1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of Buying - Need Feedback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coolbreezeny, Jul 14, 2005.

1. coolbreezeny

coolbreezeny New Member

I plan on buying a car in the next week or so and am considering a Prius or a Camry. I currently own a '93 Camry and it's been great. I'm real interested in the Prius, but after checking it out I have several specific concerns that I hope you can comment on:

1) The rear window seemed to give me a small field of vision in my rear view mirrow, and the split glass (above and below the spoiler) was distracting.

2) The trunk space seemed small, particularly if using the cargo cover. I understand that if you remove the cover you have all the hatch space to use, but sometimes you want to keep your belongings hidden and also stacking stuff in the back would seem to increase the rear view vision problems I mentioned above.

3) I currently can fit two adults and a child fairly comfortably in the rear of my Camry for trips of some duration, but I'm concerned about being able to do that in the Prius.

I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's a non-issue. You get used to it like any other new car. The view is narrow but not a big deal once you get used to it.

Guess it depends what you haul. But it's about the same as the Camry. I've taken my family of 5 and all the stuff we needed for 9 nights away from home during a Disney Cruise in our Prius. It was packed, but it fit. I've recently removed, semi-permanantly, the cargo cover as I found I rarely wanted it and it really increased the cargo space. But it isn't bad even with the cover in place and it folds up out of the way nicely if you need to access that space. Also, you can always keep the roll-up tonteau cover in the car if you want stuff 'hidden' in the back.

It will be tight, particularly if you have the child in a car seat or if the adults are average size or larger. I wouldn't want to be one of the adults in the back in that situation for more than a short ride (30-45 minutes). If this is a frequent need for carrying that many people then you should be careful when you test drive the Prius...bring the kid and borrow a couple of sales people and check it out.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi coolbreezeny and welcome to PriusChat!

Well, I have an 02 Camry XLE and an 05 Prius so I'm more than happy to help.

1) The lower glass will help in tight spaces. It's distracting at first but you'll get used to it. As a bonus, the spoiler blocks out the headlight of the vehicle behind (assuming he's following at a safe distance and not tailgating). The mirrors are quite effective so you can try and adjust those if you're concerned about visibility while backing up.

2) It does seem small but note that there's a false floor. You may fold up the floor for extra depth to use in conjunction with the tonneau cover or simply stuff your belongings below the floor. On a recent road trip, I had luggage for 4 (3 backpacks and one medium-sized luggage) on the "top" layer and I managed to stuff all the shopping below. This is with the tonneau cover pulled open, of course.

3) The Prius is definitely narrower than the Camry. (At least the current generation Camry). The width is more in line with the current Corolla. However, Dr. Evan here has been able to fit 3 child seats abreast at the rear. Depending on how large the seats are and how skinny the passengers are, you should be able to do so comfortably.

Note that the all-new 2007 Camry will be released next spring and the updated 2006 Prius will be released this November.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

1. Updated 2006 Prius? Where did that come from?
    2. If you need to ask many questions you're not ready to buy.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)All over the net. Some minor suspension improvments that it isn't clear if it will be on the US models or not. Other things seem to be interior things like an option for leather....others will remember the details but there's been much discussion.

2)I don't start asking a lot of questions until I'm ready to buy and then I use the answers to guide my buying decision. In fact, I've already bought and owned my car for 20 months and I still have questions.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Over at PriusOnline, Michelle gave confirmed details of colour choices (exterior and interior)

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1) The rear window seemed to give me a small field of vision in my rear view mirrow, and the split glass (above and below the spoiler) was distracting.

Like any new car, you get used to the things that are different about it. The split rear window was a little distracting at first, but I'm used to it now. I bought my car in April.

2) The trunk space seemed small, particularly if using the cargo cover. I understand that if you remove the cover you have all the hatch space to use, but sometimes you want to keep your belongings hidden and also stacking stuff in the back would seem to increase the rear view vision problems I mentioned above.

I can get more in the cargo area of my Prius than I could in the trunk of my Saturn. It's all in the design. The Saturn was designed poorly, the Prius is designed very well. Plus, if you have no passengers you can fold down one or both of the rear seats. And you can also fold back the front passenger seat so you can fit really long things in and still close the hatch. I returned half a dozen 2x4x8s to Home Depot that way. My cargo area is stuffed and the cover still slides over it all. Makes me look neater than I actually am.

3) I currently can fit two adults and a child fairly comfortably in the rear of my Camry for trips of some duration, but I'm concerned about being able to do that in the Prius.

If the child is in a carseat, not so comfy. Otherwise, fine. Or as fine as any trip of duration with a small child.

I strongly suggest a test drive of the Prius. If you still think a Camry is right for you...wait a year. A hybrid Camry is coming out in 2006. You might be able to talk your dealer into putting you on a list for that now.

Keep in mind this year that if you buy a Prius you'll get a $2000 rebate on your taxes. Next year you'll get $500. This year you'll get nothing for the Camry. Next year you'll either get $500 for the hybrid Camry or something with Bush's Energy Bill.

You've done the right thing to come hear and read up on it. Here are some more links for you to read:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_news.shtml

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs.shtml

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    1) The rear window:
    At first I thought it was small/narrow, but now I know that the lower rear window actually gives you better lower visibility than a “regular†car. Very helpful for parallel parking when you can see the bumper or grill of the car behind. The Prius window is also much closer to the location of the Prius bumper . . . easy to tell where the Prius ends. I don’t feel rear visibility is limited now that I have learned to habitually use the passenger side mirror . . . which I never had done in 25+ years of driving.

2) The trunk space:
    VW Passat: Cargo Volume 15 ft³
    Prius: Luggage capacity (cu. ft.) 16.1

http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pd...assat_specs.pdf
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/specs.html

3) Rear seat room:
    It is larger than it seems from the outside. Most adult passengers are amazed at the leg room. I have had many rear seat passengers say, “That’s OK, you don’t need to move your seat that far forward.†In fact, I didn’t adjust the seats, and they are always set about 3/4 the way aft.

Three adults fit comfortably in the back, so I guess it depends on the kid carrier . . . but the adults can still stretch their leggs.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ditto on No. 3. Most, no, all were amazed at how much room there was back there. They even asked if I intentionally moved the seats forward.

10. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Yeah, theres legroom in the back seat, but not a ton of width. I am large but not huge. With the carseat in the middle, sitting to the side isn't real comfortable. Not sure how it would be with the seat to one side. W/O a carseat, it probably is ok, but 3 adults still would be tight.

I'm use to the rear window, but still don't like it alot.

11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read somewhere on this board that someone rented a Prius before they bought one. A lot of the Toyota dealers also have car rental services. Call around and see if you can rent one for the weekend, and then load it up and try it out.

(Just remember that their is a false floor in the hatch area. You pull a little strap to open it up and you can either fold it back and prop it up with a prop rod, or you can remove it altogether to get more cargo space.)

12. meeminator

meeminator New Member

I just went from a '95 Camry to an '05 Prius with no regrets.

I thought so at first, too, but you do get used to it. I was actually pleased to see the window extended a bit more on the bottom once I got in it. From the outside, I thought it was just the top part of the window available.

I haven't tested this out thoroughly, but it seemed roomy enough for me.

So far it's only been me in the car, but I only need room for one husband and three cat carriers.

Oh, and one bonus I hadn't considered - I have a little bit more room in my garage now.

13. myride

myride Junior Member

8) id have to agree with the renting of the car. try it out with the 2 adults and car seat. also unless u have more than 3 people in the veh you can lay down one of the rear seats and it increases the cargo space. my mother had a 93 camary and sold it to my brother-in-law who still has it and the size inside is close. it will come down to if you can deal with the rear window. i can and its not bad to me. whatever you do you cant go wrong (as long as you stay with TOYOTA brands) :mrgreen:

14. coolbreezeny

coolbreezeny New Member

Thanks to all for the feedback. We decided to take the plunge into Priusdom and will be picking up our Driftwood tomorrow. Thanks again!

15. myride

myride Junior Member

No matter what happens after you get your new PRIUS if for some reason you don't want it i am sure that someone will love to take it off your hands for what you gave. Then you can get the camary. So as i see it its a win-win situation. Good luck and make sure when you pick it up you have your inspection sheet that is on this site. Print it out and you will be armed and prepared for YOUR RIDE !!! :mrgreen:

16. papasam45

papasam45 New Member

I am getting a new Prius soon where can I get a copy of the Inspection sheet that is on this site. Thanks Sam

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's in the File Library.

18. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Congrads Coolbreezeny., you'll not be sorry, and if you change your mind you will get a good deal on a sale to someone, everybody wants one! With a little work you will get great gas mileage, the 3 in the back may be just a bit tight, the rest is no different then going to another car, you get used to it and in some cases appreciate it. Wish I had spotted this thread before, I was one looking for economy, but with adequate creature space and confort, and believe me, this is it. Your only other option will be to sell the Pri and get the Camry Hybrid, but don't expect the pay back and performance like this car. The Camry will cost considerably more, and the mileage gain will be small compared to the conventional Camry. By good use of coasting, and feathering back to trigger a glide or coast, you can boost themileage in this car, many get over 50 MPG on a regular basis. I am not so lucky, but it also has to do with the environment and length of trips and other factors. I see you're in the North East, you should do fine, in colder weather and snow come back to the board, you'll need to find out how to handle the car in snow, there are good suggestions that will make you life easier.

Best regards and good luck
    2005 Silver B1 options
    1450 Miles, best mileage 49.5 mpg
    Location Port Arthur Tx (hot hot hot)

19. chile1

chile1 New Member

I live in Japan and I have a brand new Prius. Yes, the trunk space is not very generous and the view through the rear window with the spoiler is somewhat narrow, but I seem to have gotten used to all of that. Of greater concern to me was the Automated Parking Assist; basically useless, a nice party trick but far to unwieldly to have much practical purpose. The t.v. screen that allows you to view your backup area is nice but I'm still more comfortable using the old technology - namely - the mirrors.Two adults and a child in the rear seat would be pretty cozy. The tv can be used only when the car is stationary which makes good sense but a rear screen for the passengers would have been a nice touch. I Kyoto, where I live my annual car taxes are discounted by half because I drive a hybrid car and there are many other perks such as deep discount parking and priority ferry boarding. All in all not a bad car. As far as the gas consumption goes that has been very disappointing; the dealer says that I use the air conditioner excessevely!
    John

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Short trips (under 5 minutes) are a killer, but still better than other cars.