1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of HID light kit this week

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by longshot, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Well my HID modification is not contrary to any laws here in Australia.

What more evidence do you want, on a chat forum, than photos, which actually replicate those taken by others, including myself, in other threads on this subject?

[quote="zhenya, post: Hmm, so you have the mythical halogen projector that just happens to be precisely designed in just such a way that it can precisely focus two completely different light sources? You'd better get down to the patent office stat.[/quote]

I actually have real halogen projectors and they do a more than adequate job from two light sources which are the same in each headlight. They have markedly improve night visibility and improved my capacity to avoid kangaroos, a persistent danger where I live. I have never had another driver flash me or complain about the glare from my headlights.

No one is claiming that the halogen projectors are the perfect solution. Just that they are adequate for the job and the least complex solution for a lighting upgrade.

I usually ignore annoying posters like you but you win the prize for stupid persistence.:rolleyes:

Sfcyclist and ataylor2 like this.
  2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Based on his work, it appears that the lens used in HID projectors might even be the same. HID Projector Beams Output Comparison

Since HID's run cooler, heat isn't an issue. If the lens is to simply to spread the light, increasing the intensity shouldn't matter. I would go as far as to say, based on jvxdriver's notes, the lens for HID projectors and Halogen seems the same. He used a set of E30 projectors in one of his tests. What seems to be better in the HID projectors are the cutoff screens. Anyone want take one of the Prius projectors aparts??

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I did when I hit a roo in daylight. I had run the HIDs for 50 or 60,000 KMs at that stage. I can't say anything about the geometry of the lens but it and the reflector were clean, in fact the interior of the headlight was like new. No apparent damage from the heat of the HIDs.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A popular upgrade for projectors is mounting lenses from the Acura TSX projector. It is sold by TRS, The Retrofit Source on their website and on ebay.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The lens is only a single part of a system. It works in conjunction with the projector bowl, and both are designed to work with a specific characteristics of the light source - which parts are lighter and darker, where the boundaries of the light source are, whether those boundaries are sharp or fuzzy, the shape of the light source, etc. The differences are not necessarily obvious to the naked eye. Do you think you could look at two pairs of prescription glasses and detect the differences in the lenses by eye?

6. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Australian laws are even more restrictive than the US laws. In short:

You can legally fit HID headlights IF
    1. The headlight assembly is specificaly designed for HID lamps and is ADR approved as such.
    2. There is either a self leveling mechanism in the headlight or the vehicle has self leveling suspension
    3. There is a washer system of the correct type fitted to the headlights.
    4. All headlights must be correctly aimed.

Here is the link to the specific law.
    Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 77/00 - Gas Discharge Headlamps) 2006

Note the length of the document dealing ONLY with gas-discharge light sources. Also note the extensive detail that is specified for photometric compliance - ie. glare control for oncoming vehicles.

7. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What do you want to know about them? I have mine out on the table.

8. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

Open them up to see the components. Would like to see the cutoff shield specifically.

zhenya,

"
    "Do you think you could look at two pairs of prescription glasses and detect the differences in the lenses by eye?"

Are you SERIOUS HERE??? And if you can't, clearly this is YOUR issue. This is a projector and we're seeing the results.

I drove my 2nd Gen Tacoma with Halogens this morning. On the same street which I took those photos which you claimed to be adjusted, the glare from the low beams was so bad that I thought I had my high beams on. I'd shoot YOU photo to compare but it's clearly pointless. NTL, if you haven't got the point yet, you continue to push your the same non-sense, "can't detect with the naked eye", not OE, nor care about the components that make up the projector, why do you insist to be part of this conversation?

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/thinking-of-hid-light-kit-this-week.133596/page-4#ixzz2ikIr5xCQ
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

Feri said it best, "posters like you but you win the prize for stupid persistence."

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your lack of reading comprehension (even after I clearly clarified my earlier point - I don't know how it could be written any simpler - ie. I never claimed you adjusted those photos) is astounding. I'm glad you think you can tell the details of how a lens has been ground by eye though. It shows the level of technical competency we are dealing with here. I guess you should write a letter to the NHTSA and the UNECE telling them that their guidelines are a waste of time. Just hire SFCyclist to come in and he'll tell you when it's good enough. :rolleyes:

It's a shame that you feel like taking the effort to understand a technical issue is 'stupid persistence'. Again, sounds awfully similar to anti-science folks who are basically saying 'who needs facts when I've got a good opinion?'

I'd call the general atmosphere on this board regarding headlight modification based soundly in 'stupid ignorance,' and you are the current poster child. If you want to make these modifications, fine. At least own the fact that you are a hazard to other drivers on the road.

10. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sure thing, I will post pics later on.

Sfcyclist likes this.
  11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Nice.. look forward to seeing that.

jeez this guy is annoying..

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fact is aftermarket HID bulbs in the stock gen III Prius projector is actually better than some stock HID or LED headlights in other cars directly from the factory.

You have nothing to worry about with HIDs in your gen III Prius.

ataylor2 likes this.
  13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So this is FACT, I'm sure you wouldn't mind providing links and references to studies and measurements from experts in the field? ;)

Just messing with you... :D

SCH-I535

Steve terry likes this.
  14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

I'm def. not but I can tell the difference because I own an iphone 5 and oh.. btw, I see dead people.. :ROFLMAO:

ataylor2 likes this.
  15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol, don't even get started on an iPhone Android debate. :rolleyes: :D

Say hi to my MIL. ;)

SCH-I535

16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Oh, there's no debate, when I was issues the phone by the authority, they clearly stated iPhone is best.

She was helping during the test.. she was standing next to the stop sign. :eek:

17. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1000.JPG IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1002.JPG

Sfcyclist and longshot like this.
  18. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's the Design Rules, not the Laws. Even OEM fitted lamps don't comply with parts of those rules, particularly the washers.

PS Australian design rules have a history of being reactionary and illogical. At one stage they banned turn signals because people might be confused by them.:(

19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Very nice pics ataylor!

ataylor2 likes this.
  20. ataylor2

ataylor2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius