1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of HID light kit this week

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by longshot, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Steve Type-4

Steve Type-4 Trading HP for MPG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LMAO, that's from ERG isn't it?

My cheap-o Xentec 5k kit with OEM projectors have been functioning for well over a year, illuminates the road very well and hasn't blinded anyone. Matter of fact, I'm the one that is getting blinded, front and back from raised trucks with HID reflector headlights and fog lights. Temporary annoyance for a few seconds/minutes, it's not like I am getting my eyeballs seared off staring at the sun through a telescope without a solar filter.

And I am pretty sure those who love to complain about non-standard vs. standard equipment headlamps, throwing in legality rigmarole into the equation, haven't paid a recent visit to their optometrist because of a little HID beam scattering going off course and making contact with their retinas.

What's up with the petty BS that runs rampant at PC? God forbid you type Prius IV or Prius 4 instead of Prius Four or Prius V with a capital v or Prius C with a capital c, because that's frowned upon here at PC. Holy sh!et, just STFU already and get a life y0. Would you like cheese with your whine?

xcuter and ataylor2 like this.
  2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

That's just the thing, you think the photos speak for themselves in a positive way, but they don't, at all. Headlights are not designed by putting some pieces together and saying 'looks good to me.' Your vision is specifically not capable of distinguishing what is better lighting for you or for oncoming traffic. Again, that's why there are standards that must be met for an OEM to outfit their vehicle with lights.

3. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    "I said that you cannot judge the quality of light output by eye. I did not mean for you to read that as an implication that you adjusted the photos."

o_O:confused: :cry: :ROFLMAO: :eek:

ataylor2 likes this.
  4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

Impossible as it's doesn't come from the factory and will not meet stringent standards!

:ROFLMAO:

Steve Type-4 likes this.
  5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Yes, I meant that by changing the bulbs, where you have light scattered in an uncontrolled manner, you may have 'increased the light in one area to the detriment of another.'

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

So if that's the case, none of us can distinguish glare, light output OR getting blinded by headlight? So since none of us can and and only standards can, how will you know if you're being blinded by non OEM HIDs unless the standards tell you that you are! :confused:

Steve Type-4 and ataylor2 like this.
  7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

Are you doing this in braille?

Steve Type-4 likes this.
  8. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All I know is the standard that Toyota uses is gonna get something killed, the OEM setup I felt was a danger to continue to use.

9. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No more confused on what to get than before, almost like shopping for laundry detergent LOL! They came in today so will update how they are and how many pissed off drivers I get.

SPH-L710 ?

Steve Type-4 and ataylor2 like this.
  10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    that's caused I blinded you with my lights.. :sneaky:

Steve Type-4 likes this.
  11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    just make sure your lamps are aimed properly first. I have yet to have anyone flash me. Also, you can clearly see where the beam is aimed at as they will be much brighter.

12. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I needed the help. With the stock lighting I could barely see past the bumper.

13. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got them installed, not too happy about the brightness. Honesty I think the high beam halogen are brighter. On my 2011 outlander the low beam hids were brighter. They look good but for brightness ehhhh. Should I have to still aim the lights since different type of setup now? One pic is with high beam on one without. Sorry not good pics will get better ones when I am out and about. Excuse the mess :) also these are plug and play no modification at all.

SPH-L710 ?

Attached Files:

14. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh how about recommendations on halogen high beam bulbs that bright white and reasonable price.

SPH-L710 ?

15. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are gonna have to get it out on the road, it looks way brighter to me, but then again I am using my eyes. Yes you will still need to adjust it.

longshot likes this.
  16. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife's 2010 Cadillac srx4 has factory hid will set them side by side comparison also. It does look bright in the pics. Will try to align them see if that helps. They for sure don't go out very far.

SPH-L710 ?

17. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I changed the projectors on mine too which makes it different, but I had to go up a good deal now I can see signs and reflective things really far away. There has been debate about if mine are too high, but I never see the face of oncoming drivers, maybe because they are ducking.

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Using a flat wall to compare is best. Why not plug in a halogen on one side and compare? The HIDs are and should be clearly brighter like in your Outlander.

longshot likes this.
  19. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The high beams should be brighter on the Prius; they are fantastically good for any vehicle. You should not need to re-aim the lights as the cut-off shield is just physically cutting off the source. Aim them up and you'll be really blinding to other drivers.

20. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you want whiter or brighter high beams? Halogen only comes in one color so anything 'whiter' is being filtered so will be somewhat dimmed. The brightest halogen bulbs you can use in the Prius high beam is the HIR 9011 bulb. You'll have to modify the mounting tab slightly to fit. These are about 40% brighter than the stock high beams.