1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking getting a 2012 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by joachimz, Jan 21, 2012.

1. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I currently drive a 09 Camry Hybrid (bought Mar 08) with ~ 78k miles, no issues whatsoever, just regular service. Have a 50 mil oneway commute (Temecula to San Diego) and average ~ 43mpg for commute and including weekends ~ 40, try to flow with traffic (cruise control at 70).
    Have been thinking to get a Prius and was going to rent one for a couple days to see how the commute would really feel. Well I got rear-ended after xmas and have had a Prius as a rental for 1.5 weeks already and another week to go.
    First impressions are mostly positive, seating is ok but not as good as Camry (leather power seats) but getting used to it. Mileage is ok, getting ~ 55, had hoped for 60, but the rental is 2 yrs old with 46k miles and the front tires were replaced with regular, not LRR tires. That must have an impact. I drive the Prius pretty much like the Camry.
    Steering in the Prius feels much better than the Camry which feels really "loose" with no contact to the road.
    I was somewhat concerned about power but no issues with that, in power mode actually feels almost quicker than the Camry.
    I was really excited to have the EV mode option but that is more disappointing as it doesn't engage in the mornings driving out of the garage and limits to 25 mph and I know I can go 43+ but still.
    I miss my Bluetooth, which is why I'm glad to see that the 2 will have that standard in the 2012 but even more I miss the JBL audio, the standard audio is not impressive but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Once I get my Camry back from repair (I have it at the toyota dealer) I will see what they will give me as a trade-in and if pricing works out I will likely become a Prius owner. Definitely the 2012, likely the 2 but potentially the 3.

Just wanted to say will be mostly lurking around here for the time being, if I pull the plug I will update.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to get up to a Softex (leather like) drivers seat with power adjust, have to get the '12 four which has the higher end audio also. Price is steep though. Sticker should show a little over $29k. The '12 Three audio should be pretty anemic.

The '11 Three still has the improved audio. Not amazing, but it's gets out of its own way with some extra highs and lows. Plain three has bluetooth also. You just give up the 3 door smart key, USB, nav and touchscreen in a plain Three 2011, or with nav has that with 1 door smart key.

3. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want real leather, you'll have to opt for a 2011. I would be concerned about faux leather being too warm. (Heck, I don't like to have leather seats unless they are cooled.) Maybe someone with experience with both leather and Softex can comment.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 2012, I'd go with the 3 to get 3-dr SKS like the Camry (the Prius 2 only has the driver's door). It will also bring in the Display Audio w/ nav and Entune.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you want more electric, sign up for the pip!

6. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for your responses, I'll be ok with cloth, don't think that a 4 or 5 is worth it (to me), plus, kids are now teenagers and cleaning up is not such an issue anymore :).
    I got used to the 3dr SKS on the Camry, never really took the fob out of the pocket, but that is more of a convenience thing than a must but I will compare pricing on 2/3 to decide once I get to that point.
    I registered for the PiP early order list but decided that at 32k it is overpriced for me, even built a spreadsheet but couldn't convince myself that it will make financial sense over a 5 year period, would have liked it though.

For now I'm thinking the Prius handles better than the Camry, it is shorter and does not feel as "smooshy" as the Camry, wife made the comment tonight that it feels better for her than the Camry.

I have another week til I get my Camry back, will be interesting to see how it will feel driving that car again after 2.5 weeks.

I also see that dealers in the area are starting to get 2012s in finally, hoping but the time I get around to it there will be plenty inventory and deals.
    I bought my Camry Hybrid on Mar 1 2008 (a 2009 model) and I paid under invoice, starting the negotiation off throughout the Costco program, 3 months later they were selling above MSRP as gas prices went way up.
    Now people have gotten used to high gas prices (~3.70 in my area) and it seems there are more trucks/SUVs than ever before, so I have some hope on deals :)