day is far cheaper than buying gas.
    Finally, my main issue with the Volt is that I don't trust GM to build a quality car. I grew up with American cars and from the late 70's to mid 90's they were poorly built. The term GM coined was planned obsolescence.
    I honestly can't say for certain that I want to hand GM 35K for a car. Since I switched to Honda and Toyota in 1985, and I really have not had an issues with a poorly built Honda's or Toyota's. Plus, every car I have bought since 85 has had in excess of 100K miles and driven them another 150K so that speaks volumes about quality with Honda's and Toyota's.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes sense to rent one. prime won't be much different. understand your feelings on gm, you are not alone. but i have read enough, that if it were the right car for me, (it's not) i would purchase one.

kevins007 likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only two people that we know on PC that have driven the Prime are @Danny and @KrPtNk. Look out for test drives in your area as Toyota is doing tours with the Prius Prime. It isn't for sale yet so the rest of us have not had the opportunity to drive it.

However, the Prius Prime is aiming to be the most fuel efficient vehicle at 120mpge. It's expected to get the same 52mpg as the regular Prius (official numbers TBD) and it's expected to get 22 miles AER (although Consumer Reports said they got 28 miles. 2017 Toyota Prius Prime First Drive - Consumer Reports ). It has a couple of cool features like an optional 11.6" HD centre display, a carbon fibre rear hatch, a double bubble rear window (part aerodynamics, part design), full LEDs everywhere except the reverse light and the world's first vapour-injected heat pump which will allow the engine to stay off up to -10°C/14°F and still provide heat to the cabin so that should allow better winter mpg and electric range.

RCO, bisco and kevins007 like this.
  13. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some differences between the driving experience of a Prius and Prime:

The Prime is heavier with a more balanced weight distribution, front to back. The suspension has been tuned to take advantage of that. It is supposed to handle better.

The Prime's acceleration in EV is supposed to make it a bit faster than the liftback.

It has more sound proofing and so road noise is reduced.

Looking out the rear window is more fun (can you tell I like the design).

#13 KrPtNk, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    kevins007 likes this.
  14. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here are my thoughts on the choice as they apply to me. Prime's 22 miles isn't enough for me with a 53 mile or so 1-way commute. But it will cover the stop and go rush hour traffic and city driving portion of the trip. Possible plug-in at work and repeat home. I figure half my drive could be electric, greatly decreasing my gas consumption and reserving that for use on the highway portion.

I also dislike Chevy in general, though the Volt would more fit my needs with it's range. The Bolt seems like it will be way too small. I've survived two totalled Priuses and a tiny car no longer interests me.

What concerns me is how to plan for the future. I would like to go full electric, but the infrastructure isn't there yet. Especially in rural areas. How long will it take? Will Prime be obsolete in 1 year, 3 years, 10, or longer? If that infrastructure gets built quickly, Prime or any PHEV will have no resale value as full electric will be the rage.

One more thing to consider is battery degradation. My understanding is the batteries will degrade over time and use, leaving less miles available per charge. If the range closely matches the commute, degradation could be a factor. Throw in snow and cold, and how many EV miles would be available for a commute?

So for me at this time, it boils down to Prime, Tesla M 3, Volt, or Bolt, in that order, though Model 3 is at least a year or two out. I may wait for the 2018 Prime to see what adjustments they make and maybe for a better comparison to Tesla 3 if they become available for the general public in a reasonable time.

I hope my ramblings regarding my issues help with your decision.

kevins007 likes this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Many new advanced and exciting plug-ins on their way over the next 2-3 years. Like getting the next iPhone/smartphone, but with 1-2 more zeros at the end of the price tag.

kevins007 likes this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow sorry about experience ... I am pleased the Prii hopefully kept you safe.

kevins007 likes this.
  17. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am going to wait and see too. In all honesty, if the price of the Prime is too high, I will not buy it. Yes, not having to buy gas is nice, but there is a price point that makes it not such a good deal.
    Finally, thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate it.

#17 kevins007, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    PriusC_Commuter and bisco like this.
  18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Volt's back seat is cramped. I would call it a 2 + 2. The driver's seat was more comfortable than the Prius. Every hybrid and EV will need the battery replaced some day. Maybe it happens while under warranty, maybe not.

The instrument cluster in Mom's 2012 Malibu is acting up. GM's quality may have improved but then again, maybe not. They did use substandard and/or defective parts and tried their best to get away with it.

You'll have to figure out average fuel usage based on the length of your trips and how much external charging you expect to do. My guess is that the old PiP will still beat a new Volt.

From an outsider's point of view, the concern over the number of EV miles is misplaced. Cold weather tanks everyone's fuel economy.

Right now in NJ it is cheaper to run my Prius on gas than it is to charge an EV.

kevins007 likes this.
  19. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I really have my doubts that GM's quality is comparable to Toyota's. I have been reading that both the 2016 and 2017 Volt had issues with leaking oil. And it appears to be a well known issue with that car.
    And I have a funny feeling that my decision will be made once I drive the rental Prius 400 miles on Wednesday. I have never driven one before, and this is my way of insuring that I like it.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is pretty spacious inside. You sit high, kinda like a Matrix or an Outback type height. Think of it as a bigger Fit. It's more spacious than it looks.

But I understand the physical size equation and yes the Prius is quite a bit bigger. I'm curious to know how much the Bolt weighs and whether it's comparable to the Prime. The Volt is heavier I think but not by much.

kevins007 likes this.